LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am always pretty fastidious about cleaning the cassette out thoroughly, and after every extended trip really go to town on it.. Or so I thought !
Took the top off it today and was shocked at the state of the inside. Opening the flap and looking down the hole I could always see a bit of something grungy ever since we bought the van, but taking the top off.. oh boy !!
All around where I could not see it has a nasty coating of something pretty darned hard.. and seemingly impossible to shift without resorting to scraping it.
For obvious reasons scraping is not an option.. As the cassette is stripped and has no seals in it at the moment I tried straight bleach..
A couple of hours soaking and hey presto !! No bloody difference at all ! :mad:

Anyone got any suggestions ( to get it clean !!!!! ) ????

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Caustic soda (sodium hydroxide), "spirits of salts" (hydrochloric acid), muriatic acid?

Check with plastic before use tyhough

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I soaked mine in Caustic Soda and it is fine. Had to do it a few time though to get rid of all the hard stuff. Some of it is lime scale so a cleaner like Harpic/Cilit Bang could also do the trick. I put caustic in the waste tank after 5 months in Spain and the just used the tank as normal for a few days until it was full. The next empty was thick with the deposit it had removed from the tank surface as it swilled about.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Ours was the same when we bought the van and decided to go down the greener route and simply use fairy liquid diluted in the flushing reservoir. Didn't solve the grunge problem overnight but after a couple of weeks I noticed like black flaky paint coming out when we emptied the cassette. After about three months the inside was more or less clean.
Our new van draws water from the fresh water tank to flush so we now have a small bottle of dilute Fairy near the toilet and give the pan a squirt before flushing and again no chemicals.Never have a problem with smell but we do empty daily where possible.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A change of diet may also be worth considering. :)

You may also have discovered something new, Type 8 - very difficult to remove. It says Bristol on the chart but I think it applies in other parts of the country. :)

Bristol_Stool_Chart.png

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would compare this to cleaning the manhole outside my house, it ain't gong to happen, do you also strip down all the pipework from sink to grey tank and grey tank to valve

I have all on keeping the outside of the MH clean, then the inside, nowhere near enough time left for inside the toilet :)(y), well I guess I could find the time if I didn't use the MH :)

Of course I am not yet retired, that might be the big difference (y)

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We have two cassettes. Just tried to save the oldest one that was in the same state as the one you describe. We tried descaler, strong solution for 24 hours - some came off but loads of hard stuff left. Then we tried the special cassette cleaner - still no good. Then we bought a new cassette.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been on the same cassette fulltiming for 7 years now. That is daily use. I have never felt the need to replace the cassette.
I do an annual deep clean and quarterly partial cleans. The annual deep clean is a full strip down. The partial cleans are full rinse out and soaks etc.

kevinktwo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2016
Gateshead
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
not yet
pedantic science geek warning - Caustic Soda =Sodium Hydroxide is an alkali, not an acid, still can burn your hands and cause impaired vision and you would use a visor in industry. Good to get that off my chest! :)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Wonder if the Coke trick will work? Seems to get rid of most similar issues?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Update..
Given all the advice so far I have tried:
Bleach
Limescale remover
Some stuff we got in Spain that will take your finger prints off if you aint careful ( Amonia based by the smell of it )
Drain unblocker

All worked a little bit
So now I have put half a bottle of each product in the bloody thing and mixed it all up !!!
There is a definite movement toward the clean end of the spectrum :)
I am gonna leave it all in there with regular swishing around and see what happens !

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Careful, mixing a number of chemicals can cause serious gas problems (e.g. bleach and alcohol, bleach and ammonia, bleach and hydrogen peroxide).

Just use that pressure washer on it, that'll redistribute it, at least :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Careful, mixing a number of chemicals can cause serious gas problems (e.g. bleach and alcohol, bleach and ammonia, bleach and hydrogen peroxide).
Agreed.. but as it is sitting in the middle of the garden ( and has been for the past 20 minutes ) without any reaction I think its fairly safe..
In fact apart from a minor frothing it seems to be virtually inert !

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
As long as the canary in the cage keeps singing, you should be fine then

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Update..
Bleach
Limescale remover
Some stuff we got in Spain that will take your finger prints off if you aint careful ( Amonia based by the smell of it )
Drain unblocker

All worked a little bit
So now I have put half a bottle of each product in the bloody thing and mixed it all up !!!
There is a definite movement toward the clean end of the spectrum :)
I am gonna leave it all in there with regular swishing around and see what happens !

Here's one idea

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thetford-...195024?hash=item5b0400f310:g:ZL0AAOxyEoFSUmSU

With the price of all those chemicals you must be getting near to break even:blush:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wonder if the Coke trick will work? Seems to get rid of most similar issues?
That's exactly what I was thinking ... can't do any harm and cheapest too ... only 17p from Lidl!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
we visit Germany quite regularly and the friend there recommended me to use an Aldi product W5 toilet tabs, just drop one in the pan. So I don't like dirty cassette's either (which our's was when we brought our Hymer) so I put a few of those tabs in the cassette and left it for a few days, shaking it occasionally, after a few day's a thorough rinse out, and it was like brand new, all the limescale has now gone. This was done during the winter layup, but I shall be carrying this job out probably every quarter from now on.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Update..

!
That is just 'amoniaco' which is used for cleaning tiled floors. The fact that you have to vacate the premises for 2 hours after using means it doesn't get used a lot by us. :D
What you should have bought was 'Agua fuerte' , sold in Mercadona, & probably others, in 5 litre containers & which is dilute hydrochloric acid. Same strength as 'brick cleaner here but 1/3rd of the price.
Mines got a marine toilet, Thetford . Before dismantling that I used it & before I was using the bio tablets along with softner which shifted large amounts in both toilet & grey tanks.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
we visit Germany quite regularly and the friend there recommended me to use an Aldi product W5 toilet tabs, just drop one in the pan. So I don't like dirty cassette's either (which our's was when we brought our Hymer) so I put a few of those tabs in the cassette and left it for a few days, shaking it occasionally, after a few day's a thorough rinse out, and it was like brand new, all the limescale has now gone. This was done during the winter layup, but I shall be carrying this job out probably every quarter from now on.
Now only available in Germany by the looks of it.. Last time Aldi had any in the UK was 2013 !

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Weird !! I will double check my local one if the present toxic mix fails..

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
When we got our first camper, the cassette had a load of calcification inside, i used thetford cassette cleaner, left it in overnight and it had loosened all of the plaque.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back