Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi we are off on our annual road trip and this year we have a dilemma as someone has given us a last minute thought, do we:

Ardeche, France and surrounding areas which is our normal holiday
Go through Germany, not been before, are they dog friendly etc as we have our dog with us.
Mix and match do a bit of both

Be interested in your experiences, I will put the same post on the France posts

Thanks in advance.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you have been to the Ardeche, why go there again? Germany is very motorhome friendly with excellent Stellplatz (equivalent to Aires). See lots of Germans with dogs in their motorhomes so doesn't appear to be a problem. Why not try the Moselle or Rhine valleys or both if you have the time?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We ve just done provence and ardeche for 6 weeks and spent the last 10 days in black forest rhine and just about to leave the moselle towards holland.
Our plan for September was the islands around the vendee.
Halfway round our first lidls shop in germany having already seen the diesel prices we are coming back to Germany.
The food shopping is substantially cheaper in Germany.
Probably going to try eastern germany

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Can thoroughly recommend the Moselle. Beautiful surroundings, inexpensive fabulous stellplatz and very, very dog friendly. We found that whenever we went to a bar or restaurant they would ask if the dog wanted a bowl of water before asking us what we wanted. They are even allowed on the boats which cruise the river. Can also recommend the Black Forest. We stayed here - great dog walking area.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've just travelled up the north west German coast heading for Denmark. There were many dog friendly beaches with clear signing.

We're on a Stellplatz on a marina at a place called Wackerballig at the moment. €14 with leccy, emptying facilities and toilets.

We're off to a lakeside Stellplatz at Sörup later today €10 all in.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Germany , after experiencing you wont bother with France , worth going via Luxembourg if you have decent sized tank :) Mosel is an easy start , stellplatze every 10 miles or less nice facilities and good VFM .

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
All the above are fibbing to you
Germany is horrible, horrible, horrible

I keep tell people this and do they listen ? do they heck;)
I just keep going to prove its not nice.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
As an aside anyone done the Alpine Strasse ?
Think that may be on the cards this year if the weather holds up

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We touched in and out of it this year, but found that it was easier going on the main road. It would only be worth doing in very good weather as you would only do it for the views and those mountain tops are obscured if there is any cloud.
Lots of good places to visit along the German Austria/ Switzerland border and we enjoyed it.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi we are off on our annual road trip and this year we have a dilemma as someone has given us a last minute thought, do we:

Ardeche, France and surrounding areas which is our normal holiday
Go through Germany, not been before, are they dog friendly etc as we have our dog with us.
Mix and match do a bit of both

Be interested in your experiences, I will put the same post on the France posts

Thanks in advance.
Do try Germany. Get an emissions sticker (we were stopped at a police roadblock down near the Swiss border and our sticker checked even though we were not anywhere near a city) and take extra cash as often cards not accepted at campsites.
Edit
I got my sticker from here
Broken Link Removed
You can collect one in person from one of their service centres for 6€ but I paid the extra to get one sent so I didn’t have the bother, was cheaper a few years ago but now 15€ and includes postage and allow you to pay by card.
Someone else might know of a better (cheaper) way ?

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Did most of the alpinestrabbe last year. Went from salzburg area to fussen where we caught the (imho) bit of a let down romantic road as far as augsberg.
Definitely worth the alpinestrabbe. Highlights apart from the road were king ludwigs castles chiemsee fussen and a series of stunning lakes coming out of Berchtesgaden.
I dont know that paying to enter the 3 castles for 50 odd euros each was that good a value. They tell you the same story at each one. If i had to plumpnfor one it would be on chiemsee where you take a boat to the island. Good day out on the boats and an imitation versailles hall of mirrors

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back