Dealers Why bother with the Internet, you can't use it anyway. (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Why do dealers bother having web sites?

I have located 4 dealers that have a new van we would like to buy, I have filled in the enquiry form, left my details both phone numbers and email address.

One dealer I have telephoned and been told the salesman is busy, left my number and yep they ain't bothered phoning back..

I was told there was a recession on, people were desperate for money and yet they can't even be bothered to ring and tell me they don't want to do business.

Can't be bothered with it any more, will keep what I have thanks, your loss, not mine. :Smile:

But I know many dealers tune in here, so if your tuning in and worried it might be your dealership, it probably will be..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Madness.. You'd think they'd be biting your hand off. Anyway What you after?::bigsmile:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I want a Rapido 9096 or similar.

I have located a couple, one on the other channel privately, but that would mean selling mine private,

Can't be bothered with the hassle of doing that at the moment, would of liked a drive in drive out service, but obviously some dealers don't do a service where you can actually buy a motorhome from them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Maybe they've heard of you and read your winterisation blog!
If so how could they have the balls to sell,a probably over priced and more than likely inferior van ,to a man with more knowledge than them and their service team combined!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vlad

Thanks for the advice and keep it coming.:thumb:

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
hi paul try highbridge my mate just bought a rapido last week in birmingham show and he told me that highbridge were excellent with responding to sales.i think he also bought the same model your after.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
hi paul try highbridge my mate just bought a rapido last week in birmingham show and he told me that highbridge were excellent with responding to sales.i think he also bought the same model your after.

Hi Swansea boy.,,,, I refused to shame the dealers, but boy, you were real quick to identify one of them...
They do have the exact model I want, but tbh I can't be bothered with them any more :Smile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I emailed Webbs at Reading last week, quess what NO REPLY. They dont deserve our custom. BUSBY.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Well Paul it makes you wonder just how they treat a customer when they want some warranty work doing if they cannot be bothered to call back on a ££££s sale.

After all I read I would seriously consider going through Johns Cross now even though it is a very long way away if I was to change my van as it would seem from the recomendations they do know how to retain a customer by keeping them happy

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
TRy phoning Paul, Adrian or Russ at Wokingham Motorhomes/Caravannes Rapido. Excellent dealer:thumb:

Contact Us - Wokingham Motorhomes

www.rapidomotorhomes.comBroken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed
Headquarters. Gorrick Luckley Road Wokingham Berkshire, RG40 3AU. Tel: 0118 979 1023. Fax: 0118 989 1067. E-mail raclet@btconnect.com. Also E-mail: ...

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Only snag with Wokingham, they don't want to part-ex, as we enquired after a Rapido at the October MoHo show and Adrian said we could either sell it ourselves or we might perhaps be able to come to an arrangement where they might be able to have it on their front, but he was about as entusiastic as a wet fish. So we said No - just don't bother as it's clearly too much trouble for you.

And said to the awfully nice and helpful Pilote people next door after the deal was done, that we were sorry they obviously weren't selling as many new vans as Rapido were ..... :ROFLMAO:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I can't understand anyone in business not returning phone calls but ignoring email, maybe........as an individual I get enough 'junk'.

To be fair to dealers they must get a high percentage of 'dreamers' and time wasters and sifting through those to find a genuine enquiry can't be easy..........

No excuse for ignoring anyone though -"Can I help you ?" - is enough - "No just looking" - is the likely reply - but job done

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
It will have to be Jim, it will be the last van we ever buy :winky::winky:

Lol

Save your dosh,
you may need it on a rainy day,
you can`t do anything different in a another MH than you can do in yours now

Keep your cash and your MH = winner :thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Good choice Paul!

A nice social lounge, garage, en-suite large washroom and a PROPER double floor!

That would tick all our boxes too! Great minds think alike!::bigsmile:

Andrew G M

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Abergele
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
A few years ago I arranged to have a new Hilux Invincible for the weekend for an extended test drive.

Returned vehicle on the Monday saying I loved it and wanted to buy one.

Never heard a peep. No call, email or vehicle order form.

After 2 weeks, lost patience and bought one elsewhere. Incredible !!

I personally work in the caravan park industry, and we work very hard on getting all the leads we possibly can.

In my book, ignoring a potential customer who will potentially pay your wages and keep you employed is a sackable offence !!

IMO !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Happens in all walks of life ( so to speak )

I have had it with everything from hiring toilets to buying bike parts..

Perhaps I am a little biased in that I run a business that relies on the internet and always try to reply to ALL queries within 24 hours.. if someone takes the time trouble and effort to mail me then the very least I can do is reply..and sorry to say I have had similar experiences with dealers on this very forum....

Folk only get one chance with me ( two if I am desperate !! )

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It is a phenomena that is happening with all trades at the moment. I find I order off some suppliers and things haven't arrived time and time again. I have a theory that their accounts with their own suppliers must be on stop or something! You try to give them money and they don't want it - I have a hard enough time getting some customers to pay their bills without having suppliers to chase to supply.

Getting back to dealers, I had a similar situation when the economy was good - so I think the recession has little to do with that side of things. When I started hiring motor homes years ago I went into a dealer near exeter as he had three vans that I wanted to purchase.

I arranged appointments, turned up on site - everyone was too busy (drinking coffee and chatting in the office) i called and made more appointments.....same result. Then I thought to myself - was it worthwhile. Yes, they had a van I wanted - but if buying a van was that hard, what if something went wrong? what would the aftersales be like?

That answered all my questions, so went elsewhere and got very good service, even though I had to compromise on the van.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I wish the phone ,utility companies were so laxed in their sales approach, instead of ringing me every f&*^%$ 5 mins :Angry:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Paul

I am so glad that you have seen the light and gone for a proper Motorhome. Just be slightly aware that some dealers (Rapido) can be very slow in getting spares and Rapido in France can take their time in getting some spares to the UK.
Otherwise a great choice well built (most of the times) and well thought of by the French as being top class.
Good luck with your search. I would say that Wokingham Rapido Tech support is second to none.

ShiftZZ

PS, thanks for the help during our darkest days,

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
The only thing worse than having your email ignored is receiving a generic email in return which does not answer your enquiry.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
In all fairness, emails can get lost in cyber space and recipient maybe away on holiday or sick, it can happen even to us !

Peter

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
It's not only motorhome dealers who are to lazy to phone back, I have had same experience with lots of other businesses both here in the uk and on the continent

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

Congratulations

I left all our details with them at the NEC LAST YEAR and still not any contact from them?
Only yesterday got a call from Brownhills since the same show and I had great pleasure in telling them I'd bought one last November :roflmto:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I know it's not the whole motorhome, but I ordered some mud flaps from Johns Cross yesterday and they have just been delivered at 11.25 today.

I am in North Yorkshire, and I know it's down to couriers to make the delivery, but it's up to the dealer to make sure it's processed.

So well done Johns Cross :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have also had excellent service from JC parts dept. If I was looking to buy a MH from a dealer even though he is miles away from me I would be happy to give him my custom. Am also of the opinion that he does his best, and that goes a long way in my book. All dealers can make a mistake, what differentiates a good dealer from a bad one is how they handle a problem once it arises. If they cant be bothered to return an enquiry on a new motorhome how would they handle a potential problem. Money comes to easy for some of em.

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I visited a dealer in N Wales on Sat. Looked at a van, which we liked. The salesperson gave me their business card, so I emailed Sunday morning, with some general points about the van, hoping for a response ........Zilch. So in the meantime, I've scuttled off and found myself a really nice buy on a private deal. Thread to follow. Some of them don't understand the power of the net, even in the way they advertise the products. As consumers we are very vulnerable when making a motorhome purchase, as evidenced in recent threads, but I do genuinely feel that the industry will change, as consumers become more savvy in their buying habits.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
I've had a similar experience recently. Saw a MH I liked the look of. Made an e mail enquiry. It was obviously received as someone replied albeit 3 days later that it had been passed to a sales person to respond .......

Still waiting now. What are the chances of me ever getting a call from them?(And it's not one of the dealers already mentioned in this thread).

I'm still waiting for a call back from a salesman that I actually spoke to at another dealership 18 months ago!!

With very few exceptions, it seems to me that the trade needs to invest in training their staff in how to look after people from the moment that they make contact. It costs so little in time and effort to do the job properly but the rewards are there for those who are prepared to work at it.
:Doh:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
With very few exceptions, it seems to me that the trade needs to invest in training their staff in how to look after people from the moment that they make contact. It costs so little in time and effort to do the job properly but the rewards are there for those who are prepared to work at it.
:Doh:

Your so right Martin, I looked at this particular dealership. Poorly produced info cards on the vans(incorrect details). All doors locked. No adverts on Autotrader or Ebay. Links on their website to particular vans not working. This is a dealer selling brand new products....crazy. Do they honestly think they can survive on just local footfall??? peering through tinted glass. Not a great customer experience.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back