Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
Morning funsters,

Looking for advice as I'm really not sure where to go with this. Our first van so still all new to it.

Our van has remis internal blinds fitted. I've just gone and bought a steering wheel lock - more as a deterrent than anything else. We intend to wild camp the majority of the time. My initial thoughts were to close all the blinds in the van when leaving it parked up, but then the thief wouldn't see any visible deterrent. I'd be interested to know what others do and if you think it's still worth keeping the steering wheel lock.

Cheers,

Abd'your-Rahman

OP
OP
ByronMH
Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes, I've got a couple of stickers for the CCTV and will get a couple more noting the alarm fitment. Leaving a small gap might be an idea. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
.... or it depends to what lengths you want to go. Lots of little things can help with security.

A small garden solar light left switched on at night near just a small gap in a blind so illumination shows through, may make them think someone is awake inside the van.

OP
OP
ByronMH
Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
.... or it depends to what lengths you want to go. Lots of little things can help with security.

A small garden solar light left switched on at night near just a small gap in a blind so illumination shows through, may make them think someone is awake inside the van.
Love that suggestion, thanks!

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
When camped...layby or site...the dosklok is fitted for my peace of mind and curtains drawn/exterior screen cover on
Dont ever give a thought to what a thief might think 🤷‍♂️

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I'm not quite sure why folk choose to close blinds when stored. Surely some sunlight through the glass helps keep the van aired? :unsure:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I'm not quite sure why folk choose to close blinds when stored. Surely some sunlight through the glass helps keep the van aired? :unsure:

I keep all blinds closed except a little near the drivers window to prevent UV fading of interior .

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Sunlight fades the upholstery.
Yes, I kind of understand that might be a concern to some.

But during 11 years ownership of 3 vans; and 12 years ownership of two touring caravans, it's never proved an issue for us.

OP
OP
ByronMH
Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
Appreciate all the advice folks.
How about an external flashing LED? or alarm with one.
Yeh, I'm hoping to have a few flashing LEDs fit with a new alarm. I've decided on the Growler Strikeback system from VanBitz, so hopefully it'll all be enough to deter someone. 🤞

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you mean fitting it while wild camping I wouldn't.
You ideally need to be able to drive off at the drop of a hat if such as ferel kids appear and start causing problems, throwing stones or worse.
If you mean parked at home then stickers on door glass may help.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
We came across a MH in a French aire with a pir activated light above the hab door , every time we walked passed it it came on , very imposing 👍 , I don’t think the guy was even there as we never seen him in 3 days

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
When camped...layby or site...the dosklok is fitted for my peace of mind and curtains drawn/exterior screen cover on
Dont ever give a thought to what a thief might think 🤷‍♂️

We use a steering wheel lock every time we park up
Please please please. remember that you may find yourself in a situation where you need to jump into the driving seat, open your screen curtain and drive off as fast as you can. I have had to do that a few times... very frightening.

It's no good saying oh but I don't stay in laybys,: the most frightening experience I had occurred when my satnav refused to find a site I was booked on in the countryside. It went dark and time marched on. I parked up for the night on what fitted all criteria for a safe overnight spot. It wasn't.

I also make sure I sleep in pj bottoms, sweater at the ready, with van keys so I can be in that driver's seat and off in seconds.

(Having said that, try not to worry too much as most of the bad experiences I have had are in busy laybys where I stop oin broad daylight to break my journey with a cup of tea.)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back