Decals (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
My Starfire decals are in a pretty poor state. I'm told that this is not unusual. Have any Funsters replaced them? Maybe DIY? What did you use?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there are a couple of members on here that do printed and vinyl graphics for a living. replacing exactly what was there is possible, but why not choose something a little more up to date? really improves the look of what was beginning to look a tired van to almost new again:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Replaced ours a few years ago, also Autocruise, because they really are rubbish the ones they put on.

I went to a professional graphics company, not much use to you though as it was in Carlisle. My point though is the difference between the Autocruise fitted ones and the new was very different. They told me they were the same material used on aircraft, so I'm OK up to 600 mph and 40,000 foot :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think if you want a long lasting job the professionals will do a better job than DIY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It all depends on the quality of vinyl used -some 3yr/5 yr and 10 yr -10 yr stuff is a lot thicker and harder to get off without damaging the paintwork -- as already said there is a couple of funsters do graphics so it may be worth while asking what they recommend :thumb:-Got mine done locally on the new conversion after being let down for over 2 weeks with the lad across the road who has bought a machine and volunteered to do them but came no where near --ended up phoning Mick up who simply said bring it through Monday morning -designed cut and fitted in about 1 hour then 10 mins on Tuesday morning to extend them along the front wings after posting pics and funsters saying they needed to be longer ::bigsmile::thumb:
terry

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for the info. I was considering replacing like for like (or at least the same general outline) in case the paintwork underneath was different as it would not have been exposed to sunlight. It is fibreglass though so presumably is self coloured?

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
My Starfire decals are in a pretty poor state. I'm told that this is not unusual. Have any Funsters replaced them? Maybe DIY? What did you use?

Replacing graphics isn't really a difficult job. As the vehicle is a few years old the paintwork underneath will be as new so a massive colour difference will be noticed. I have replaced graphics on dozens of motorhomes over the last 30 years in the vehicle graphics trade.
I would suggest you specify a mid range vinyl of about 8 years durability but don't overkill with a longer life vinly. I mainly used MacTac on over 23,000 vehicles and had NO problems. Top grade vinyl is manufactured by 3M and Fasson/Avery but not worth the extra cost. If you would like to modernise the look then keep to the original design to cover the paint difference but add some extra to bring it upto date. A colour change with the same design can work wonders. The last 2 I redid were Autocruise's, a Wentworth and a Vista, just a colour change and a bit extra had the desired effect and the customers were very happy.
Just PM me if you need any other advice.
Wilf

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back