Death of the tax disc: learn new rules or risk £1,000 fine (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Article in the Telegraph 12th August 2014

The traditional paper car tax disc will be replaced by an electronic system in October, and drivers are being urged to understand the rules

The tax disc, which was first introduced in 1921, will cease to exist in paper form from October 1, with a new electronic system being put in its place.

Under new rules announced in the Autumn Statement last year, motorists will now have to register their car online to pay Vehicle Excise Duty, otherwise known as road tax. This can be done via Direct Debit on the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) website or at a Post Office branch.

Those who don't register for the tax, will be caught out by number plate recognition cameras which track each vehicle on the road.

While the move aims to streamline services and, it is claimed, save British businesses millions of pounds a year in administrative costs, motorists are being warned to brush up on the new rules or face possible fines.

The change mostly affects those buying or selling a used car.
Anyone who buys a used car will no longer benefit if there are months left on the tax disc, as the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the car. This means buyers will have to renew their tax disc straight away, or risk being caught out on the road in an untaxed car.

The seller of the vehicle is responsible for informing the DVLA of a change of ownership, otherwise they could face a possible £1,000 fine. This can be done by filling out a V5C form and sending it to the DVLA.

Vehicle sellers will get an automatic refund for any full calendar months left on the vehicle tax.

Paul Watters, head of roads policy at the AA, said: "This is a huge change and vehicle owners and drivers need to be aware of the rules. A driver, not registered owner, can be issued a non-endorsable fixed penalty for driving an untaxed car. An owner can be fined £80 for using an untaxed vehicle (one not registered off the road) and can be charged any back tax."

Mr Watters said it was important all vehicle owners and motorists did their utmost to establish whether their vehicle was taxed or SORN’d (declared off the road) before driving the car. This can be done here.

Julie Daniels, head of motor at comparethemarket.com, said that the removal of the tax disc, which will in turn eliminate tax dodgers from the road, "should have a positive impact on premiums".

The paper element of the driving licence, which accompanies the credit card size photo-card, is also due to be axed in January 2015.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Have I read this wrong or is this going to be extremely dangerous?

I buy a car. The instant I pay for it, the current tax on the vehicle does not apply, so effectively it is untaxed so I am therefore immediately liable for a fine.

As it is not taxed I cannot legally drive it home and any insurance I had purchased would not be valid.

This sounds really scary.

And when buying from someone else would I enter my bank details into someone elses computer??

HELL NO !!!

I rarely pay for anything by computer apart from using paypal because I personally dont trust it.

and............ there are still plenty of independent people who cant read or write who are helped with such tasks by post office staff. So if they buy a car on a Sunday where the hell does that leave them??

I really am not liking the sound of this.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It isn't scary I think, just slightly different. We bought a second car today, it didn't have a tax disc as the garage always surrenders them. Having paid a deposit on the car we went to the post office paid (£20:)) and we're given a tax disc which we will stick on the vehicle tomorrow when we collect it.. We also discovered the law has changed and we didn't need to show proof of insurance to get the tax.
In future we will be spared the trip to the post office and it wouldn't surprise me if garages offer to sort out the VED on behalf of customers. Sounds like a big improvement to me.
The £1000 fine headline is typical journalise, I doubt the maximum fine has changed with the new system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Here's the con. You sell your car on January the 3rd, but you can only claim the tax back from February 1st, in the meantime you have to tax your new car from January 1st, so losing three days as well!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Here's the con. You sell your car on January the 3rd, but you can only claim the tax back from February 1st, in the meantime you have to tax your new car from January 1st, so losing three days as well!!
Exactly the same as the current paper system. Just don't sell cars at the beginning of the month!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Julie Daniels, head of motor at comparethemarket.com, said that the removal of the tax disc, which will in turn eliminate tax dodgers from the road, "should have a positive impact on premiums".

Bullsiht......there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of untaxed cars on the road.
No plate recognition cant catch them all and the drivers are prepared to take the risk.

Nothing will change in that respect.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Have I read this wrong or is this going to be extremely dangerous?

I buy a car. The instant I pay for it, the current tax on the vehicle does not apply, so effectively it is untaxed so I am therefore immediately liable for a fine.

As it is not taxed I cannot legally drive it home and any insurance I had purchased would not be valid.

and............ there are still plenty of independent people who cant read or write who are helped with such tasks by post office staff. So if they buy a car on a Sunday where the hell does that leave them??

I really am not liking the sound of this.

But the DVLA won't know about it until they receive the V5 from the seller or you set up the new tax online so the ANPR cameras won't pick you up.
With regard to insurance I'm sure they will get round to thinking up a sensible solution (maybe 48/72 hours grace period or something like that?) sooner or later otherwise nobody will be able to buy any vehicle.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Exactly the same as the current paper system. Just don't sell cars at the beginning of the month!
Yes, but are you seriously suggesting that you just happen to see the car you like, and buy it on the 30th??
This get rich scheme will bring the government a nice little packet.

And, at the moment, you can pass the tax on, as part of the deal. It can be a decent bargaining chip sometimes. (y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
so when my tax runes out in October I just tax on line job done

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
so when my tax runes out in October I just tax on line job done
Yes, great for us who are computer literate but there are many who aren't and also don't have a local post office any more.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Why don't they cut the bollocks and just put the duty on fuel?

It will be far fairer. Plus it would save the taxpayer a fortune in not administering VED.

Makes the most sense..those that drive the most miles pay the most. We walk rather than drive our car..dont do 2000 miles a year. Now our motorhome is a different matter but mileage is mostly abroad..BUSBY:)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Can just see the headines now......

Tax disc holder manufacturers go bust thanks to inconsiderate goverment officials
I have a nice one too suggesting they fix the potholes in

It will be far fairer. Plus it would save the taxpayer a fortune in not administering VED.

They already have done for years .....The road tax is just an additional rip off

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
What happens if you don't have a computer and are not close to a post office?
That's what I said.

I have family who live at the end of a remote glen, no electric (never mind a PC) and miles and miles to a post office. Mind they are so remote they would probably never be caught.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
an issue with removing the paper tax disc is that it makes it easier to clone a car. 2 or more identical cars, make model basic colour. one has tax insurance and mot, the other/s dont, but because the same number plate is fitted ANPR cameras dont flag them up

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp

Would be nice, but then the government would lose millions from it :)

Be nice and fair if the poor old folk that drive a few short miles a day/week paid less than say the reps that clock up 1000's of miles, adding to pollution, road wear etc :)

Oh and what trade were/are you, not a Tech I hope ;)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
an issue with removing the paper tax disc is that it makes it easier to clone a car. 2 or more identical cars, make model basic colour. one has tax insurance and mot, the other/s dont, but because the same number plate is fitted ANPR cameras dont flag them up
AND, you can buy any number plate on FleBay without any proof you own the vehicle.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
It isn't scary I think, just slightly different. We bought a second car today, it didn't have a tax disc as the garage always surrenders them. Having paid a deposit on the car we went to the post office paid (£20:)) and we're given a tax disc which we will stick on the vehicle tomorrow when we collect it.. We also discovered the law has changed and we didn't need to show proof of insurance to get the tax.
In future we will be spared the trip to the post office and it wouldn't surprise me if garages offer to sort out the VED on behalf of customers. Sounds like a big improvement to me.
The £1000 fine headline is typical journalise, I doubt the maximum fine has changed with the new system.
Have you left out the paperwork to get the tax disc surely you have either the reminder or the v5 /v5c to get a disc from the post office

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Have i missed something if i leave for Spain on 1st oct and sorn my motorhome and then tax it online the first week of April prior to my return how will number plate recognision cameras work seems like 6 months saved

OP
OP
martin1485
Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Have i missed something if i leave for Spain on 1st oct and sorn my motorhome and then tax it online the first week of April prior to my return how will number plate recognision cameras work seems like 6 months saved

The terms of your insurance may preclude you from doing that. Maybe worth checking first?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
how will number plate recognision cameras work
Nothing new, they have been going for years. Have you seen those very tall blue poles at the roadside, with cameras fitted?? They clock every number plate passing, and the computer checks which is taxed, and which isnt. The last registered keeper then gets a bill for backtax times whatever mood they are in at DVLC. So if you say ran the untaxed car up to the shop, and the car was clocked, and you hadn't used it for the last ten years........BINGO!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Am I misstaken or will tax be taken by DD without checking insurance or MOT?
both insurance and mot can be checked electronically these days

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the linking of the insurance, mot and tax actually is an excellent move, but taking away the tax disc removes proof at the roadside other than by computer

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
What happens if you don't have a computer and are not close to a post office?

That would be no different to the way you tax the vehicle at the moment, surely?
The only current options are PO or on line.
No change.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back