Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Lower Froyle, Alton, Hampshire Surrey borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
After a first 4 week tour in May I parked my new Burstner on the drive, emptied fresh and grey water tanks leaving taps open, gave a general clean and placed the dehumidifier inside to dry out any remaining condensation.

Over the last 6 weeks I have been emptying as much as a litre of water every 3 days and it hasn't stopped yet!! No sign of damp anywhere. It's a mystery!!

Any ideas anyone ??

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
get rid of the dehumidifier.. it's sucking damp in from outside..

if the van is damp the source needs to be found and repaired.. I never have damp and have never used a dehumidifier.. just ventilation.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... basically what Jim said!

Dehumidifiers in MHs are just NOT needed unless there is a problem already and you need to dry it out due to that. There is no reason at all to use them in a MH normally ... in fact IMV they actually encourage more damp air to enter the MH in the first place to replace what has been sucked out!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It may also be sucking moisture out of any wood to the extent the wood may shrink and crack. You can certainly use a dehumidifier, plenty do, just be careful and not overdo it.

A litre every three days is nothing I think. You don't have a damp problem and it's either coming out of the wood, which has a natural moisture content or from outside air as suggested.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No point in using a dehumidifier in a Motorhome unless you block off all permanent vetilation . As others have said you are just trying to dry out the atmosphere.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well that's a relief. That all makes good sense. To be sucking it in. Now switched off and removed.

Thanks Guys.
Good to know you're no longer a 'sucker'! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back