Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
IMG_0013.JPG
hello, I'm going to France in August, I have a Dethleffs eighty aclass, does anyone know which type of deflectors I need. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks for any help.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
In the last year I've driven in total about five months in Europe in two different vans and a fair bit in the dark, I have never put deflectors on and I have never been flashed once..... but it's your choice

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Just keep a roll of black insulation tape in your glove box so in the very unlikely event of being stopped you can quickly satisfy Messrs Policeman or Gendarme.
Don't waste £9.99 on fancy defectors - doubtful that they do much anyway.

.....and when you get back home you will be able to put the roll of tape back into your toolbox - unused.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Two LEGAL methods

Check to see if you have the headlamp system that deflects as well as adjust for weight loading

£5 from the Range (yes £5 not £9.99) Fresnel reflectors which DO work when positioned correctly and they have fitting instruction in for just about everything

Illegal methods
Do nothing - €600 fine
Black tape €600 fine == as it reduces the amount of light on the road (you only need one spot on Gendarme and OUCH!!) and has the tendency to melt poly carbonate headlight lens

AND there are lots of people who don't get caught but one day ......
I have been stopped and road side checked numerous times since 1991 in a variety of vehicles (mostly French) and usually got congratulated for being law abiding - what they didn't know was in the UK my professional regulatory body would be informed even if I got a parking ticket so I have stayed clean as if I got a really bad traffic offence I could have had it on my Employment file for employers to read about and not give you the job

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
For'ard, Aft, Port and Starboard Deflectors, Tractor Beam, Phasers and Photon Torpedoes, and that's just for coming back through Calais :)

Seriously though, do something to stop dazzling any local drivers coming the other way - foreign lives matter too. I can't stand the do nothing attitude - how can you compare a few quid and a bit of fiddling around at the ferry port with someone's life or future health? If you buy deflector stickers in ten packs on eBay they work out at only a few quid a pair. I rarely pay more than £3 a pair.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
You will find most of the French cars lights are all over the place from where they have had dings etc. I would go with carrying a roll of duck tape in case you get stopped. I would be surprised if you do. Even our local Gendarme patrol car blinds you as they approach.

OP
OP
dodfloss

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
Two LEGAL methods

Check to see if you have the headlamp system that deflects as well as adjust for weight loading

£5 from the Range (yes £5 not £9.99) Fresnel reflectors which DO work when positioned correctly and they have fitting instruction in for just about everything

Illegal methods
Do nothing - €600 fine
Black tape €600 fine == as it reduces the amount of light on the road (you only need one spot on Gendarme and OUCH!!) and has the tendency to melt poly carbonate headlight lens

AND there are lots of people who don't get caught but one day ......
I have been stopped and road side checked numerous times since 1991 in a variety of vehicles (mostly French) and usually got congratulated for being law abiding - what they didn't know was in the UK my professional regulatory body would be informed even if I got a parking ticket so I have stayed clean as if I got a really bad traffic offence I could have had it on my Employment file for employers to read about and not give you the job
Thanks for your help, it's not worth taking a chance.

Deleted User
If the deflectors are so important why have I never seen any fitted to continental vehicles using UK roads.

For the first time in 30 years of continental motoring I am now using deflectors, mainly because I have the deflectors fitted and they come with the kit, never once been stopped.

Having said that I very rarely drive at night.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If the deflectors are so important why have I never seen any fitted to continental vehicles using UK roads.

For the first time in 30 years of continental motoring I am now using deflectors, mainly because I have the deflectors fitted and they come with the kit, never once been stopped.

Having said that I very rarely drive at night.
Continental lights dip flat and do not have a kick up at one Sid like UK lights
Thay have a flat pattern
There for no requirement to fit mask or Bemdeflectors as far as I know
Bil

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Depends on how much night time driving you intend to do.
Also will you get caught Ina rain storm or? And need lights?
The Dethleff may have moveable lights.
Wouldn't worry too much!

Deleted User
Continental lights dip flat and do not have a kick up at one Sid like UK lights
Thay have a flat pattern
There for no requirement to fit mask or Bemdeflectors as far as I know
Bil

That's what they tell us,and if that is the case why do they not fit the same in the UK?

Is there still a legal requirement for headlights in the UK to dip to the left, if that is so then all continental vehicles will be illegal in the UK.

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
I've done over 40k in Europe visiting loads of countries and never used them, passed lots of police check points in France and never been stopped, if driving at night on local roads I just lower the beams by 2 notch's on the dash

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back