Dealers and lowballers. Annoying ! (1 Viewer)

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Normal behaviour ?

I have ads running for my van where it clearly states I do not want dealers to contact me and I dont want any offers.

Guess what. Ive had dealers contact me and had lowball offers from private individuals.

I suppose its not just me that gets these but when it specifically says dont...... AArrrghhhh

rant over

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
all part of selling any vehicle these days

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Sorry to be my normal thick, but are you trying to sell your van? If you are then, providing the cash is right, does it matter where the cash comes from?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Yep, I'm getting the same rubbish too.
Ive had one dealer wanting to buy my van at £13,000 less than the advertised price :eek:

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Sorry to be my normal thick, but are you trying to sell your van? If you are then, providing the cash is right, does it matter where the cash comes from?

No. I specifically said in my adds that i dont want dealers to contact me because they will lowball me. Its not up for offers, its for sale at fixed price.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
It does seem par for the course these days and, being British, I do not enjoy bargaining. You state the price and that is the end of the discussion in my book. The other side of the coin is, if you don't ask, you don't get.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Just think its a bit rude to be honest..
rude is an alien concept to most dealers...ooops no, thats right, its their stock in trade. insult you with a lowball offer then have a colleague phone later with a slightly higher offer (doing you a favour)

they use psychology to maximise profits by offering lower than trade price

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have that a lot when I sell any motorbikes, idiots ring up and offer stupid money then say they have cash and can collect straight away like they are doing me a favour.
I always say wait see if you can get some more pocket money from your mum then call me back.
Would not be so bad if they turn up look at the bike and can give me a constructive reason why I should knock a bit off of the price.
I normally change my car every 18 months so I just send it over to my mate who has a large car dealership and let him sell them so much easier.

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
Lowball the dealers back tell them to come and have a viewing then tell them to sod off.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

I only consider offers for anything after someone's viewed - in other words he/she makes a lot more effort than just lifting a phone or sending an email...........

(y)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Had the lot recently when we sold ours,

Low offers, "had a talk with the wife ", slightly higher offer, "if you deliver it" slightly higher offer.

"YES!!! Advertise no more I!! WILL! take it for your FULL PRICE!!"

"Hi there I will buy your M/H, I,m a US Marine/ Oil Rig worker/ Afgan war crippled War hero/Shona from Scotland holidaying in Magaloff."

Where we made the mistake, we thought it was worth £x amount so we put it on the market as £x amount +£500, we realised later it should have been £x amount +£2000

The fella we sold it to, "No Worries Mate!" paid the full price

Have looked at a lot of rubbish since, a lot of them self converted VANS at M/H Prices.

It'll happen!

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
For what it's worth I liked your advert on here and on Auto Trader. If it was the model for me I would have been very tempted. I would be very frustrated if people low balled and dealers contacted me after specifically stating 'dont'
Good luck with the sale.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I find playing in the sandpit filled with capitalist, classless lowlifes, who have no interest in anything other than profit, isn't any fun.

I avoid this scheming hoard by escaping to the middle of a small forest and watching nature go about its business in peace and harmony from the comfort of my lounger.

Just saying

JJ :cool:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I find playing in the sandpit filled with capitalist, classless lowlifes, who have no interest in anything other than profit, isn't any fun.

I avoid this scheming hoard by escaping to the middle of a small forest and watching nature go about its business in peace and harmony from the comfort of my lounger.

Just saying

Bears doing .... ???? :whistle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Bears doing what?

... think about it ... what do bears do in the woods/forest ... think Andrex! :D

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Just ask them to hold the line while you go for a pen and paper...........then just settle down and watch the telly........

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
When I bought my MH from a chap in Glasgow, I travelled down from Inverness (160 miles each way) on my motorbike to see his van. It was as described, well looked after and clean inside and out. I chatted to him for about an hour or so, asked him why he was selling....need a bigger van.....checked the van over as best I could (it was February) and made him an offer at £500 less than he was asking. He accepted, I left him a £1000 deposit.

I checked him out before we collected the van 3 weeks later when I had the money together (£27k) and realised he was a home dealer, who bought and sold vans and cars.

I and wife were/are very happy with the van and still have it, but wished he'd been up front about his buying/selling. The van is all we were looking for, we had looked at maybe 20 different vans and not many came up to same quality & cleanliness both inside and out that this one did. It's our first Hymer but probably won't be the last.We love it and are off to France tomorrow.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Do none of you expect a discount at a dealers ???? I certainly do.. Add in the fact private owners especially when it comes to cars over value thier motors based on what they paid and frankly unrealistic expectations.Browse cars on Autotrader and the private ads are now the most expensive.

Private sometimes want the same coin as a dealer because of emotional ties which in the real world are worthless and add zero to the real value.

Whether it's private or dealer I bid low because you never no what the reaction may be.

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Do none of you expect a discount at a dealers ???? I certainly do..

Whether it's private or dealer I bid low because you never no what the reaction may be.

The point is Charlie, I specifically said in my add, no dealer calls ( as I know they extract the urine ) and price is fixed as I believe it to be bargain price anyway.

I have no problems with people making me offers on items I want offers on and I would expect discount from dealers when buying.

One dealer texted me twice, 'Hey we have buyers for your moho' Me. OK, gimmi 38k and they can bloomin well have it, other wise, jog on.
One guy, 'I like your van but ive only got 35k.... Well, you havent got enough dough then have you old bean, hop it.

Just for a laugh and to make my life more difficult ive added the 'make offer' option :D2
I expect lots of lowball from you lot now hahaha.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The point is Charlie, I specifically said in my add, no dealer calls ( as I know they extract the urine ) and price is fixed as I believe it to be bargain price anyway.

I have no problems with people making me offers on items I want offers on and I would expect discount from dealers when buying.

One dealer texted me twice, 'Hey we have buyers for your moho' Me. OK, gimmi 38k and they can bloomin well have it, other wise, jog on.
One guy, 'I like your van but ive only got 35k.... Well, you havent got enough dough then have you old bean, hop it.

Just for a laugh and to make my life more difficult ive added the 'make offer' option :D2
I expect lots of lowball from you lot now hahaha.

So do you just rock up to a dealers and pay the asking ?

I understand what you put in the ad but people will try surely .... I've heard all the jog on and you ain't got enough blah blah before but very nearly all of the time there is a deal to be had. Of course your bound to disagree but I've bought loads of cars vans and bikes the odd boat or two and nemerous big Jet Skis and always had a good deal or moved on.

Can we see the ad ??

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When I bought my MH from a chap in Glasgow, I travelled down from Inverness (160 miles each way) on my motorbike to see his van. It was as described, well looked after and clean inside and out. I chatted to him for about an hour or so, asked him why he was selling....need a bigger van.....checked the van over as best I could (it was February) and made him an offer at £500 less than he was asking. He accepted, I left him a £1000 deposit.

I checked him out before we collected the van 3 weeks later when I had the money together (£27k) and realised he was a home dealer, who bought and sold vans and cars.

I and wife were/are very happy with the van and still have it, but wished he'd been up front about his buying/selling. The van is all we were looking for, we had looked at maybe 20 different vans and not many came up to same quality & cleanliness both inside and out that this one did. It's our first Hymer but probably won't be the last.We love it and are off to France tomorrow.
We bought our van off a similer guy, think he gets most of his dear ones from auctions then also sells ones he has traded in for less money everything he said about our van was compleatly true , he didn't give any guarantee but just said do any test you want or get someone else to look at it, it was 18 grand four years ago and similar vans are still going for over twenty at dealers, and pleased to say never had any problems like you see on here where people have paid top dollar to so called big dealers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back