Free Member
Dec 29, 2020
Smack on the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire border
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducatto Compass
Exp
Don’t call me Lord call me Paul and I’m a very skint newbie
I’ve got a very old motorhome and I’ve done a full reverb I’ve had 2 of the tablet style dehumidifiers. I’ve bought an electric one to save the cost of tablet replacement. I have now been told by a caravan owning friend that dehumidifiers pull damp into the motorhome therefore defeating the object. Thought you friends on here would know for certain

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
They won`t pull damp in, it has to be there to start with but ventilation is essential and if sufficient you shouldn`t need a dehumidifier

By the way w2f

Have you cured any source of leaks in the structure ?

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Only because as the dry out the air, more air comes in from outside through vents/cab screen heater vents etc.
Its a debate what they do but having some air movement by cracking the odd window/skylight certainly works.

Also do you have any damp issues with the "old van" if maybe, then wise to get a damp metre and check so you can get them fixed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I don’t use them and never had damp. They won’t however make anything worse.

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993

Worth a read, and you need to use one with an auto drain plug so that the water can escape (down a sink) or some such so that your not sucking in water that goes into the tank, which then turns the machine off when full. As for ventilation, not so sure about that unless your in the same room as the dehumidifier, never needed one in a van but used plenty in houses, refurbs, leaks etc in cold weather your just sucking in moist air from outside I would have thought. :xThumb:

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
They work well to clear up a bad leak or spillage of some sort but once the van has reached the humidity of its surroundings just turn it off. In general, they don't seem to be regarded as a good idea from what I read and I personally would only use one for occasional condensation, not on all the time.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
They won`t pull damp in
Think they do.... if they did not then once van was dry dehum would switch off and no longer be required ... but they don't.. they either keep running or cycle back on once humidity increases....So where is all this moisture coming from if not from outside???

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Had a Fiat Doblo camper for a couple of years, now upgrading to something slightly bigger.
This is, I guess, an allied question. Our van (see the Avatar) is stored outdoors in a locked compound. This is the second winter of our ownership. I don't recall any problems during the first winter, but a couple of days before Christmas I went to take the van out and the inside of the front windscreen was covered in a heavy layer of condensation which took some considerable time to get cleared. None of the other windows were at all affected. I'd appreciate any advice on what's caused this and whether there's anything (such as a particular setting of the heater controls, for example) that would help to minimise it.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Think they do..

Well yes, once the air inside the van has reached a point where the air has less humidity than the ambient air outside, then any air entering the van through vents will be dried by the dehumidifier.
Ideally you don't want to be drying ambient air so turn it off at that point.
I've never found the need to run a dehumidifier, I just ventilate well and don't heat when not in use.
Works for me

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Our PVC also sits outside with no condensation problems... However 3 weeks ago I put a small fan heater in temporarily to heat lithium batteries up so I could charge them... the following day there was copious amounts of water running down windscreen.
Therefore in my view heat equals moisture.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Don’t waste your money on a dehumidifier,spend it on sex,drugs and rock’n roll :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
I use a dehumidifier that prior to buying the moho last year did sterling survive keeping the inside of my boat dry enough to prevent cold. It is designed for the job (i.e. it is not a domestic one) and has auto settings that mean it runs only when humidity reaches a certain point.

On the subject of ventilation, I am confused. My prefab concrete garage with a corrugated asbestos (yeah, I know . . .) roof has ample ventilation but still gets condensation inside. Likewise my log store, which is a tarpaulin over a metal frame and open to the elements at both ends often has condensation inside it. In both instances, it may be that too much ventilation is the problem rather than not enough so I err on the side of caution and shut the van up tight and let the dehumidifier do its work.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back