Define 'Wild Camping' for me. (1 Viewer)

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
If a person lives in the back of his/her van parked anywhere and sleeps there at night but no one hears him/her snore or sees him/her wash up, is he/she actually there at all?

JJ:Cool:

Sounds like (s)he should should work in the police .:winky:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Define wild camping

I can only assume that you have seen a van that you like, and am trying to work out a budget to live a travelling lifestyle? :Confused::Confused:

Or else you have said van and dont know where to empty the loo :ROFLMAO:

Come on, spill then beans....:shout:

S

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If a person lives in the back of his/her van parked anywhere and sleeps there at night but no one hears him/her snore or sees him/her wash up, is he/she actually there at all?

JJ:Cool:

depends if they have a kipor or a honda....:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
for fear of repeating the posts on here....

the clues in the word.....wild = desolate, isolated, at one with nature.

the corner of a carpark, layby or industrial estate aint wild....its free parking/camping.

there should be so many places in this country that could be legally used to true wild camp....the yorkshire moors, the 'southern' moors, the lake district, the downs, wales.

all spoilt by the inconsiderate actions of the minority....some campers, gypsies, new age travellers etc.

same reason as many beauty(sp) spot carparks are being closed due to inconsiderate kids in cars ripping them up and partying all night.

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Many aire have free water, free toilet dump and free electricity, there seems to be a lot you don't know.

Doug...
Thats not 'wild' though Doug......thats called civilised camping!

If entirely without any of those and running wholly self sufficient, own power, water, heating etc....then you can begin to think about 'wild camping'. I managed three weeks when touring the Outer Hebrides but needed to run the van each day to keep charge up in my one and only leisure battery.

MICHAELI

Free Member
Dec 8, 2009
Shetland Isles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
July 09
Wild Camping

Visit any website re: da big bannock or the big bannock. Wild Camping with a difference. Motorhomers, Caravaners, campers with tents and most of the party going populice of Shetland converge on this great annual event. If you ever visit Shetland, make it to coincide with this event (If you are game for this kind of wild camping).

Cheers for now.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Thats not 'wild' though Doug......thats called civilised camping!

If entirely without any of those and running wholly self sufficient, own power, water, heating etc....then you can begin to think about 'wild camping'. I managed three weeks when touring the Outer Hebrides but needed to run the van each day to keep charge up in my one and only leisure battery.

This is your perception: but for me I call anything that is not in a refugee camp, (camping site) is wild camping.

An observation: there seems to be a distinct difference in the perception of those who spend there time outside the UK and those who very seldom leave the UK.

Doug...

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
This is your perception: but for me I call anything that is not in a refugee camp, (camping site) is wild camping.
Seems my perception matches yours then Doug!
If entirely without any of those and running wholly self sufficient, own power, water, heating etc....
By which I mean off any form of organised site or camping park.

As for your second observation point; there are certain countries where it is illegal to park up anywhere other than on an authorised site.

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I have to admit that 'wild camping ' in a motorhome was a term I only found after I came on the forum and it did suprise me. I quite like the term of 'wilderness camping' for the truely wild stuff though.

But this thread has at least confirmed my thought that 'wild camping' is NOT the term I want for what is buzzing around in my mind at the moment even if it is widely used on here.

There have been several posts calling for me to 'spill the beans' :)Rofl1: ) and guessing at what I am thinking about ( all wildly wrong ) and I will happily do so but I need to think about the wording and terminology first.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I have to admit that 'wild camping ' in a motorhome was a term I only found after I came on the forum and it did suprise me. I quite like the term of 'wilderness camping' for the truely wild stuff though.
If you really hanker after the 'truly wild stuff'.....head for Parczew forests situated in the far east of Poland on the Ukraine border.

I drove through there when visiting Sobibor and i've been in some pretty wild and desolate places, but this takes some beating. You can drive for miles without seeing anyone. The place has an eerie creepy feeling about it too as this is where many Jewish partisan groups hid out and operated from during the war.

Even Sobibor itself is an eerie experience. Unlike any other camp this place was set up purely as a killing machine where the most horrific mass murders were carried out the minute they stepped off the trains. The only survivors were the very few who managed to escape when the end came near for them and they fought the SS and broke out.
It was their last chance to survive......kill or be killed.

nickhague

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
soothwestish
Funster No
Exp
extrav
wild camping

Hi seems youve rattled a few cages here, seems to me those us who do "wildcamp" just get on and do it while those who disapprove are happy to pour their derision on you.

i suppose to "wild camp" is to park up somewhere that is not "designated", this could be a supermarket car park as used by many smaller van type conversions on the continent to provide a safeish night stop, alternately it could be off the road on a moor, beach, wood etc?

Aires are not "wild" they are just nicely free (usually), here in the UK i do camp pretty much where i please but have folowed 1 golden rule, do not park on private land, public land however is fair do`s, by definition i include national trust, english herritage and the CofE as custodians of public land, camping on private farm land etc is not to be recomended.

Just remember that you are merely reclaiming for a short while that which was taken from you when 10% of the Uk population decided thet they should control 90% of the land and it seemed a really good idea to create towns and terraced housing "to give us all something to do".

20 years on the road, you called us "travellers".....and other things, seems after all we were on to a good thing, they now call it "motorhoming" assuming your vehicle is whiter than white of course ;)

many of those who have derided your question are merely jealous of others ability to "wild camp", its all about feeling "safe" innit?, i may feel safe 20 miles from civilisation others may not, they may have to pay for their "safety", the real issue perhaps is that thing of not wanting to see someone get something for nothing. N ;)

Happy Hippy

Free Member
May 16, 2010
In my bus
Funster No
MH
Scruffy old bus
Exp
Full time since April 2007, part time since early 80's
I've never really liked the term "wild camping", I just think of being parked up. I have never paid for a park up in my life nor would I ever, that would be totally at odds with the autonomy that I seek in a life on the road, so in the free parking sense I wild camp as a way of life, 365 days a year. Most of the time I park up out in the countryside well away from any buildings, although occasionally I might spend a night in a town on a supermarket car park or on a street, but I don't like towns so I only usually visit for shopping and/or to empty my loo and then head straight back out into the sticks again. Many of the white plastic factory built motorhomes costing eye wateringly huge sums of money are designed to be used on camp sites with leccy hookup, and I find it quite amusing that your average home conversion hippy van, costing maybe 2 or 3 grand for a base vehicle and a similar amount to do a good conversion job, while having fewer unnecessary bells and whistles, is in fact much better equipped to live in all year round autonomously than your typical factory built shiny white motorhome costing 15 times as much!

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
the americans have a term for when your camping in a spot with no electric, water or sewer facilities, and that's 'dry camping'

i dont believe it applies to a campsite like a CL over here, tho even they have a water tap at the very least, and it deffo does not apply to camping on a campsite that has the facilities but your not using them.

to me, wild camping is avoiding the designated camping facilites, somewhere thats not set aside for camping,

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Perhaps the chap in a hufffff would prefer Boondocking. The subject seems to have made him wild anyway.:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dummyspit.jpg
or what!!:Eeek::Eeek:

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
that's the pther word i was trying to remember, boondocking, the american word for wild camping, and as in both versions the name suggests being out in the wild/boonies, mind some estates in city centres can be classed as pretty wild..... :RollEyes:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have just had a thought (too much John Smiths Original Bitter I'm afraid)

The term "WILD CAMPING" for what we do is surely WRONG....

Pulling up in that layby with a beautiful view over the adjacent countryside, sticking on the kettle, turning up the thermostat on the blown air central heating unit and logging on to MHF and then checking your emails whilst your Fray Bentos Pie cooks away in the oven and Judas Priest plays over the stereo system is NOT (IMHO) "Camping."

Camping is surely wet canvas, rocky ground under your sleeping bag and a primus stove heating up a billy can of stream water for a cup of (milk-less) tea...

JJ

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
that's true, a lot of motorhomes have better facilities than the owners house,

roughing it means having to go one night without the sky dish raised because trees are blocking the signal,

i guess when you get down to it, wild camping prolly origionaly ment kipping under a shelter made of ferns and sticks, dinner being what you found on the trees or caught, your toilet consisting of a branch at the right height to sit on, and wiping your bum on holly leaves :Blush:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What constitutes wild camping ?
Obviously not on a campsite.
Obviously no EHU
Obviously no waste disposal or toilets
But what about the location ? are you 'wildcamping' in a free car park ?, in a paid for car park ? on a street ?.

For 90% of wild campers what they are describing is FREE camping.

Given the wildest possible situation in the best possible location. They won’t pay to stay. Make it free and you will have a queue of wild campers. :whistle:

T

TomTee

Deleted User
I like 'wild' camping when the circumstances permit. We recently toured the Outer Hebrides and didn't have much choice but to wild camp. However, one of the islands had a camp site and we felt that we should use it, if only to contribute to the local economy a little.

However, I fail to understand the 'single issue fanatics' who constantly bang on about how they have never paid for a site and never will. I'm sorry if it's financial and they simply can't afford sites because there are times when a site is, without any doubt, the best option.

Just one example: we had four days in Salzburg, which is a delightful city. The best way to explore Salzburg and its immediate environs is by using the Salzburg Card, which gives you entry into all the major attractions and is also a bus pass.

We found a lovely little site, four miles from the town, and parked the 'van there for the period. The bus stop was right outside the site and we'd four super days exploring the city, going to concerts and dining out occasionally.

We returned to our motor home every evening, knowing that it was safe and would be undamaged. We wound out our awning, put out the reclining chairs and the table and relaxed when we wanted to.

We met a lovely couple from Ireland on the adjoining plot and one night we joined them for a bottle of wine and the following evening we returned the compliment. You don't meet many other nice folks on supermarket car parks!

That was an occasion when a site was the finest option. No time wasted scurrying around every night for a supermarket car park or a spot near the gas works!

On the way home, taking our time through the Black Forest, we wild camped a couple of times, and that was fine as well, but we didn't need to leave the 'van all day as we were motoring on.

I just wish that people were honest and, instead of all the bull about loving the freedom blah blah blah, they'd just admit to being tight as a duck's whatsit and tell us that the reason that they wild camp is to save money!

As I said though, I accept that there are obviously a lot of poor motor homers who can't afford sites and must wild camp and that's fine, just stop telling us a load of bull about why you do it!

Finally, coming back from Italy last month we stopped at a site in Switzerland for one night. It was pouring down and I simply couldn't be bothered plugging in! I've two leisure batteries and a solar panel so I switched the fridge to gas and we settled down to watch some telly.

Some bloke from up the road knocked on my door to ask me if I knew that there was EHU, to which I replied that I did, but for one night couldn't be bothered. He was almost apoplectic! "You've paid for it, you really should use it, why use your own gas?"

I was polite and didn't tell him that the reason that I don't mind paying for a bit of gas is that I'm not tight as the proverbial and that the few pence involved was worth not having the aggravation of unwinding the lead, plugging it in and doing the same thing again the next morning.

We've become brainwashed into thinking that we must always buy at the very cheapest price, seek out the best bargain etc. etc.

Life's too short!!

Happy Hippy

Free Member
May 16, 2010
In my bus
Funster No
MH
Scruffy old bus
Exp
Full time since April 2007, part time since early 80's
I like 'wild' camping when the circumstances permit. We recently toured the Outer Hebrides and didn't have much choice but to wild camp. However, one of the islands had a camp site and we felt that we should use it, if only to contribute to the local economy a little.

However, I fail to understand the 'single issue fanatics' who constantly bang on about how they have never paid for a site and never will. I'm sorry if it's financial and they simply can't afford sites because there are times when a site is, without any doubt, the best option.

Just one example: we had four days in Salzburg, which is a delightful city. The best way to explore Salzburg and its immediate environs is by using the Salzburg Card, which gives you entry into all the major attractions and is also a bus pass.

We found a lovely little site, four miles from the town, and parked the 'van there for the period. The bus stop was right outside the site and we'd four super days exploring the city, going to concerts and dining out occasionally.

We returned to our motor home every evening, knowing that it was safe and would be undamaged. We wound out our awning, put out the reclining chairs and the table and relaxed when we wanted to.

We met a lovely couple from Ireland on the adjoining plot and one night we joined them for a bottle of wine and the following evening we returned the compliment. You don't meet many other nice folks on supermarket car parks!

That was an occasion when a site was the finest option. No time wasted scurrying around every night for a supermarket car park or a spot near the gas works!

On the way home, taking our time through the Black Forest, we wild camped a couple of times, and that was fine as well, but we didn't need to leave the 'van all day as we were motoring on.

I just wish that people were honest and, instead of all the bull about loving the freedom blah blah blah, they'd just admit to being tight as a duck's whatsit and tell us that the reason that they wild camp is to save money!

As I said though, I accept that there are obviously a lot of poor motor homers who can't afford sites and must wild camp and that's fine, just stop telling us a load of bull about why you do it!

Finally, coming back from Italy last month we stopped at a site in Switzerland for one night. It was pouring down and I simply couldn't be bothered plugging in! I've two leisure batteries and a solar panel so I switched the fridge to gas and we settled down to watch some telly.

Some bloke from up the road knocked on my door to ask me if I knew that there was EHU, to which I replied that I did, but for one night couldn't be bothered. He was almost apoplectic! "You've paid for it, you really should use it, why use your own gas?"

I was polite and didn't tell him that the reason that I don't mind paying for a bit of gas is that I'm not tight as the proverbial and that the few pence involved was worth not having the aggravation of unwinding the lead, plugging it in and doing the same thing again the next morning.

We've become brainwashed into thinking that we must always buy at the very cheapest price, seek out the best bargain etc. etc.

Life's too short!!

Well I'm one of those single issue fanatics who refuse to ever pay to park, you are quite right in saying that you don't understand, I would try to explain it to you, but since you rather offensively say I'm full of bull there doesn't seem much point as you probably wouldn't believe a word I wrote. Do you disbelieve everybody who disagrees with you?

daveshellwildcampers

Free Member
Jul 11, 2009
North lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
may 09
wild camping has nothing to do with cost !!!!!!!!!
its the places you wake up and see the most beautiul sights !!! not stuck on a sight with 20 40 other pepole around you ! kids kicking footballs at your van etc
i pay for sights !! when iam away and i do a lot of wild camping to !
if i wanted to go on a site i would have rather purchased a caravan would have been a lot cheaper
and pepole who say about stoping in supermarkets and carparks what can i say they are not what wildcamping is all about
sorry about spelling

dave

Life's too short!!

T

TomTee

Deleted User
wild camping has nothing to do with cost !!!!!!!!!
its the places you wake up and see the most beautiul sights !!! not stuck on a sight with 20 40 other pepole around you ! kids kicking footballs at your van etc
i pay for sights !! when iam away and i do a lot of wild camping to !
if i wanted to go on a site i would have rather purchased a caravan would have been a lot cheaper
and pepole who say about stoping in supermarkets and carparks what can i say they are not what wildcamping is all about
sorry about spelling

dave

We're in full agreement! True wild camping should have nothing to do with cost and I do it myself when I consider it appropriate. However, there are times when nothing beats a site and I gave an example in my post.

What is exasperating though is that the free campers, because that's what a lot of them are, simply avoid sites to save money. That's fine by me as well but I get a little fed up of the constant criticism of those of us who use sites. It's as though they have to constantly justify what they do when we all know that it's about not spending money!

I think that a rounded and reasonable person, whilst acknowledging that true wild camping is great and is acceptable in many circumstances, should also acknowledge that there are times when a site provides the best option.

I hope that you continue to enjoy your true 'wild' camping.

daveshellwildcampers

Free Member
Jul 11, 2009
North lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
may 09
wildcamping

What constitutes wild camping ?

Obviously not on a campsite.

Obviously no EHU

Obviously no waste disposal or toilets

But what about the location ? are you 'wildcamping' in a free car park ?, in a paid for car park ? on a street ?.

i dont think i know any proper wildcampers that stay in carparks !!!!
doesent your motorhome have toilets showers etc
and carnt you pay to dispose of your chemical toilets at your other orgnisations !!
people should decide what they got a motorhome for !!! you might aswell have a caravan and sit on a playing field surrounded by others !!

dave:ROFLMAO:

daveshellwildcampers

Free Member
Jul 11, 2009
North lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
may 09
We're in full agreement! True wild camping should have nothing to do with cost and I do it myself when I consider it appropriate. However, there are times when nothing beats a site and I gave an example in my post.

What is exasperating though is that the free campers, because that's what a lot of them are, simply avoid sites to save money. That's fine by me as well but I get a little fed up of the constant criticism of those of us who use sites. It's as though they have to constantly justify what they do when we all know that it's about not spending money!

I think that a rounded and reasonable person, whilst acknowledging that true wild camping is great and is acceptable in many circumstances, should also acknowledge that there are times when a site provides the best option.

I hope that you continue to enjoy your true 'wild' camping.

totally agree with this thats why we use sites when it is the best thing to do but we do enjoy finishing work on a fri afternoon and just clearing off for the weekend ending up where the roads take us !!!

wild camping has nothing to do with costs !!
and a true wild camper uses sites just as much when the occasions arise !

i think pepole who slate wild camping dont know what they are missing wakeing up to places were the scenery and wildlife are at your door not on a lawned playing field with 40 others walking around ! some peploe like that and that is down to them and what they enjoy ! ive seen them on sites with there vacum cleaners were grass has just gone on there carpet and they wont use the toilet or shower in there van ? but thats there choice not mine ! like i said when the best thing is a site i use them or if iam planning something then there great but when i just walk in the door and walk out 10 mins latter saying were of thats wild camping !! to me you have no time on booking places and i use my motorhome to its full advantage if i just wanted to stay on sites i would have just bought a caravan would have worked out a lot cheaper and then i could use the towing vehicle to go sight seeing
regards dave

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
It takes all sorts. ::bigsmile:

I've never stayed anywhere except on a site, ( or in my family's driveway ! ).

I think over here rare to see a MH parked up in some remote spot, so it naturally draws attention. I travel a very scenic route to work daily, and I have seen more MH parked up this year than any previous year. Some gorgeous places and it must be wonderful to wake up in such beautiful surroundings.

But..... No, I wouldn't do it. Never have, and don't plan to.
Maybe I am a worrier or something, but I don't believe I could relax nearly as well as I can on a campsite. I would be constantly listening for strange noises, etc etc, and would have to be ready to jump in the drivers seat & take off.

So, am I ....
Mad ? Maybe.
Silly ? Probably.
Stupid ? Definitely.
Chicken ? Yeah, cluck cluck.

Rich ? har har. :ROFLMAO:
More money than sense ? Yeah, right. :ROFLMAO:
Happy ? Yes. Woohoo. ::bigsmile:
Relaxed ? Very much so. ::bigsmile:

Like I said at the top ... It takes all sorts, and whats right for me isnt right for everyone else. Maybe my choice will change as my circumstances change, who knows.

Cheers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back