LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
I don't mean tyres either. I'm in the process of buying Chausson Welcome 99 on a 13 plate, only 3000 miles on the clock.
After paying the deposit to the dealer weeks ago and then being told the V5 was missing (which has now been sorted through DVLA) it now transpires that the electric bed that descends from the roof cannot be repaired for a few weeks.

As this van costs over 40k should I walk away and go for another (Just seen a new 16 plate for not much more) or run like hell, after getting my deposit of course. Disappointed.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If the
I don't mean tyres either. I'm in the process of buying Chausson Welcome 99 on a 13 plate, only 3000 miles on the clock.
After paying the deposit to the dealer weeks ago and then being told the V5 was missing (which has now been sorted through DVLA) it now transpires that the electric bed that descends from the roof cannot be repaired for a few weeks.

As this van costs over 40k should I walk away and go for another (Just seen a new 16 plate for not much more) or run like hell, after getting my deposit of course. Disappointed.
if they are "like for like" go for the newer one.

If not, decide what you need most from a m/h. If the electric bed is important what "is a few weeks " if it is what you want.

Consider carefully what is important to you. We have all made mistakes that we regret, if we are honest.

Layout and usability are the main things when buying a 'm/h. It doesn't matter how much(or how little you pay) it must suit your needs.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It's a mistake or error of judgement a lot of us newbies make when looking for our first MH... to place undue emphasis on low mileage.
3k in four years might be an alert signal

OP
OP
Dan and Jan

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
The newer model is a 717ga only a slight difference in layout, l just have to twist the dealers arm for some extras, reversing camera and the like. Plus a good part ex on my Adria. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dan and Jan

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Further to my last yesterday, I received back my deposit for the Welcome 99 as they cannot fix the drop down bed without going back to the manufacturer.
I had planned on looking at the Chausson Welcome 717ga 16 plate 500mile on the clock no extras, or have been side tracked by a Burstner ixeo IT726G 14 plate 9000miles full service history with all the extras like reversing camera Sat nav. Both same price but the Burstner is 30 mins away, Chausson 3 hrs. Both dealers. Help again most appreciate you views.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
  • Again - ignore the mileage
  • Extras - are they options you would choose to put on the Chausson?
  • Width - Isn't the Ixeo narrower, like a PVC? Might be more relaxing to drive but make interior space feel more claustrophobic.
  • Payload - on paper the Ixeo might have started out with more, but depending on the extras...
  • Location - Chausson 3h each way? Obviously significant... but which Dealer has the best reputation?
Good luck

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The mileage is just about two trips to the Costa Brava with a 6 month gap in between arriving and leaving. It could have had a full years use.
In addition, 'vans don't like being sat around. Things don't work if they're not put to work.
Get your money back.

OP
OP
Dan and Jan

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
  • Again - ignore the mileage
  • Extras - are they options you would choose to put on the Chausson?
  • Width - Isn't the Ixeo narrower, like a PVC? Might be more relaxing to drive but make interior space feel more claustrophobic.
  • Payload - on paper the Ixeo might have started out with more, but depending on the extras...
  • Location - Chausson 3h each way? Obviously significant... but which Dealer has the best reputation?
Good luck
Thanks for that.
I would need to fork out for the extras like reversing camera and radio. Roll out Awning included on the Burstner.
The Burstner is updated to 3850 already meaning more payload.
Local dealer has a great reputation, so should be ok.
Test drive tomorrow.

OP
OP
Dan and Jan

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
So much more to go wrong - as proven here. More weight. Can one of you go to bed early ? Can one of you be ill in bed ? Personally I wouldn't touch one.
It has 2 single beds as well. It's just l don't want to buy problems. Thanks for your advice.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
It has 2 single beds as well. It's just l don't want to buy problems. Thanks for your advice.

The Project 2000 Pro Lift Plus control panel on the Pro Lifting Plus electric bed system is a known weak link and replacement panels are currently taking 6 to 8 weeks for delivery as the dealer has found out!

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Electric Beds are a real pain especially when they go faulty. The one we had in a Pilote was a similar age and prone to all sorts of problems. Continually had to press reset buttons to get the thing to reset. On a number of occasions it refused to go up until it was coaxed into submission. It finally jammed and wouldn't do anything at the start of a two week holiday. A phone call to the Dealer was no help as by then we knew more about the workings than they did. We traded it while it was jammed and are now very happy with a non electric bed.

Some have a small handle that you can use to raise and lower them when they jam. We have meet others who have had similar problems and Southdown MH also had another model in with the same bed system as the Pilote that had jammed.

On one occasion we were told by our Dealer that the MH should be PERFECTLY FLAT otherwise the mechanism could jam.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Unfortunately the Project 2000 Pro Lift Plus has no manual override so if it is up and pressing the button will not bring it down, you will be sleeping on the sofa!

There is a 'secret' button in the control panel face between the lift and lower buttons which I often wonder if it accidently gets pressed during the lift/lower operation and wipes the chip memory clean.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
We purchased a burster ixeo plus 2010 last year , five months of hell , front electric bed kept playing up , condensation problems, long list of issues. Went back to supplying dealer .

OP
OP
Dan and Jan

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
We purchased a burster ixeo plus 2010 last year , five months of hell , front electric bed kept playing up , condensation problems, long list of issues. Went back to supplying dealer .
Are you Hymer now?

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
No went for a Rapido build quality much better than the Burstner , and I fancied a proper automatic gearbox and rear wheel drive so went for Mercedes base vehicle.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
We have the Burstner Ixeo 680g, owned for 12 months and been nothing but brilliant;)

Like anything in life, you're always going to get one or two bad eggs but that's no reason to tarnish any brand with the same brush;)

Buying from a local dealer is worth its weight in gold. Enjoy the test drive and let us know what you decide(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Personally I'd avoid an electric bed ... ask yourself what you'd do if you were on holiday and it jammed and you couldn't get it repaired for months ... not something I'd want to deal with ...

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
We had a 2014 Burstner Ixeo 726g special 55 edition, not a lot of headroom in lounge due to dropdown bed,
newer models have been modified. Small toilet/ shower. Not a lot of internal storage,ie no tall wardrobes .When we sat on the beds
kept banging heads on roof. Wife fell down step from lounge to kitchen a few times.
Sold after 3 months.

Ray

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
On the way home today we were discussing the bed problems we had with the Pilote. After the first few times it jammed I always had my fingers crossed when I pressed the button to get the bed down or up. Ours had a twin electric ram system as already mentioned. I did notice the new ones have a different bed system with what looks like seat belt webbing to move the bed up and down. This version has a handle. Only other comment I would make was it was noisy so you had to put cushions on the bed and make sure it was fully home otherwise it rattled and squeaked. We were both glad when it went. New Laika is much better with NONE Electric pull down bed.

OP
OP
Dan and Jan

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
We have the Burstner Ixeo 680g, owned for 12 months and been nothing but brilliant;)

Like anything in life, you're always going to get one or two bad eggs but that's no reason to tarnish any brand with the same brush;)

Buying from a local dealer is worth its weight in gold. Enjoy the test drive and let us know what you decide(y)
Right here we are decision made, SHMBO (Jan) decided that the 2016 Chausson Welcome 717 was the one for us. So off we went on a 3.5hr run down the A1 to see it. Spoke to the sales team who did a demo, well the electric drop down bed was faulty :eek:how I laughed as I drove back home. :mad:
After having a serious chat we decided on a complete layout change, maybe a Autotrail Apache 700, go large.
On going to the local dealer to look at an Autotrail, we stopped again at the Burstner ixeo 726g 55. When we realised the drop down bed was manual the deal was done. We will be doing the deed in 2 weeks, bye bye Adria, hello Burstner. Happy days.:)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Right here we are decision made, SHMBO (Jan) decided that the 2016 Chausson Welcome 717 was the one for us. So off we went on a 3.5hr run down the A1 to see it. Spoke to the sales team who did a demo, well the electric drop down bed was faulty :eek:how I laughed as I drove back home. :mad:
After having a serious chat we decided on a complete layout change, maybe a Autotrail Apache 700, go large.
On going to the local dealer to look at an Autotrail, we stopped again at the Burstner ixeo 726g 55. When we realised the drop down bed was manual the deal was done. We will be doing the deed in 2 weeks, bye bye Adria, hello Burstner. Happy days.:)

Probably why it was traded in. Someone had got fed up with it. Makes you wonder what they are going to be like as they get older. It's a horrible feeling every time you press the button and wonder if anything will happen.

(y)

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
It is the same as our first van, it was great and had no teething problems, unlike our N and B !!

Enjoy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back