December 2016 - Rosa's Gold (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
Sorry didn't get round to reading the December book...my Mum was very poorly and in hospital,thankfully now on the mend and came home Christmas Day.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Sorry didn't get round to reading the December book...my Mum was very poorly and in hospital,thankfully now on the mend and came home Christmas Day.
Really sorry to hear that but glad she's on the mend now. Hope she carries on improving and gets back to good health soon

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Poor Mum, it's not a good time to be in hospital. But I'm pleased to hear she's getting better and hope she'll be properly fit and well soon. Message for your Mum:

5ffe4e18bcbbbda4a39d222610508aba.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Like @Allan & Loren (sorry, I don’t know which one is writing!) I’m now glad to have read this book.

I read a synopsis of Rosa’s Gold and to be honest, I really wouldn’t have chosen it as a ‘must read’ novel – a young girl of today finding Nazi gold? – a step too far into fantasy, I thought. I read a sample and thought the writing was quite poor too. (The author himself admits that his first novel had been “singularly awful” and I wasn’t sure that he’d progressed very far.)

I downloaded the book and after reading the first couple of chapters I felt that it was so badly written – a very immature style – that I didn’t want to bother to continue, but Funster Book Club readers had stuck with my choice when they weren’t enjoying it, so I felt I should carry on.

And I’m glad I did. The writing gets better and better, and the story lines improve, as the characters develop. There are three protagonists - Nicole, Mac as a youth, Mac as an older man of 67 – and the chapters dealing with each are very cleverly written to reflect both age and culture, with varying tempo, attitude and morality as well as language. I could wish that the author would re-write the earlier chapters to reflect his later, more developed, style.

Mac’s story is told with openness and honesty and would serve well to illustrate and illuminate this location and period for teenagers. It’s sufficiently graphic to enable the reader to understand some of the horrors of Auschwitz, but not so vivid as to frighten them away from continuing to read the book. It examines fear, oppression and sublimation; but tempers the horror of these chapters by interspersing them with the story of a teenager’s gentle maturing.

I had known about the "showers" but other aspects were fresh to me and their incorporation into the novel indicate a quality of research and empathy in the author. I find these details are ‘manageable’ in the context of the story but taken separately would, I feel, be too shocking for an assumed readership of early teenagers.

The slightly brattish Nicole reminds me so much of myself that I just had to like her; following her single-minded determination to unravel the mystery is quite a lot of fun.

By the end of chapter 29 I was sufficiently ‘on board’ with the book that I’d decided that the "gold" of the title was a wedding band, which would have made sense as well as being more realistic than my imagined Nazi hoard. But then Chapter 30 started and it’s a hoard after all – just what I’d feared from the synopsis, and so unnecessary to the story that at this stage in my reading it was a huge disappointment. But as the story of the gold unfolded, it began to be more realistic than I’d imagined; it started to make sense and I realised that it was a wholly acceptable part of the tale.

The novel provides a predictable, but thoroughly satisfying, end.

I learned a lot from reading this book: not least a measure of humility.

Thank you Allan &/or Loren for bringing it to the Book Club.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Apologies for the confusion and i know it's confusing having us both on the forum as we don't put our names to comments but you're safe to assume it's Loren writing 99% of the time and always for the book club

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I sort of assumed that but you know the saying - "ass/u/me makes an ass out of U and me"

Thanks Loren!
smi12-2.gif

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry everyone I have not finished Rosa's Gold, mainly because of work, family, and Christmas. I'll try better next time

ONE HUNDRED LINES FOR YOU CHRIS...

I must do better ...
I must do better ... ;)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well, I think I saw something different in the book.

I did enjoy it, after a very slow start, but honestly wished it had finished three or four chapters before it did .. even though we would have been left with an 'open' ending as to whether the gold would be found, etc... The reason for this ... because I honestly believe that it could have been written by TWO people. Some of it was badly written and childlike (amateurish) and then it became quite well written and researched.

Then .. I read the acknowledgements at the back of the book and I am convinced this to be the case when you read about the author and his previous work... not really impressive. I suspect that one of the people he thanked for their support was the instigator of the better written chapters.

I found some of the characters a little unbelievable... the mother had lost a child but within six months had moved on from the marriage, bought a house, found a job, and joined a dating site .... as a mum I find this totally ridiculous but maybe I am wrong.

I enjoyed reading it on the whole despite all that I have written. In the sixth form at school I did a lot of reading on the Holocaust and so it brought a lot back to me ... Thanks Loren.. always good to push myself and my mind into reading something which I would not normally choose. :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I honestly believe that it could have been written by TWO people. Some of it was badly written and childlike (amateurish) and then it became quite well written and researched.
Then .. I read the acknowledgements at the back of the book and I am convinced this to be the case when you read about the author and his previous work... not really impressive. I suspect that one of the people he thanked for their support was the instigator of the better written chapters.
That's interesting and I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were right. Nicole's and Max's chapters are so differently written. If it's just one writer, then he shows a very strong talent; if not, well, it maybe makes the book more interesting if perhaps not so honest. (Though the weak bits are VERY weak...)
I did enjoy it, after a very slow start, but honestly wished it had finished three or four chapters before it did .. even though we would have been left with an 'open' ending as to whether the gold would be found, etc
I'm guessing the book was written with the teenage market in mind (?) and I think for this market the final chapters would be important, to help bring the audience 'down' from a strong and emotional read. For an adult market, I agree that an open ending might have been better than the rather tortuous one we were presented with.
I found some of the characters a little unbelievable...
Yes :D It's a bit "Bunty" Four Marys/ Enid Blyton Famous Five :LOL:

But I think that's what makes it possibly a good introduction to Holocaust truths for younger teens. What do you think? Would you agree that's his market? If so, has he hit the right note? And if not, who do you think he was aiming for - or is it loose because he hasn't decided on a target readership, and is trying to please everybody?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
That's interesting and I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were right. Nicole's and Max's chapters are so differently written. If it's just one writer, then he shows a very strong talent; if not, well, it maybe makes the book more interesting if perhaps not so honest. (Though the weak bits are VERY weak...)

I'm guessing the book was written with the teenage market in mind (?) and I think for this market the final chapters would be important, to help bring the audience 'down' from a strong and emotional read. For an adult market, I agree that an open ending might have been better than the rather tortuous one we were presented with.

Yes :D It's a bit "Bunty" Four Marys/ Enid Blyton Famous Five :LOL:

But I think that's what makes it possibly a good introduction to Holocaust truths for younger teens. What do you think? Would you agree that's his market? If so, has he hit the right note? And if not, who do you think he was aiming for - or is it loose because he hasn't decided on a target readership, and is trying to please everybody?

Wow. Agree with everything you said.... and funnily enough, at one point I thought this reminds me of the Twilight series .....( books written with teenagers in mind about vampires ...) ... You have hit the nail on the head, I believe. I don't know whether he hit the right note or not... mmm.. difficult as the sections that were well written, mainly the war period, were also suitable for adults .. and yet were also SIMPLY written.... so what WAS his intention?

The tortuous ending you describe .. brilliant expression, by the way .... was almost as though the publisher had given him a date for submission and he just reeled off the story as the words came into his head, without really working on them. I almost had the impression he had become bored with it all ..

What did you feel about the way he presented the relationship between the mother and father?

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
the mother was a bit flighty but isn't that what some people are like on the rebound? Not saying I agree with it but maybe her behaviour was to try and make herself feel better by finding a man that found her attractive and e-dating is the norm in today's world.

I think it could be written to appeal to a younger market and the contrast of the writing could be to keep the reader interested whilst at the same time giving an introduction to the horrors of the camp.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I've taken the book back to the library now so can't check... was the author young?

@Allan & Loren yes, it wasn't that she was flighty .. I can see that as a reaction to grief even .. it was the rest of her actions I suppose .. nothing gelled (jelled ?) .. but I wondered as reading it whether it was because the author didn't really have life experience of how parents feel on losing children.. ? I believe that losing her husband to alleged infidelity would be overshadowed by grief .. but maybe that's just me.. What did you think about the style of writing?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
What did you feel about the way he presented the relationship between the mother and father?
In a word - predictable. But maybe that's because it's how things happen? I really don't know. Another good Joy @movan insight: I have no children so don't know how parents relate to either children or each other.

http://www.raykingfisher.com/

Sep 30, 2008
Funster No
Finished the book before Christmas. I waited for the other reviews just in case my frame of mind was affecting my judgement, obviously it wasn't.

Would not have finished the book if it hadn't been on our list. If the author cannot convey grief over the death of someone's child , a life changing event, how on earth can they write about the death camps and the atrocities committed .

There may have been two writers involved in this book if so, neither can express human emotions. I felt quite angry that a story based on fact did not depict the horror and human suffering in a more emotional way, unless you can you can make someone feel compassion , don't write about it, especially this subject.

There should have been lots of emotion involved when Mac started experiencing the war first hand, and where were the moments when we shared his first feelings of love and lust for his rescuer.

Whole thing left me cold.

I must be honest though ,my preferred reading changes with the years. I may have enjoyed the book ten years ago, before I qualified as a forensic scientist, a coroner, a keeper of dragons, a lawyer a super sleuth.

By the way Joy, I hadn't seen you post about The Hundred Year Old Man. If you didn't read it, give it a go. I read it a couple of years ago. Enjoyed it because it was different. Can I go back to eating now. Please....

Anne

Reactions: CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I agree with so much of what you say Anne. I do suspect that this writer simply doesn't write very well. :unsure:

But I also recognise that, apparently, the majority of war veterans either don't talk about their experiences at all, or do so with little outward emotion - open that door, and will you ever be able to close it again?

And if, as I think, the author is aiming at a young market, maybe it's preferable to give facts first with some sort of context, and allow the youngsters to develop an emotional response under the guidance of parents or teachers?

Though whether he had either of these points in mind, or whether I'm just trying to put a better slant on it, I don't know! :rolleyes:

Yes, get back to eating. I'm about to, too :)

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Not the best style of writing and agree it could well be 2 writers as showed different styles and quality. Wouldnt say it left me cold but certainly wouldn't look for another by that author.

Sep 30, 2008
Funster No
CWH,

I agree that people who have suffered greatly do not usually open the floodgates, so to speak. To me a good author walks in their shoes, steps into their skin, feels the pain and is gifted enough to put it into words.
Similar to what Atticus would say don't you think. (One of my favourites as well).

I just wasn't comfortable reading a lightweight fairy tale containing fact based stomach churning reality.

Re the food. Joy had found a photograph of me eating with much gusto on the funsters Facebook dieters page and commented on it.

Anne

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Oh yes, Atticus. My kind of hero.
It was indeed a disconcerting mix.

Trust you, Joy! :D

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I've taken the book back to the library now so can't check... was the author young?

@Allan & Loren yes, it wasn't that she was flighty .. I can see that as a reaction to grief even .. it was the rest of her actions I suppose .. nothing gelled (jelled ?) .. but I wondered as reading it whether it was because the author didn't really have life experience of how parents feel on losing children.. ? I believe that losing her husband to alleged infidelity would be overshadowed by grief .. but maybe that's just me.. What did you think about the style of writing?
The style of writing was as others have said, without substance which is either due to the authors inexperience/inability or because he aimed it at a younger market. If it was aimed at a younger market I would have expected a more appealing front cover!
Macs diary was devoid of emotion and details but it wasn't written as a war account but rather as a record of his meeting and falling in love with Rosa, then about trying to find the children to givevthem the gold and tell them about Lorenzo and Rosa and the farm.
Nothing to do with the book but My grandfather was a prisoner of war in Japanese concentration camps for many years and apart from a couple of photos of him when he returned weighing just over 5 stonne we were told nothing. He would not discuss anything and never commented on things on TV about the war. My mother had been adopted by her aunt as her mother had died many years before and her father was presumed dead so grandfather started a new life on his return and it wasnt until mum got married that he could face being part of the family.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I agree with most of what has been said and must admit that some parts had me speed reading. Overall it is a good tale (or two) highlights the extremes of human nature Good and Nasty but dragged out at the end with no finish or the prospect of a follow up. That said overall I enjoyed it(n)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I agree with most of what has been said and must admit that some parts had me speed reading. Overall it is a good tale (or two) highlights the extremes of human nature Good and Nasty but dragged out at the end with no finish or the prospect of a follow up. That said overall I enjoyed it(n)

lol. Yes, I became quite an expert at speed reading at times. :)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Need something to read between books .. has anyone read a book entitled something like The 100 year old man who stood at the Window? Any comments on it please?

It was a choice for a village book club. I didn't like it, but others did. Mind you we had had a spate of those sorts of books.

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
@movan Hi, I'm sorry but I havent been able to catch up with the book club, and I'm down to choose July's book, can you ask someone else please and count me out. sorry to let you down at last minute, slap me when we catch up.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@movan Hi, I'm sorry but I havent been able to catch up with the book club, and I'm down to choose July's book, can you ask someone else please and count me out. sorry to let you down at last minute, slap me when we catch up.

How hard can I slap? ;) no problems Chris. X

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I've updated the list. If you catch back up anytime just let us know and we'll add you again. Enjoy your slapping from @movan haha

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back