Dealer / Manufacturer cop out, where do I stand? (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin - Im sure you could order one to your own spec. They are bespoke when all said and done;)
Absolutely, but on the Sprinter it would still be missing the double floor and decent payload so would have to be on a truck chassis Merc or MAN and then we would need to see the house to pay for it.

Tempting all the same.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Personally I wouldn't bother with legal action if they have offered a full refund, I think your choices are.

1/ live with it, not a good option.

2/ Make it fit with an angle grinder and move on.

3/ Spit you dummy out and get your money back and see if anybody else can do any better.

Just my thoughts.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I was thinking of you getting your monies refunded from TW and armed with the correct part number details etc., buy from a better thought of dealer parts department.

Exactly my thoughts . Premier seem good , they are only 10 mins from me , i only phoned them to see if they stocked heki roof lights in stock to replace an omnistor fan vent on my 2000 hymer . They didn't but the parts guy gave me a 15 min over the phone tutorial on how to do it and what possible pitfalls etc while not trying to sell me anything .There was no need to do so on his part. Really helpful he was.(y)

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I suppose its impossible to get at the other original headlamp to check that part number and compare it to the new one you've been supplied with?
[I'm not mechanically inclined so don't know what's involved but however difficult, it might be quicker or easier than the legal option you're contemplating]

If it is the same - then presumably the manufacturer has "improved" the part and not much can be done.

Would it be possible to get one from a breakers or scrapyard?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@funflair My thoughts as well Martin, my real frustration is that Hymer are adamant there is not a problem, that they have sent the right light unit, this is going to keep happening to others, they should / could be resolving the issue not denying it

@ColinandDawn @wigster the problem is the light can only be obtained from Hymer, they would simply send another of exactly the same style and keep saying it is right

@Langtoftlad not tried the breakers route, I have an odd combination of Xenon and washers, so reducing the possibility, wish I had tried first now though

@Terry, wish I had just let you loose with the grinder at Chester, will call you later to get it sorted :)

Thanks all for support and comments, I am at a pretty low point in MH ownership, seriously looking at trading this one for a different make (y)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I stand to be corrected here, but maybe if you've paid by credit card you can get a refund from them and they will take it up with TW?

I think that there is some sort of protection you get if you buy "duff goods" with credit card.

I guess the big question here is whether the light would fall into this unsuitable category as Hymer seem adamant that it's right, although it clearly isn't.

I feel your pain...and have no other suggestions other than seeing if the credit card guys will help you.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
edit to above, I seem to be having a run of poor quality service from all quarters, or maybe I am just becoming less tolerant, just had some bespoke furniture delivered, the delivery man, refused to bring it in even he couldn't believe it had been sent out so warped and this was a second attempt

Got an electric car from Mercedes should do 'up to' 140 miles on a charge, we never get more than 60, Mercedes now say it is weather / temperature dependent

Not to mention tenants who think that paying rent is a lower priority than all their other commitments, including new cars

It goes on, must be my age o_O

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Someone asked if the OP had legal protection?
We as a very small business have, and you can bet Travel World have too
the minuet the legal letter drops thro Travel Worlds letterbox the shutters will come down on you.
they will simply pass on your letter to their legal protection bods who will recommend they have no further contact with you
Resort to legal only when all bridges and ships have been burnt
A good tip for all of you in disputes, whilst your talking there is hope.

Crap service and outcome by the way but
Any modifications to the lamp or vehicle to make it fit will in all probability void any warranty on the lamp unit, You saying it needed a mod wont cover it,
if its the wrong lamp as you say it is, it shouldn't be in use
G

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I stand to be corrected here, but maybe if you've paid by credit card you can get a refund from them and they will take it up with TW?

I think that there is some sort of protection you get if you buy "duff goods" with credit card.

I guess the big question here is whether the light would fall into this unsuitable category as Hymer seem adamant that it's right, although it clearly isn't.

I feel your pain...and have no other suggestions other than seeing if the credit card guys will help you.

I did consider this an option, even suggesting to TW that be my only course of action, that is when they offer to remove it and give me my money back in full, an odd solution rendering the MH effectively unusable

The grinder is I fear the simplest option, I hope that maybe other Hymer owners on here will recall this if they have similar needs, or that hopefully I am simply the first to come across the problem

Had Hymer been selling a part that was anywhere near a realistic price I guess I would be more tolerant, had TW fitted it right at first attempt I guess I would be more tolerant with them as well

Fed up with 'that will do' attitude

Going off for more coffee and a calm down again :)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
All parties concerned in this appear to be working from part numbers only in all communications, any pics been exchanged yet
We as a Garage often see wrongly boxed parts that don't fit what they are labeled for.
Only this week we received a set of brake discs identically boxed but two different disc were inside,
And to add insult to injury they were both mechanically stamped at the factory with the same part number:( but one was at least 2" bigger in Dia
It does happen and a second physical inspection is required preferably by a body shop or other motor home dealer

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Crap service and outcome by the way but
Any modifications to the lamp or vehicle to make it fit will in all probability void any warranty on the lamp unit, You saying it needed a mod wont cover it,
if its the wrong lamp as you say it is, it shouldn't be in use
G

Going to modify the body work to make it fit, seems the safest way out, doubt I will have much hope with a warranty issue anyway, if they cant even agree it is different :(, I mentioned earlier that Hymer have a new clock to replace mine which is no longer made, it is 5mm too big to fit in a moulded wooden hole, but their reply was something like 'I should be grateful they have found a replacement' maybe lost in translation

I will not be buying another Hymer (y)

as for the wrong lamp, it is 99% right, just with a random extra bulge, housing a blue cap inside that appears to do nothing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
All parties concerned in this appear to be working from part numbers only in all communications, any pics been exchanged yet
We as a Garage often see wrongly boxed parts that don't fit what they are labeled for.
Only this week we received a set of brake discs identically boxed but two different disc were inside,
And to add insult to injury they were both mechanically stamped at the factory with the same part number:( but one was at least 2" bigger in Dia
It does happen and a second physical inspection is required preferably by a body shop or other motor home dealer

Tried the photos bit, I only have TW's word that they have been passed on, but really cant see why they wouldn't, the worst bit for me with TW at the moment is they will not even look for the original part now, stories ranged from it has been sent back for inspection to it will be in a skip, even the day after it was fitted when I asked them they couldn't or wouldn't

Something is odd, maybe they simply prefer compliant customers who say nothing when things are not right :(, £1500 + for a headlight, this should be absolutely perfect

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I did consider this an option, even suggesting to TW that be my only course of action, that is when they offer to remove it and give me my money back in full, an odd solution rendering the MH effectively unusable

The grinder is I fear the simplest option, I hope that maybe other Hymer owners on here will recall this if they have similar needs, or that hopefully I am simply the first to come across the problem

Had Hymer been selling a part that was anywhere near a realistic price I guess I would be more tolerant, had TW fitted it right at first attempt I guess I would be more tolerant with them as well

Fed up with 'that will do' attitude

Going off for more coffee and a calm down again :)
Coffee don't calm you down in fact quite the opposite try a nice Camomile tea!:)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
How about Trading Standards?

I think TW will simply say they have fitted the correct part as supplied

I have virtually given up now, I want to sort it myself quickly before the light breaks again and becomes a financial problem as well as a mental challenge (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sorry, not sure of the question never mind the answer.

Martin

Was asked about names of high end German vans...thought you would have a better idea as it's a few years since I saw a poll. Just remembered that hymer where about 10th

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
There is nothing to stop a manufacturer carrying out modifications or improvements to a part, without notification, or being liable for such improvements, so maybe that's what has happened, and it may be the vehicle bodywork on later models that was modified slightly differently to yours David. I am referring to that blip on the inner top of the headlight aperture.

What do Hella, the manufacturers of the lamp, have to say about it?

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
How about a second opinion from another Hymer dealership?

Are you taking TW's word about the communication from Hymer?
Are you certain TW requested the right part/variant from Hymer - if TW got it wrong but Hymer sent the requested bit, of course they're going to say they're right.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David

You are right to take a bit away from the body work to let it all sit in stress free, don't touch the light and it still has warranty.

These lights are made by Hella so it might be worth asking them about the change from your original to what appears to be the "new" one, they would not keep making both if your new one was a small improvement as it should fit the van with just a very small modification, which any "competent" dealer service workshop should be able to do.

Martin

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Tried the photos bit, I only have TW's word that they have been passed on, but really cant see why they wouldn't, the worst bit for me with TW at the moment is they will not even look for the original part now, stories ranged from it has been sent back for inspection to it will be in a skip, even the day after it was fitted when I asked them they couldn't or wouldn't
t

Find some/all Hymer.de email addresses & send pictures stating the problem & route taken so far & there response. Wait a period for a response .If none ,Do it again, create other email addys & continue to do so until you are getting a sensible dialogue with someone.

Most dealers ensure that all parts changed ,the old ones are left available for the customer to take away.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Think I'm losing the plot here, modifying the body to fit a new headlight:Eeek:, this is a motor worth £30,000+ , a headlight £1500, and they can't get it right, you could get a headlight for a motor 50 years old that would fit without "modifying " the body(n)(n):(

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi David

You are right to take a bit away from the body work to let it all sit in stress free, don't touch the light and it still has warranty.

These lights are made by Hella so it might be worth asking them about the change from your original to what appears to be the "new" one, they would not keep making both if your new one was a small improvement as it should fit the van with just a very small modification, which any "competent" dealer service workshop should be able to do.

Martin

Just send Hella the part no on existing working lamp and new one and ask their opinion and photos of each

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Phew we came close to buying a new van recently. Thank god we didn't I don't have your patience or control my hands would be around someone's throat by now.
Last time I experienced service this bad was from Mercedes on a £50k E class never bought new since.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
There is nothing to stop a manufacturer carrying out modifications or improvements to a part, without notification, or being liable for such improvements, so maybe that's what has happened, and it may be the vehicle bodywork on later models that was modified slightly differently to yours David. I am referring to that blip on the inner top of the headlight aperture.

What do Hella, the manufacturers of the lamp, have to say about it?

Cheers,

Jock. :)

I agree Jock, I reckon the light has been changed, but Hymer don't appear to have given thought to how it will fit in older MH's, I think it will be a simple bodywork modification, but one that should have been done by the dealer with guidance from Hymer IMO

Now I can see the solution, I am going down that route independently, rather than keep trying with TW who appear to have shut their doors to communication (y)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Get them to come out to you to grind the body back to fit, they shouldn't have let it out of their garage in that condition.
Its not a great advert for Hymer or Travelworld.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
How about a second opinion from another Hymer dealership?

Are you taking TW's word about the communication from Hymer?
Are you certain TW requested the right part/variant from Hymer - if TW got it wrong but Hymer sent the requested bit, of course they're going to say they're right.

The trouble here is that any other dealer now getting involved would inevitably have to deal with the same person in Germany, I suspect it would just come back round in the same loop o_O

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back