C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
Listed below is my dealings with Tom the new CEO of Brownhills via there " Ask Tom A Question "

Please find enclosed a copy of the email i have sent to your aftersales department.

FX 57 ***
SWIFT KONTIKI 665P

HABITATION DOOR NEEDS ADJUSTMENT

BATHROOM DOOR NEEDS ADJUSTMENT

PASSENGER SEAT HAS MARKS ON UPHOLSTERY

DRIVERS SEAT HAS SCORE MARKS ON UPHOLSTERY

SCUFF MARKS TO GREY TRIM AROUND FREEZER COMPARTMENT

SEVERAL SCRATCHES / MARKS TO INTERNAL CUPBOARD DOORS

KITCHEN SINK WASTE PIPE CUT SHORT AND COMES APART

CARPET NEEDS REPLACING , BINDING COMING AWAY

SCRATCHES / SCUFF MARKS ON EXTERNAL BODYWORK

ORIGINALLY ORDERED WITH 2ND SWING ARM COFFEE TABLE ( STILL WAITING )

REVERSING CAMERA HAS STOPPED WORKING

All of the above problems except the reversing camera were notified to yourselves via email 09/10/07 and are still outstanding.
Please supply the swing arm coffee table and brackets that was ordered with this vehicle and is on my original sales order. I have spoke to Swift and they are aware of the fault with the carpet so they should have it ready for you.

CAN I BOOK THIS IN FOR WEEK COMMENCING MONDAY 26TH NOVEMBER AND COLLECTION ON FRIDAY 30TH NOVEMBER , COULD YOU PLEASE ARRANGE FOR A COURTESY CAR TO BE AVAILABLE FROM MONDAY 26TH . Also could I be booked in the overnight facility for Friday 30th and Saturday 1st .

Many thanks………. Mark
Last Updated: 2007/11/27 22:05:12
You asked us to do the following:
Tom while i am hopefull that the outstanding works will be completed i wish to bring it to your attention so if there is any problems i am able to report it back to yourself and you are aware of it

Thanks Mark
This Question Has Been Answered
Brownhills say:
Dear Mark
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I have asked my PA to double check that our Aftersales have received your email and you are booked in for the week commencing 26 November.

Your Reply 1:
Unfortunatly today did,nt go as planned, I arrived at 11.30am and a car was not available for me even though i had booked one 3 weeks prior. Elle in customer services was very helpful in trying to arrange a hire car . We had to be in Stoke-on- Trent by 2.00pm to view a residential college for my handicapped son and a vehicle could,nt be made available until 1.15 at the earliest. Therefore i was left with no choice but to take back my motorhome and travel in it to view the college. I have had a wasted journey to Newark , the cost of fuel in getting there and having to use the vehicle in getting to Stoke-on-Trent and having half a day off work to travel to Newark. And know i have got to arrange and travel back to Newark AGAIN ! for remedial works to be done

I do not think i am being unreasonable in seeking compensation for the above and I await your response

Mark

Brownhills Say To Your Reply:
We would have to seek the compensatuion from the customer who didn't bring the loan vehicle back Mark
Let me take a look at the circumstances in the morning please
Regards
Tom

UPDATE - Before we go any further Mark - please paste the email you refer to, in it's entirity, into a reply here; it is not usual to se a purported copy email with no address and no send stamp - please provide this so we can investigate.

Your Reply 2:
Tom that is the email in it,s entirity , I recieved a phone call from your aftersales department after sending the email to yourself confirming dates and confirming the availabilty of a courtesy car. Elle had a copy of the email in her possesion to action the required works ????? I don,t see the relevance of send stamp or address when everyone involved had a copy ,.
As you can appreciate i had a wasted journey yesterday and now have to arrange another journey to Newark for remedial works. In a little over 12 months i have spent approaching £100,000 with Brownhills on 2 New motorhomes plus all accessories , so requesting to be reimbursed for yesterday is not to much to ask ?

Mark

The loan car is a free service Mark, if another customer doesn't bring it back in time - in what way are we to blame? We could fix that by not lending cars but that would be a backward step
Regarding the email - everyone replied because I asked them to through my office - I would still like please a copy of the original email showing the exact email address to whom it was sent together with the system time when it was transmitted

Your Reply 3:
I have forwarded the email to Elle and asked her to print it for you. I have spoke to Elle today and the email problem has been sorted. I sent it to e.harrison ..... no . in her email address !

I appreciate the loan car is a free service ....... so what is the outcome of our disscussions ? As i need to make some sort of arrangements .

Mark

I think Mark, that we are back at the start - your email never came into the business because it was wrongly addressed so we couldn't be expected to deal with it.
The loan car came back late because a previous customer didn't bring it back on time.
El is piggy in the middle trying to resolve matters - I think she is brilliant at what she does and that we should allow her to do her job on a level playing field.
So I guess what I'm saying is - why don't we just let you deal with El and she will do her best to help?
Best Regards
Tom

Your Reply 4:
Tom has i have already stated all those involved had a copy of the email and the loan car had been arranged and remedial works booked in. So yes i could expect Brownhills to deal with it even though my email never reached Elle directly. As for the hire car yes i agree this was beyond your control. Elle does a great job and i commented on this on a previous reply. My only concern is that i,m out of pocket and still have to return back to Newark a second time for works to be attempted . I have a fuel reciept for £30.00 and would appreciate this to be settled.

Mark

I'm sure you would Mark but you already accept that it was beyond our control - best thing I can do is not promise a loan car then we won't get in this position again. We won't be refunding the receipt I'm sorry to say. El is happy to make arrangements for the repair.
Thanks
Tom

The only text removed from the above is my telephone number , surname and vehicle registration.

So to briefly summarise i turn up on an agreed date to drop the van off for remedial work. The loan car that was promised to me was not returned by the previous user...... Solution , hire me another car Unfortunatly i had an appointment to view a residential college for my disabled son quite some distance away and the hire car would not be delivered in time for me to make my appointment.
Therefore i had to take back my van and go in that.....

I request reimbursment of £30.00 for fuel How much would the hire car cost for a week ?

Perhaps it,s me being greedy and expecting to much after all i only spent approaching £100,000 in a 12 month period with them ( How much more do you think i,ll spend with them ? :Eeek: )

So be warned if you turn up expecting a loan car and it,s not available...... :Doh:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
What a catalogue of incompetence! But your tale is not the first time I've heard about Brownhills' ineptitude.
I'm certainly glad I kept well out of their way when I was looking around.
It was the after sales treatment that seemed to be the bones of contention.

Hope you get sorted, then you can look elsewhere for your regular servicing.

Chin up

John

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Mark

If I read it correctly, you sent the original email, requesting the car, to the wrong address.

I know they all had a copy of that email when you got there, but how long before you got there did they have it? - if it was after the other customer was in possession of the only courtesy car then it can be difficult. The only way around it is to levy a fine for late return etc.

Most garages I've dealt with have a clear written statement along the lines of they can't guarantee a courtesy car would be available (Im sure BH would have something similar for exactly this situation). So, if it was so important that you had the car, it may have been an idea to arrange one yourself, or at least be in contact with local hirer re prices/availability etc before you get there.

Having said all that, the tone of the replies from BH is awful.

Once again a dealer is throwing away a big spending client (and in full knowledge that their actions are repeated on just about every forum going) - all for the sake of £30.

CRAZY !!

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peterandbetty

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
North Staffs
Funster No
Exp
Hi to all .we have had a lot of problems with Brownhills and i would not recommened them to my worst enermy .We brought a new Lunar Roadstar 786 from Brownhills of Cannock in July 2006 and to cut a long story short in the first 12 months it was back in Brownhill for 7months out of the 12.all because every time it goes in it comes out with something it didnt go in with as they have not got the staff to sort out the problems and they dont know what they are doing .At first i sent e-mails to all the directors and didnt recieve one reply they just dont want to know.My motorhome is with them now it went in 2 weeks ago to have the front seats recovered as when it went in to have the squeak on the overhead bed done they stud all over the seats with nothing on them anyway the seats had to be sent to Tec seating who did a great job but when on inspection Brownhills workers had ripped the bottom of the seat bases and broke the tags of because they dont no what they are doing so again the m/h is back in waiting for them to sort it out .My worry now is that we have heard that they have money problems (just hope the banks dont forclose wile my m/hs in there) Betty

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
Great site this!!
I now know never to go near Brownhills for anything to do with Motorhomes.
Thanks for the info all.

Voyager

Free Member
Oct 17, 2007
Sheffield
Funster No
Exp
March 2007
Hi there we also sorry to say bought a motorhome from Brownhills at Newark, as soon as the cheque was handed over that's when things started to go downhill. When I booked our M/H in for warranty work to be carried out it came out with other work requiring doing, the M/H must have been in on at eight times and one occasion they had it two week on the second week my wife phoned them as we had not heard from them to be told yes it's ready for collection.
Only to be greeted with we are still waiting for parts to complete the rest of the work.

Would never use Brownhills again.

BJ

Free Member
Oct 2, 2007
Funster No
I use quite a few Motorhome and Camping forums, and i constantly see posts saying how poor the customer service is with Brownhills. I think it speaks for itself.
I would never buy a van from this company.

peter

Free Member
Nov 23, 2007
Near Boston Linc's
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 640
Exp
Since 2000
Well......I'm quite happy with my M/H from Brownhills. I think the original posters expectations are unreasonable. He was offered an alternative car, but declined it because he would have to wait a short time for it to be delivered. The fact he had an appointment that day is down to his own bad planning, why could he not arrange for the work to be carried out the following day?. I think Browhills acted reasonably and were correct in rejecting his penny pinching claim for £30.
If that alone is his gripe, I would say, forget it and move on and enjoy your M/H.

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Oh poo pick up my new mh from Brownhills at Newark on friday!

Our experience with Brownhills (Newark) has been wholly positive... 2 new vans in a 3 year period. Minor niggles and a major faux pas of me own making were sorted without a hitch.

Our local Fiat agent wanted over £90 more than Brownhills for the first mechanical service...guess where I'm going:Smile:

jakeontour

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
In front of this computer when I should be out in
Funster No
Brownhills

We bought a new 'van from Brownhills Newark six months ago and have been very happy with them. The sat tv wasn't working when we went to pick it up, our 'van needed an unusual adaptor that wasn't in the fixing kit. We were offered an overnight stay with hook up, use of the pool etc and a cooked meal in the cafe, all free. The part arrived the next morning, was fitted, then off we went. Also had a teething fault fixed at Preston, efficiently and on time.

My sympathies are with qe2 who seems to have a 'friday afternoon' van compounded by poor communications / responses from Brownhills. Really hope you get everything sorted asap. It's s*ds law that once things start going wrong it's difficult to get back on track, but lets not forget that the real problem seems to be with the way Swift put it together in the first place.

At the risk of getting upsetting others and I'm not suggesting for a moment that this includes anyone in this thread or indeed website (tin hat now firmly in place), whilst waiting in the Newark reception I was appalled at the language and behaviour of some people. Whatever the problem swearing and shouting at a young female receptionist is hardly likely to get your problem fixed or a friendly response.

Like everything else things can and will go wrong on occassion, particularly in complicated vehicles such as these. The law of averages says that Brownhills will get their share, it's just that they sell more 'vans in a week than most dealers do in a year.

I understand how frustrating it can be on occassion, but in the interests of balance lets remember that satisfied customers very rarely say so. If someone has had a personal experience they are entitled to share it; what I don't understand are those who jump on the bandwagon with anti this, that or the other pronouncements when they have no personal experience.

Now down in the trenches waiting for incoming!:winky:

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi

I will go along with the "people only write to complain" theory and that BH do sell far more vans than anyone else and, therefore %-wise, are likely to get more dodgy vehicles shipped to them from the manufacturer.

The trick is in putting things right when something has gone wrong - and that is where these dealers can't grasp the concept of customer service.

KNOWING that more people complain than praise on forums like this SHOULD have them doing everything possible to smooth problems out - and the tone of BHs replies doesnt do much (in my humble opinion) to welcome potential buyers.

Paul

And don't worry, it's certainly not just a UK thing - anyone buying in the US can suffer just the same issues (says he who speaks from experience).

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We got a new Hymer from Brownhills Newark in April this year. We did have a problem when we collected it and it has been back twice for a couple of minor things to be sorted out.

We got compensation for being messed about when we got and were happy with the amount. When the van was in for the other work we got a car of them which they lets us keep untill the next morning so we could pop out on the night even though we had the van back and stopped on the overnight. We have had to chase a few things up with them but I can honesly say I have had far worse service from many other retailers in the car industry.

It the orignal post the level of service received was satisfactory. What else could they do. If they give £30 to eveyone that complained they would soon be out of buissness once word got out.

Mabe as said before Brownhill get a lot of bad press due to the voulue of sales. Whwn we have been on there over night there are always several new vans either stopping over after delivery or ready for delivery. In this post there are as many for as against so it not all bad a Brownhills.

rich...

peter

Free Member
Nov 23, 2007
Near Boston Linc's
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 640
Exp
Since 2000
Nice to see people giving a balanced view. B.H aren't all that bad, We've only had one van from them, but we are well pleased with it. The control panel was damaged and they got a new one from Rapido £200 amd sent it diectly to me, as I am able to fit it myself. Now....that is good service in anybodys book.:thumb:

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
(...) whilst waiting in the Newark reception I was appalled at the language and behaviour of some people. Whatever the problem swearing and shouting at a young female receptionist is hardly likely to get your problem fixed or a friendly response. (...)

Thoroughly reprehensible and deplorable...inexcusable behaviour:
when will people realise that when they lose their cool, they also lose their argument?

I must remember to take my 'I'm surrounded by IDIOTS' badge next time I go to B'hills just in case... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

machra

Deleted User
Dealing with Brownhills

I have a 2007 Hobby I bought from Brownhills. 3rd day out I had problems - water leak and electric heater on Truma blowing fuses. I rang Brownhills immediately regarding the problems. They had my van in for the whole of the next day finding the leak (a condensation problem), and ordered replacement electric elements for the Truma. Browhills have been in touch with Hobby who have authorised a fix for the condensation, however the parts from Hobby are taking ages!!! At this time I think Browhills are doing all they can for me - more than I can say for my last van bought from Marquis.

Henryhymer

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
Funster No
Excellent service

Just to follow up on my previous post I picked up my new van from Brownhills (Newark) on friday and used their stopping over facility to test everything out. The service I received from Brownhills was excellent. Despite being very busy the handover person (Mike) was particularly good and took his time to ensure that we were happy with all the controls etc. He is a motorhomer himself and went out of his way to provide tips that he has picked up through his experience.

Couldn't fault the service I received.

Sep 13, 2007
lanarkshire,scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
twenty years
Hello everyone,first post,I think. I like Brownhills:thumb::thumb:Well,eight new vans from them I have to say that:Smile:,Never had much problems until our second to last van,a cheyenne 840 on the X2/50 chassis,I recon this van was also a Friday afternoon van,far too many problems to mention here,but the main problem was a leak in the toilet compartment(think it was from the wash hand basin)I returned it five times,to Birtley+2,Cannock+2 and Newark once! Brownhills fitters could not cure the problem,by this time the wardrobes,woodwork etc were ruined.Scott Stevens from Auto-Trail arranged a meeting with Dave Thomas who is joint MD.at Auto-Trail.Dave examined our van and,fair play to him,he was shocked to see the damage and commented on Brownhils inability to address the problem.To cut a long story short,after some discussion with Dave/Brownhills I came away with a brand new 840 D,I gave some money,not a lot,cost of a dirty weekend in blackpool,but I got two extra batteries,plugs fitted,Dave gave me an "s" pack and a 120w solar panel,so I think I got a very good deal,so well done Auto-Trail and Brownhills.:thumb::thumb:

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Paddywack,

Are you one of those annoying people who walks around with a permanent smile on your face ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

To have a van that went back FIVE TIMES to THREE LOCATIONS and riddled with DAMP - then to PAY EXTRA for a van you should have had to begin with, and you are giving these people the big thunbs up.

If I wasn't so opinionated I'd be lost for words :ROFLMAO:

Paul

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Paddywack,

Are you one of those annoying people who walks around with a permanent smile on your face ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

To have a van that went back FIVE TIMES to THREE LOCATIONS and riddled with DAMP - then to PAY EXTRA for a van you should have had to begin with, and you are giving these people the big thunbs up.

Paul

Sep 13, 2007
lanarkshire,scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
twenty years
Paddywack,

Paul
You will have to do something about that stutter ukrv!
As far as I am aware Auto-Trail/Brownhills have never replaced a faulty van. It does not happen,they would have to be dragged through the courts first.I handed over £500 for my new van,I got the "S" pack(worth £1000) F.O.C. I got two extra 85w batteries(worth £100)F.O.C.I got two extra plug sockets fitted(£160) and I got a solar 120w solar panel(worth £620) F.O.C.

Its all very well for you to twitter on about what I SHOULD(christ,now I'm shouting)have got,in reality that is not the way it works.I consider that I got a very good deal,my van was seven months old,with 14,000 miles on the clock,I would have been changing it in five months time anyway,I change my van every year,do you think I would have walked into Brownhills next March with £500 and a van with 20,000 miles on the clock and drove away in a new van? no chance,multiply that by twenty maybe,so you calm down son, before you take a stroke!And yes,I do go about with a smile on my face:thumb::thumb:I'm a happy chappy.

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hiya

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you haven't got a shed load of extras for your £500 - compared to so many other BH customers you've done amazingly well.

My comment was, why not accept you got a deal after months of hassle and leave it at that.

It's a bit much to see ":thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:" in favour of Brownhills when you had so much hassle from them (and the manufacturer).

But, I guess things have got that bad with customer service in this Country that we are prepared to praise a firm for finally sorting out what shouldn't have been a problem to begin with.

Please don't take my comments personally, I just find that there is no requirement for these companies to sort their acts out from the off.

Paul

PS I wondered what you meant by "stutter" and then found the double-post :Doh:

Sep 13, 2007
lanarkshire,scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
twenty years
Hiya

My comment was, why not accept you got a deal after months of hassle and leave it at that.

Hello paul,why should I "leave it like that"? This thread is about our treatment from Brownhills.I accept that there are quite a few members who have been treated badly by Brownhills.I have been very well treated by Brownhills,otherwise I would not have purchased eight vans from them! so I can say,hand on heart,that I am pro Brownhills.While I sympathise with anyone who has fallen foul of them and I have heard all the horrific tales, I am not one of them and can only tell it like it is.The faults on the "shed" they sold me were investigated immediately,it just so happens that some of their fitters were inept,not up to the job,the after sales staff at Brownhills bent over backwards to accomodate me.In the past when faults developed in my van I just accepted that **** happens,I was happy for Brownhills to put things right,but when the faults on my last van got beyond a joke Brownhills pulled out all stops,arranged meetings with the top guys at Auto-Trail and again at the NEC,as you know I was very happy with the outcome,so again,why should I leave it at that?Am I not entitled to an opinion or is it only your opinions that matter.paddywhack

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi

I wasn't suggesting your motorhome was a shed - it is just a figure of speech. :Doh:

I really am glad you have got a good deal out of them.

Paul

Sep 13, 2007
lanarkshire,scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
twenty years
Paul,we seem to be at cross purposes here,I know you did not suggest my van was a shed! It was me who described it as a shed,it WAS a "shed"! One of the first X2/50 tag axles to come off the line,with a lot of problems.All I was trying to say is that I could not say anything wrong about Brownhills,whenever I had a problem it was sorted out,the "shed was just one of those vans that are never going to be right,but I realise there are many people who are not so lucky!I should say that all did not go well at first when I was going "toe to toe" with the big boys at Brownhills and Auto-Trail.Voices were raised,the gloves were off,it was suggested that they would take my van back to Immingham and repair/rebuild it,some time in the new year,I knocked that on the head so it was looking like court time,until I got my deal,so everyone was happy:thumb::thumb:I know I was.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
brownhills

well I think quite simply that brownhills always get bad press because of volume sold compared to others. The more you sel the more problems you are going to have. However I am aware that they are settingout to improve their customer services.

I would not buy from brownhills as I prefer the more personal touch.:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back