Decisions decisions....Hymer Sprinter (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Hello and I wonder if you can help. We are complete newbies here and have decided to do something we've wanted to do for a long time...buy a motorhome and set off when we can. Our short-list is a VW Grand California or a Mercedes Sprinter 600. Is there anyone here that can give us advice. We'd ideally like a 4WD and also a pop up roof however the dealers we've phoned say that would have to be a special order and not ready till December. We are hoping to be ready to get on the road in September. If we had to compromise...what should that be?
Thanks
B

Sep 3, 2018
Epsom
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yellowstone
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Beatrix
How many people? Just a couple? Why a 4WD?
VW Grand California is v expensive and not vastly different from what you can get elsewhere. Despite the marketing.
We have a Hymer Yellowstone, without pop-up roof, which we've been v happy with.
I'd compromise on the 4WD.
S

OP
OP

Deleted User
Hello, just me and my husband. I'm Scottish so would like to spend time there and pull off the roads - hence 4WD. Thought we'd like to sleep upstairs and keep the downstairs for more storage. Our driveway is very small so a 600 length van is the maximum. What are the compatible cheaper makes you would suggest we look at? Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hello and I wonder if you can help. We are complete newbies here and have decided to do something we've wanted to do for a long time...buy a motorhome and set off when we can. Our short-list is a VW Grand California or a Mercedes Sprinter 600. Is there anyone here that can give us advice. We'd ideally like a 4WD and also a pop up roof however the dealers we've phoned say that would have to be a special order and not ready till December. We are hoping to be ready to get on the road in September. If we had to compromise...what should that be?
Thanks
B
My advice is as follows

Don't buy new for your first motorhome. You will lose too much when you come to change it. Generally it takes 3 goes before you get the right one (we did it in 2!). There will be plenty of second hand motorhomes on the forecourts once the dealers start opening up again.

Are you sure you want to spend a long time in a very small conversion? Why choose those? They are both expensive. For me pop up roofs are a simple no-no. Cricked neck and freezing cold in winter. Why 4WD, as they are very rare and expensive on motorhomes? Look around and see what layouts and sizes suit you. Go with an open mind and look at all types of motorhomes, not just these tiny ones.

When did you pass your test? Pre 1997 you will have a C1 licence so will be able to drive motorhomes up to 7.5t maximum weight. 1997 and later and you will only be able to drive those with 3.5t. That is important because payload (difference between maximum weight and empty weight) is very important, especially if you are going away for long trips. You need as much as you can get, especially if you are taking bikes etc.

Do not rush into it. You may be ready for the road in September, but I suspect there will still be lots a travelling restrictions in place here and in Europe then. So take your time and look around lots of dealers.

Sep 3, 2018
Epsom
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yellowstone
Exp
Since 2017
Sensible advice from peterc10 above.
As well as dealers, go to shows when they open. It took us three years of dithering but then ended up with the right one, after some close shaves of near-purchases.
Pop-up roofs mean no skylights and less light and ventilation when roof is down. And possibly rules out solar panels too. I would try to travel lighter and so reduce storage need; you don't need many clothes in a van.
Vans have a soft underbelly of waste water tanks, pipes, taps, slide-out van steps etc so you would want to avoid damage and 4WD driving would have to be done carefully.
We tried for a sub-6m van initially but ended up with 6.36, which is just so much better.
Maybe try WildAx or Adria.
One important factor is how tall you both are, and so what beds you can or can't sleep in. Anybody over 6'1" has some options ruled out. You must lie in beds on vans you look at. So take slip-off shoes.
Can you park in the road at home? Or readjust your driveway?
Good luck
S

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Do you need it to be your daily driver? If not, I wouldn’t go for the pop top roof - as others have said - freezing in winter & boiling in summer! Our Warwick Duo is only 5.9 metres, & we have our own bathroom which you rarely get in vans like the VW. IMHO the California is very much style over substance- you would still have to pee in a porta porti (or worse - a bucket!) in your 50 grand camper!! ?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Many good points made above. Dealers will be open soon I think so then you can go to as many as possible and pretend to live in them. Take a list with you of things that you might take on your travels, from books to food to clothes, bikes, bike helmets and so on. Where would you put these?
Sleep comfort is a must for me and I am 5’11” and like to be able to stretch and not feel confined, so a transverse bed (across from side to side of the van) is out in all van conversions for me. You need to take into account a pillow and the fact that your toes do not naturally stick out at right angles when sleeping .
If on the road for a while, how easy is it to get in and out of bed, can you use the loo easily when stopping for coffee, can you keep your batteries topped up with solar, can you last for a while on your gas bottle or should you consider an underslung tank, (this will help with storage inside too but limit the sort of terrain you can drive on without damage.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Have a look at The Globecar or Possl in Germany they do a few at 6m and also have a pop up

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thank you all. I just found all these replies <<obviously doesn't know how to use this site yet>>

Great food for thought.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You have a lot to learn and much advice will differ (we're all different). It'll be best to discover what matters most to you by having a try first. Hire, or buy something that will not depreciate too much.
I fancied 4WD, too, but never got one and never needed one either. Get something conventional. Buy with your head rather than heart and you'll waste less money.

OP
OP

Deleted User
You have a lot to learn and much advice will differ (we're all different). It'll be best to discover what matters most to you by having a try first. Hire, or buy something that will not depreciate too much.
I fancied 4WD, too, but never got one and never needed one either. Get something conventional. Buy with your head rather than heart and you'll waste less money.

What do you mean "conventional"? This is going to be our only vehicle (apart from bikes) so we need under 6m as we have a small driveway which can not be altered in any way.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Why don't you get both I have a hymer 655 starline..a class on a sprinter chassis a 402 or a 412?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I like your choice, for your first van though it's going to be expensice

RP motorhomes of Harrogate do exactly what you want, 4 wheel drive, 5.97 merc sprinter PVC conversion but it will cost you over 80 grand with the options.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
What do you mean "conventional"? This is going to be our only vehicle (apart from bikes) so we need under 6m as we have a small driveway which can not be altered in any way.
I meant 2WD, and a popular model at that. You are unlikely to get it right first time.

OP
OP

Deleted User
I like your choice, for your first van though it's going to be expensice

RP motorhomes of Harrogate do exactly what you want, 4 wheel drive, 5.97 merc sprinter PVC conversion but it will cost you over 80 grand with the options.

Wow that looks fab. Love what they've done to the sprinter (the beds and the pull out toilet/shower). Looks very stylish and well made. Shame they are 200 miles away :(

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Wow that looks fab. Love what they've done to the sprinter (the beds and the pull out toilet/shower). Looks very stylish and well made. Shame they are 200 miles away :(

Yes they are nice, slide out looks good too I agree, with the 4 wheel drive though, slide out and a few other options it would be knocking 90 grand, basic van is 70

Where's that lottery ticket.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Yes they are nice, slide out looks good too I agree, with the 4 wheel drive though, slide out and a few other options it would be knocking 90 grand, basic van is 70

Where's that lottery ticket.

The more we look at this van, the more we like it :eek: Have you seen it "in the flesh". Can't find anything about how the slide out works...do you know if there are any issues with this?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The more we look at this van, the more we like it :eek: Have you seen it "in the flesh". Can't find anything about how the slide out works...do you know if there are any issues with this?

Yes seen one in the flesh, lovely vans, I havnt looked in detail at the slide, it does create a nice extra space.
I would have to go into how the slide out has been constructed for long life and water tightness, seals etc, RP were at the Harrogate show last year and I have been to their showroom too, a lovely rural location.

kipling

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since Oct 1st!
Hi, we are on our second one. For us, we started off with a cheap one, a Fiat ducato base LMC Liberty 1998 left hand drive. The reason is we wanted it for Europe the majority of the time. The most important aspect over time was the layout. We had a U shaped lounge which converted to a large double bed and an overcab double bed. Trying to go to the loo in the night if you are in the above cab bed is a pain. We used it as more storage and used the U shaped lounge to a bed every night. Now on our second we are still on left hand drive and fixed rear double bed over a garage with another over cab double bed which we still use as storage. So, look at where you will be spending the majority of the time, U.K. or Europe and how much storage you need, you will be surprised!

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Do you need it to be your daily driver? If not, I wouldn’t go for the pop top roof - as others have said - freezing in winter & boiling in summer! Our Warwick Duo is only 5.9 metres, & we have our own bathroom which you rarely get in vans like the VW. IMHO the California is very much style over substance- you would still have to pee in a porta porti (or worse - a bucket!) in your 50 grand camper!! ?
The Grand California is based on a crafter and does have a full toilet facility.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We were restricted to a van no longer than 6m. After a year long search, viewing many vehicles, we’ve ordered a Sunlight Cliff 600.

Got a great deal (having compared prices with other suppliers) on the vehicle and all our extra’s. Bikes will be going on a rack on the tow ball. Payload may concern some, but being used to touring on motorcycles, we know how to pack light.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Certainly not what you may think of immediately, this is certainly a very unusual option which may not fully address your needs, but it may be one way of getting 4 wheel drive quickly. If you say no immediately I will not be offended in any way, it’s a different way of looking at the 6m and 4WD issue. This box does seem quite expensive, if you like the concept you can research further yourself....

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Certainly not what you may think of immediately, this is certainly a very unusual option which may not fully address your needs, but it may be one way of getting 4 wheel drive quickly. If you say no immediately I will not be offended in any way, it’s a different way of looking at the 6m and 4WD issue. This box does seem quite expensive, if you like the concept you can research further yourself....

Looked at demountable seriously some years ago, I did find that the vehicle bounced to and fro somewhat but best of all worlds I am surprised they are not more popular.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Looked at demountable seriously some years ago, I did find that the vehicle bounced to and fro somewhat but best of all worlds I am surprised they are not more popular.
They are not popular because they rely upon you having a pick up truck and, unlike the USA, people over here look upon pick up trucks as commercial vehicles, and not suitable for leisure pursuits. Given the size, weight and low mpg of the pick up truck needed, I doubt that will change in the future.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
They are not popular because they rely upon you having a pick up truck and, unlike the USA, people over here look upon pick up trucks as commercial vehicles, and not suitable for leisure pursuits. Given the size, weight and low mpg of the pick up truck needed, I doubt that will change in the future.

I agree, much better just having a small 6 metre or under panel van, no messing reversing to within a millimetre and uncoupling etc.

Just drive off in the PVC and return.

dr1uk

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2019
We bought our first motorhome last year after many years of looking, research, going into dealers, more research and lots of discussions with owners.

Originally, our thoughts were around a 7.5metre coachbuilt. We then come to the conclusion 7.5 metre would restrict driving in some towns and not practical to pop out for the day - we wanted something practical we could use for a short trip.

We then looked at Sprinters vans (considered 4x4 - realistically we would not travel many off-road trails) and found the base vehicle was noisy (not sure if this is common) and more expensive than other base vehicles. Also, the rear was not as wide as other vans we had looked at.

We know quite a few people who bought VW campervans and sold them within a year as they were too small for anything more than a weekend or perhaps a week away (not my thoughts but the owners we know). Also, the pop up was cold area to sleep in. We ruled these out quickly.

More research and we come across information on Fiat Ducato base vehicles. We didn't realise Fiat build these specifically for motorhomes – quieter and more car like to drive. We looked at the market place. One area where we could not compromise was on the size of the bed (5'11'' and did not want to feel cramped).

By now, our original thoughts had changed. A decent bed, something for everyday use, good insulation for year-round use, we won’t drive off road (we had a 4x4 land rover – hardly drove it off-road).

Bought our 6.36m Vantage Neo (Fiat). Used it all over the winter, no issues driving or handling, parked on tarmac/gravel on sites and when wild-camping. Use it regularly as its practical. No annoying rattles, no issues with storage, we travel light, bikes on the bike rack, bed when made up is over 6ft, easy to drive, quite cab – can’t tell its diesel. This is our first motorhome. We are pleased we took our time and thought practically, as opposed to what might be nice to have and might be useful.

I think the takeaway from this is take your time, do lots of research and look at different motorhomes. If you are definitely driving off road, then you will want 4x4. We were limited in winter as we didn’t want to pull over on anything other than tarmac/gravel – just meant driving on a bit and more planning.

May 25, 2021
Scotland
Funster No
MH
RP Rebel on order
Exp
We also live in Scotland & have the RP Rebel at the top of our list for year round travel. They've really thought long & hard how to design for off grid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back