Decayed ply inner lining below floor level (1 Viewer)

Harnser

Free Member
Nov 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2018
I have noticed that my 2007 Elddis Autoquest 115 has some decay to the inner ply lining to the skirt panels below floor level. Is this something I should be concerned about, and if so is it very difficult to replace? I am skilled in woodwork etc.

OP
OP
H

Harnser

Free Member
Nov 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks for replying, here is photo of worst area, offside rear quarter. Section to far right is rear
bumper, white marks are where area has been pressure washed.
20191130_142806.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Looks like it needs replaced . Do you have a damp meter? Have you checked all your van recently or have you just acquired it?

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Trouble is with any veneer is that as soon as it starts to lift with water ingress...there is no stopping it! You have a choice of either cutting and replacing or patching or replace the section in its entirety. I would not say its terminal...just tired. A bit of work and it can be sorted quite easily. What is the other side like? As bad or not?

Kev

OP
OP
H

Harnser

Free Member
Nov 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2018
Looks like it needs replaced . Do you have a damp meter? Have you checked all your van recently or have you just acquired it?
I have had the van for 15 months, not checked for damp inside, but does not smell or feel damp. This is outside below floor level.

OP
OP
H

Harnser

Free Member
Nov 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2018
Trouble is with any veneer is that as soon as it starts to lift with water ingress...there is no stopping it! You have a choice of either cutting and replacing or patching or replace the section in its entirety. I would not say its terminal...just tired. A bit of work and it can be sorted quite easily. What is the other side like? As bad or not?

Kev
Thanks Kev. There is a smaller amount the other side, but not as bad. Do you know if the ply can be replaced without removing the skirt panel? Is the ply bonded to the aluminium panel? I assume this area is not part of the main side wall.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If I were you I would be buying a damp meter and checking ALL your van, that way you will get a better idea of exactly what you've got to deal with.

Dirtyhands

Free Member
Nov 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I read a book about it once...
The skirt moulding would have to be removed to repair that, the ply will be attached to the framework at the bottom of the wall. It may or may not be bonded to the skirt.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
If you're skilled in woodwork, crack on.
Those stressing about damp need to realise this is OUTSIDE in the elements and clearly in a splash zone of the wheels judging by the dirt there. Of course it's going to be taking a beating. It doesn't mean the interior of the van is damp.
Having said that I worry about who has undersealed the thing.. probably the worst thing that could have been done. :xdoh::xdoh:

OP
OP
H

Harnser

Free Member
Nov 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2018
Those stressing about damp need to realise this is OUTSIDE in the elements and clearly in a splash zone of the wheels judging by the dirt there. Of course it's going to be taking a beating. It doesn't mean the interior of the van is damp.
Having said that I worry about who has undersealed the thing.. probably the worst thing that could have been done. :xdoh::xdoh:
Oh! Why would underseal be bad, surely its keeping moisture out>

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Whether the OP does or doesn't have damp does not mean owners should not be damp checking them regularly, whether doing it themselves or getting it done for them.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Oh! Why would underseal be bad, surely its keeping moisture out>
because generally it doesn't, what it does do is trap and hide the moisture behind the black layer of goop until Mr MOT man pokes a hole in it and you go :xsurprised::xsurprised::xsurprised::xsurprised::xsurprised:

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
You need to dry it out before the under seal is sprayed or painted on. That’s just common sense. The drier it is the better obviously. Don’t be put off. We have ours done yearly. Washed off then the under seal is reapplied.

Whether the OP does or doesn't have damp does not mean owners should not be damp checking them regularly, whether doing it themselves or getting it done for them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back