Dealer Service Ability (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
When I purchased my van, new, the fridge didn't work on 12v. Having proved this myself I contacted the dealer, the van was only three weeks old at the time. I was told to bring it in so they could look at it, a round trip of some 200 miles. Duly did this to be told the power card had failed, "not the first I've seen, happens a lot", I was told. "Need to order the part in", strange if it happens all the time. A few weeks later phoned the dealer to find out if they had the part and was told they had and just bring the van in. Another trip up the road, with an overnight stay on a site. Got to the dealer bright and early next morning to be told they had used the part to fix someone else's van. Settled for a none-auto power card on the day.

First gripe, if it happens all the time why don't they check it first, second, hold a stock of spares, thirdly, don't give the parts to someone else! 400 miles (13 gallons of diesel) and a stay on a site.

That was five years ago, yesterday got round to looking a at a persistent draught from the fridge. Found the sealing strip had disappeared so set too with screwdriver to find it. The fridge is secured to the van with three screws on either side, accessed from within the fridge. Took out all the screws to find all three on one side were sheared so the fridge wasn't secured properly. Managed to replace these with longer, larger screws, no draught now.

Some service technician! This is the same dealer that couldn't fix my remote locking under warranty, did it myself eventually.

Summing up, why don't they thoroughly inspect vans before they sell them, and train technicians properly to do the various maintenance and repair jobs presented to them.

Got that off my chest.

Rgds
Bill

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The irony is, you needn't have driven all that way for a fridge repair.
ANY Dometic or Thetford service centre could have carried out the warranty repair and claimed from the fridge manufacturer. The same goes for boilers and heaters!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
My nearest dealer is over 80 miles away anyway, remember, I live in the remote south-west!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We forget how fortunate we are to live in the densely populated East, our Thetford fridge got fixed 15 miles away! The supplying dealer was 50 miles away and that was far enough for us!!!!:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back