Decoding Microsoft / Windows Licence Keys (1 Viewer)

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Websites such as groupon sometimes have offers of "bargain" licence keys for Windows / Office etc. There are lots of warnings to sugest the keys are not valid retail ones but enterprise ones which Microsoft may subsequently block.

Searching online, it would appear that there is no way to check if a key is valid or what type of licence it is without installing it and activating it through the microsoft servers.

Is this true or are any of you in the know sufficiently to be able to recognise a key as enterprise / OEM etc rather than a Retail one?

I'm asking as I could be tempted to buy a licence if I could check it's validity before installation and then return it unused if not a proper retail one

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Websites such as groupon sometimes have offers of "bargain" licence keys for Windows / Office etc. There are lots of warnings to sugest the keys are not valid retail ones but enterprise ones which Microsoft may subsequently block.

Searching online, it would appear that there is no way to check if a key is valid or what type of licence it is without installing it and activating it through the microsoft servers.

Is this true or are any of you in the know sufficiently to be able to recognise a key as enterprise / OEM etc rather than a Retail one?

I'm asking as I could be tempted to buy a licence if I could check it's validity before installation and then return it unused if not a proper retail one
I've bought various copies of Office 2019 and Windows 10 Pro from Groupon, ComputerActive, etc (all reputable sources and not from eBay, etc).
Just checked the version of Office 2019 installed on the laptop I'm using, this one from \ via GroupOn, and Command Prompt returns "Retail Channel".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: dna

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back