Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Yes in an ideal world but we work out figures over the phone from someone that lives say 200 miles away. They assure us van is in “As new condition” van arrives on handover day. We get it downstairs for an appraisal and find the fridge won’t light in gas, the wing mirror must have got caught and I didn’t even realise! Then there is some damp behind a locker. You then tel the customer you need to “Chip” then a few hundred pounds, sometimes more sometimes less. We then get a torrent of abuse that the deal is now done and they will go all over social media etc etc. I actually had to back out of a deal a few weeks ago as after paying for a recent hab check we discovered a customers van was totally rotten. I said it was going to cost thousands to strip the van out and replace wall boards etc. Workshop estimated 100 hours. Customer refused to take any ownership and I had to explain I would rather keep my van.
He then got very shouty with me which resulted with him leaving sharpish!
The other side of that is if I sell a van for 50k and the part is offered at say 30k, that’s only actually 20k I can recover as the other 30k damp rotten van is sat in the compound for a month whilst workshop can find the space to start attacking it then it has to be sold afterwards. Get 6 or 7 of those and you could quickly have several hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of cash flow tied up!

We travelled hundreds of miles looking at ‘immaculate’ private sale vans......looked at 7. Call me a tyre kicker if you want, but some peoples idea of ‘immaculate’ isn’t mine.

In the end, we pushed our budget up and went new.....apparently it‘s a ‘budget’ brand, but at least I’ve got a good chance of fewer nasties. (y)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
'Friends' ?
Yes, penny-pinching and fussy demanding rivet-counters with unrealistic expectations and varying degrees of OCD but I'm never selling anything to them. For fifteen years or more we've been meeting up weekends at bikers' caffs on our vintage bikes for a brew, a bacon sarnie and a natter. Not much to go wrong there.

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
Nowt so queer as folk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I’m starting to feel sorry for dealers now they seem to be all really hard done by and all skint, not making enough on each van sold and their businesses in financial trouble.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
I’m starting to feel sorry for dealers now they seem to be all really hard done by and all skint, not making enough on each van sold and their businesses in financial trouble.
There are a lot of dealers going bust for this very reason!

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Yes that’s why in the end I didn’t mind selling our van to them, the deal was done via e mail, it was a quick transfer of money with no last minute haggling collected from our house. Possibly could have got £2k more on sale or return but that means it sitting on a forecourt waiting for a buyer, who knows we could get another lockdown, miss the boat this year then it’s a year older, plus the cam belt was due in 2 months adding another cost.
After all it’s not allways about the money. On a big potential can of worms Let the dealers do with the hassle they are worth the cost

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They assure us van is in “As new condition”
I've only ever found one person who sells anything privately ,tells the truth by erring on the side of caution & it is better than when they bought it.

If you think it is bad in the UK try here.:giggle: Mind you the dealers do have the right idea here; what you see is what you are buying.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I think some are creaming it looking at dealerships near me in South Hampshire

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
So say a dealer has £8000 across a vehicle. By the time the new buyer has negotiated and got say £2000 off the price, that leave £6000.
On that £6000 you then pay 20% to Her Majesties Finest.
Prep wise will be at least a grand. You then have to pay circa £300 for the warranty. £45 for the MOT, £150 trade internal rate for the service, then you have to pay a sales man commission, then you have the cost of auto trader, the operational cost of the building to factor in etc etc. If you take £2500 by the end of it you have done well!
bearing in mind that’s not a big margin on a £60,000 purchase.
I had some bloke telling me the other day that he knew the score and I had at least 30% in all my vans lol.
I get what you say, except with all the 9 Motorhomes I’ve bought over the years, not once have I ever managed to get a penny of the asking price try as I did. I have found that when you have got a trade in to part exchange against another Motorhome, they know they’ve got you by the short and curlies, and they always claim to not have enough profit to negotiate, which I’ve always found very hard to believe, and as for a dealer Only having £8k across a Motorhome, Alan Kerr had the nerve to offer me a measly £20k for my 2005 Mercedes based Hymer Starline which I know were selling at the time for £29,995. Hmmmm.......

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
surely most of those damaged items would have been allowed for in the price you payed for the van thats why you inspect and damp test vans your buying?

I’m beginning to wonder why dealers bother to stay in business seeing as you and any other dealer you listen to, are barely making a crust on a deal, if it was me I think I would be cutting my losses and getting out of it. Just saying...

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
I get what you say, except with all the 9 Motorhomes I’ve bought over the years, not once have I ever managed to get a penny of the asking price try as I did. I have found that when you have got a trade in to part exchange against another Motorhome, they know they’ve got you by the short and curlies, and they always claim to not have enough profit to negotiate, which I’ve always found very hard to believe, and as for a dealer Only having £8k across a Motorhome, Alan Kerr had the nerve to offer me a measly £20k for my 2005 Mercedes based Hymer Starline which I know were selling at the time for £29,995. Hmmmm.......
Is it not a negation or a starting point? Also depends what was wrong with the van. I took over October last year so don’t know what happened before but if your van wasn’t that tidy or bits were broken etc then you would have been offered less.

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough

When we got our MH I was nervous as it was our first, then I reverted to my years of trading cars and decided it wasn’t much different, sent an email with an offer £4k below the asking price and finally agreed a deal £2800 below (around 7-8%)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
To be fair that's your way of negotiating, certainly not mine or my hubby'! You can either push for a discount off the asking price or a higher PX price however when PXing that's not what is important, what's relevant is the cost to change - the overall deal is what really matters. We always know how much we are prepared to pay to change vehicles, if the cost is above than unless there is a very good reason we wouldn't do the deal, if you go ahead with a deal which you aren't happy with then that's your choice.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
A few years ago, when my wife and I were changing our motorcycles, I told the Dealer we were happy to trade our bikes in for a £1 each. Didn’t really matter what they offered, as long as we were happy with the price to change.

Got a good deal on her bike and I went elsewhere to get a deal. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back