Decisions Decisions RV Or Mercedes Sprinter Selfbuild: (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What have you bought?
A Carthago C-Compactline i-138 A-class ... :inlove:

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
A Carthago C-Compactline i-138 A-class ... :inlove:

Congratulations! I think we had a chat about it at Lincoln. We were camped on the end of the row.

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
I think maybe you should see if you can come up with a layout that would allow you to get to the stuff you want more easily, and accommodate 3 of you?
If you can, then either sell the RV and redo the PVC, or sell both.
I don’t know enough about the way you plan to use your van in the future, but it sounds like a PVC might be pushing it anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
We think thats part of the problem in the Merc. We wanted the bed made permanently so of course thats nearly 2 meters of space taken straight away. Been looking at ways we can re model it to make things better but we can't be doing with making a bed up each day.

Why is that 2 metres of space taken straight away for the fixed bed. We have a 7metre motorhome with nearly 1 metre taken up with garage and wardrobes at the back and it has a fixed bed, it drops down our of the roof electrically. The best of both worlds.

Not sure why you like the big US RVs. We've hired them over there several times and frankly they are horrible to drive. The steering wanders all over the road, though you're probably used to that now.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Congratulations! I think we had a chat about it at Lincoln. We were camped on the end of the row.
Ah, you've got the single bed one then! Yes, it was very useful chatting to you about your experience of the auto and ownership of your Carthago (albeit a short length of time) ... seeing as you helped convince us to get ours do you think you ought to be liable for part of the cost? :D

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
The space you need is being used up by the engine and bonnet in both , so you need to go bigger (longer)
if you wont countenance the looks of a A class . Real life Tardis doesn't exist .

We've no problem with the space in the RV, with the single slide we've basically 4 different zones that we can work/relax in with out getting in the way of the other. With any vehicle I have to have something I enjoy to drive but also like the look of. A class I don't like so wouldn't enjoy the experience.

It's about getting the best solution for us. It's probably going to be that we have 4 months a year touring and the rest of the year working. So could we live those 8 months in the Merc, were not sure.

Shawn

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Why is that 2 metres of space taken straight away for the fixed bed. We have a 7metre motorhome with nearly 1 metre taken up with garage and wardrobes at the back and it has a fixed bed, it drops down our of the roof electrically. The best of both worlds.

Not sure why you like the big US RVs. We've hired them over there several times and frankly they are horrible to drive. The steering wanders all over the road, though you're probably used to that now.

Our bed is longways from the rear, floor to the top of the mattress is 110cm which gives us loads of space for water tanks and storage under it. The bed height was designed around the fact that we wanted to be able to sit up in bad and not have our heads touching the ceiling, which we can do. That just left 2300cm for the rest of the van gubbings, kitchen, cleaning, seating etc.

With your drop down bed can one of you stay in it and the other still use/get to the space under neath?

You either like the RVs or don't, we do and so do a lot of others. Also value for money for us outweighed anything else we looked at when we brought the RV 10 years ago. Think we paid around £44000 for a then 2 year old RV with everything you could want on it to be self sufficient. We looked at loads of euro vans at that time and nothing came close for the same money, in our opinion anyway.

Can't say I've noticed any wandering, can be a pain sometimes with the wider wheelbase on the motorway in the lorry tram lines.

Shawn

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
My RV didn't wander either , in fact it was about the easiest traveling vehicle on a motorway I've ever driven .
At 12mtrs and width wise more interesting in built up areas :)
I also see VFM they are pretty much a slam dunk . Long term living RVs are generally better set up than the vast majority of others . If it was me the RV would be choice over the merc. Future wise the RV is more emissions proof as well .

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
With your drop down bed can one of you stay in it and the other still use/get to the space under neath?

Of course, the bed can be at any height down to seat base height. Its designed so that 2 more can sleep underneath.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Ah, you've got the single bed one then! Yes, it was very useful chatting to you about your experience of the auto and ownership of your Carthago (albeit a short length of time) ... seeing as you helped convince us to get ours do you think you ought to be liable for part of the cost? :D
Guilty as charged!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back