Death in the Family, sad but opens horizons for us now. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The old Needypuss has had to be put to sleep yesterday, it broke my heart but she had carcinoma in the jaw, and was a bit rickety as well with a bit of arthritis . I had to bury her in the garden and it was very upsetting to stroke her for the last time.
HOWEVER, it does allow us to go away for a longer trip now , as we always had to arrange for her to be fed etc. Now we do not need to arrange anything just go. We can try for Europe again and it does n't matter anymore if we feel like staying somewhere a bit longer.
It still does not stop me feeling guilt for having her put down. She was in pain, but still guilt and hollow feeling having done it. I will not be having any more animals as we are getting on and they might outlast us if we did.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Seems a bit harsh to out it that way but I know what you mean. My Yorkie had to be put to sleep bless her with many symptoms you describe and more plus she was nearly 16 so had a good life but it does allow us to get out more without worrying about leaving her and we won't get another pet for that reason.
Sorry for your loss by the way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Happy memories last forever,sorry for you.
Tea Bag

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
We have had to have three dogs put to sleep over the years
Each strays back into our minds at different times
Little things bring the memory back,

Pepi the cocker spaniel loved a been bag and carrying a hide chew back from the shops and giving it a good chewing oh and the new dolly’s
Shoe ( daughters birthday present

Buster and tuppence two jack Russel terrorists crosses
Tuppence loved to watch fireworks and bully buster

And buster he loved a ball that was hard plastic he would batter it with his front legs and tongue for ages my son loved to play football struggled to win the ball off him
And rabbits were his downfall ripped his ligand in his back leg
Slowed him down in catching them

All of them broke my heart and left a dry mouth and empty feeling for weeks on their passing but every day I know it was right
As neither suffered the pain they were in as we could and did help them

Feel sorrow for their passing but remember their being your friend

May your pain lesson each and every day
Best wishes bill

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Very sad time for you, don't feel guilty though, you put your life partly on hold to benefit your furry beastie and that's more than a lot of people would do.

We had 4 dogs, 2 elderly and 2 younger, and within 15 days the 2 older ones had to be put down - the first had emphysema, one day things took a turn for the worse and she had to be put to sleep, her old buddy, who was prone to strokes (very hyper active), pined for her and 15 days later had a massive stroke and couldn't see or stand up and was panicking, no choice but to have her put to sleep as there was no way she could recover because as soon as she come out of being sedated panic and stroke again. So we suddenly went from 4 dogs to 2 which meant we could take them away in our motorhome rather than have to rely on family to stay over the weekends to look after the 2 older ones whilst we had a couple of days away with the others. It completely changed how we could 'holiday' and whilst I would never have wished to be without the 2 older ones, it certainly gave us more freedom. We put our lives on hold for them (and other dogs) for years so although we felt a little bit guilty about it, we also felt we'd done what we could to make their lives as happy as possible for as long as we could.

Just remember the good times and don't dwell on the bad/guilt.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hated it when we had to put our cat down. Somehow that proud and independant creature who brought in presents of live mice every night, and didn't mind when we went away and left him to be fed by neighbour, and always came to the front door to greet us, and curled up on my lap ( but not allowed to stroke or you'd get a scratch), had become so old and frail and unable to eat that we had to intervene.
All in tears when vet daughter came round with the injection but at least puss curled up in favourite place on my warm heated bed.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
So sorry to hear about the loss of your pet. Its horrible when they die but no doubt you gave her a good life and you created nice happy memories along the way.

Its a very hard thing to do when we decide enoughs enough for the pet. None of us want to see our pets suffer so you did your final act of kindness.

Ive got it all to go through sometime in the next year I expect and dreading it.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Sorry to hear of your loss of a faithful friend. Just remember the good times.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
I've been in that situation four times with dogs and each time it feels as if my heart has been wrenched out of my body. It is always such a very hard decision to make, even though you know it's right and that it will end suffering. I hope the following poem will help … even though it was written with a dog in mind.

IF IT SHOULD BE
If it be I grow frail and weak
And pain should wake me from my sleep.
Then you must do what must be done
For this last battle just can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years
What is to come will hold no fears.
I know you'd not want me to suffer, so
When the time comes - please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
Only please stay with me till the end.
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes, they no longer see.

I know in time you too will see
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail, it's last has waved
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Do not grieve that it should be you
Who has to decide this thing to do.
We've been so close - we two these years
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

I love you now and forever more
Your friend, companion and so much more ...

(by unknown author)

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I've been in that situation four times with dogs and each time it feels as if my heart has been wrenched out of my body. It is always such a very hard decision to make, even though you know it's right and that it will end suffering. I hope the following poem will help … even though it was written with a dog in mind.

IF IT SHOULD BE

(by unknown author)

@GWAYGWAY, sorry to hear of your loss.

Thank you for posting, I've read it before but after having had our Cocker put to sleep recently, reading it again has bought me to tears (not a good look when sat at my desk, just hope no one comes to my office for a few minutes!!).

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Very sad time for you, don't feel guilty though, you put your life partly on hold to benefit your furry beastie and that's more than a lot of people would do.

So sorry to hear that you had to say goodbye, but huge RESPECT to you for having the courage to arrange the final act of love for Needypuss and not let her suffer. Of course you feel awful, that shows how much you care, but you did the right thing - it is OUR job to feel pain, stress and suffering - not theirs.:cry:

@Minxy Girl is absolutely right - you put your life on hold for her and it is absolutely OK for you now to take some time for yourselves. Years ago I did the same thing for our elderly Collie - I became a fulltime carer and everything I did was based around his schedule. Some would think us daft but I judged it was the only right thing to do for a dear friend and member of the family who had given unselfishly to us for his entire life.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
So sorry been there myself, understand your very mixed emotions, miss my cats so much, but dont miss the mess or the guilt of leaving them (even though they had resident carers!) They would have never travelled with us, they loved home and their territory. As they got older they seemed to want our company more which was really difficult. We did our best for them as I am sure you did, no regrets.
Enjoy your travels now whilst you can.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

IF IT SHOULD BE

(by unknown author)

Now you've done it. :cry::cry::cry:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
So sorry for your pain .. it doesn't always go away but gets easier ... you did what was kindest.

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
Sorry to hear your news ... we've been through that a few times now so fully understand the "gap" it leaves, but time to start thinking about your future adventures ...

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Thank you for you comments, It brought back the pains I have had from pets in the past, most needed to be be put to sleep, except my Rough collie who collapsed and died in my Mum's arms at the bottom of the stairs on day, just gone.
However, I have had a shock at what they charged me for the deed. Bill, £89 for ten minutes with her. It seems to have gone up a lot since the last time. I got the bill this morning along with a sorry card.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
It's a horrible but it's the last gift you could give her. Freedom from suffering. A true act of love because it causes us so much emotional pain. So sorry for your loss......and I totally empathise.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Bloody hell Rob and Val. :cry::cry::cry:
Blubbing here too, it reminded me of our Labrador Cindy who was put to sleep in Jenny and my arms.
2 years ago but as fresh as new...
With pet ownership comes the responsibility to do all that is best for the animal you love and who loves you..
Sorry for your loss GwayGway..
Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all ! ! ! !
Mitch. xx

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

IF IT SHOULD BE

(by unknown author)

:cry: Bloody hell, I haven't lost one yet and lm blubbering away here:cry::confused:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Bloody hell Rob and Val. :cry::cry::cry:
Blubbing here too, it reminded me of our Labrador Cindy who was put to sleep in Jenny and my arms.
2 years ago but as fresh as new...
With pet ownership comes the responsibility to do all that is best for the animal you love and who loves you..
Sorry for your loss GwayGway..
Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all ! ! ! !
Mitch. xx
The pain eases but you will never forget - a beloved pet will have a place in your heart forever. The dog that broke my heart the most died in 1984 - over 30 years ago - but I still cry for him, particularly when I hear that someone else has had to make that awful decision. I suppose the reason that we feel guilty is because we have to decide to end their life, whereas if it were a human we don't have that decision to make. But surely our pet would not blame us for ending their suffering? I like to think that one day I will be reunited with all my pets - a whimsical thought perhaps, but it does comfort me.

Sorry to everyone who has been crying as a result of my posting the poem 'If it Should Be'. I know it always moves me to tears every time I read it.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I should not have mentioned it. It seems half the forum is blubbing away thinking of the same situation they have been in. I keep looking around wondering where she is. and in the morning, NOT getting jumped on but still waiting.
I suppose we love the animals because they do not demand and mostly just give, as long as dinner is there , that is.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Our old "mog" is 19 and is a lovely friendly guy,we will miss him dearly when he goes but vowed to not have another pet after so we can be free to zoom off together without one of us staying to look after a pet (dont want kennel /big vets bills ) we have had lovely dogs/cats and enjoyed them but at a time in our lives when we want to be free.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
It's such a hard thing to do------but it was the kindest. That sort of illness was never going to improve :( and it's the quality of life that matters more than quantity. R.I.P little one.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
I should not have mentioned it. It seems half the forum is blubbing away thinking of the same situation they have been in. I keep looking around wondering where she is. and in the morning, NOT getting jumped on but still waiting.
I suppose we love the animals because they do not demand and mostly just give, as long as dinner is there , that is.
No need to apologise, @GWAYGWAY, we're all friends on here and plenty of us are animal lovers.
People who don't have or don't want pets rarely understand the sorrow of losing them.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The worst bit was opening the towel and stroking her for the last time before wrapping her the placing her in the hole I dug in the garden. A deep one, for the last time a badger came and dug my other cat up and ate him after a couple of weeks later. This time I put a heavy stone bird-bath over her ,so the feathery tweeters could get the last laugh.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back