Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
And it is going straight back to Homebase tomorrow, it was only a small worktop type BUT it says in the instructions in the sealed box, that it will not work below 15 C.. I suppose it is because it is an dilectic element that does not get that cold and depends on being colder than the surrounding air to condense the water droplets. Have the they read that, or do they only use them in summer.

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
The only type of dehumidifier that will work in a motor home, winter in Uk is the desiccant type. They are a bit more expensive but they will work at low temperatures.

The refrigerator type, you will need to heat the motor home for them to work.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Surely, unless your MoHo is hermetically sealed, any drier air will simply be replaced by the soggy wet air outside?
Or have I got that wrong?
That is often mentioned but dry air is denser than humid air, so it depends where the vents are. In ours the only permanently open vent is in the toilet roof. There are some vents behind and below the fridge but that is more or less sealed in.
The biggest danger with a dehumidifier is over drying any wood in the vehicle so it shrinks.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Well we have always used a Dehumidifier in every MH/Race van but after reading comments on here this year we tried it with out, we keep the bed made up & a couple of changes of clothes each in the MH at all times, we went away yesterday & we will be going back to using the Dehumidifier :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Also completely pointless trying to heat your house/motorhome unless it is hermetically sealed as all the heat just disappears through the walls and is replaced by cold through the gaps.:xgrin:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Y
That is often mentioned but dry air is denser than humid air, so it depends where the vents are. In ours the only permanently open vent is in the toilet roof. There are some vents behind and below the fridge but that is more or less sealed in.
The biggest danger with a dehumidifier is over drying any wood in the vehicle so it shrinks.
All your body windows and roof lights will be vented to some extent and all motorhomes built after 1998 have a minimum fixed ventilation requirement ( less than earlier British Vans) and a well built van will have a good balance between ventilation and heat retention and you shouldn't get draughts.
I doubt that any dehumidifier run in a motorhome would dry out wood to the extent it shrinks unless you completely seal all the vents in the van including the gas drop vents.

garrettporter

Free Member
Apr 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
You will need an absorption type of dehumidifier as conventional ones will not work at the low temperatures to be found in your motorhome during the winter. These used to be industrial units only but happily they are now available at domestic type size and price. I have a feeling B & Q or Homebase sell them if not look on line. To save electricity I have ours on a timer from 12 to 15hrs when the temperature is likely to be highest as even absorption types work best when it is warmest. You will be surprised how much water they extract.
Plus, here's a guide on how to prolong your dehumidifier's life.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Meaco make some good absorption dehumidifiers, with selectable humidity levels so no risk of over-drying if properly set up.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Anyone who doubts how many vents there are in their motorhome should do a smoke test you'll be surprised where from and how much gets out.
Personally I don't see the point in using a dehumidifier better to remove all the soft furnishing and open all doors.

Deleted User
Anyone who doubts how many vents there are in their motorhome should do a smoke test you'll be surprised where from and how much gets out.
Personally I don't see the point in using a dehumidifier better to remove all the soft furnishing and open all doors.

Gets a bit uncomfortable and cold though:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back