Deadlocks or alarm/immobilizer or don't bother as they are all sub 60 second to break (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The way I figure it:

You fit and use whatever security the insurers want - so you're insured

In addition, you fit & use whatever security devices that makes you feel comfortable - for your own peace of mind (there's plenty to choose from)

But remember, none of these will stop your van being nicked or broken into by a determined criminal

A few further observations:

As I've posted before, I can't find any statistics for the amount of thefts of or from motorhomes, so it's probably not a pandemic

Motorhome insurance is relatively cheap - from which I assume the risks are relatively low

Paranoia is easily generated by social media (as well as other forms of media)

My main method of security is not taking my Rolex watch with when I'm on my holidays in my box on wheels, plus I rarely use/carry much cash - so even if/when I'm gassed, I won't lose too much šŸ™‚
you have to have the Rolex, IPad Pro and Ā£2000. It is the law.

You are right though. Despite the MSM publicity it is relatively low risk. What really pees me off is the insurance insistence on a tracker which is largely a waste of time

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Funny story about alarm systems.

Way back in the 80s when loads of cars were being nicked and TWOCed I was working at a place involved with designing electronics stuff.

A lot of the lads there, like me, were running cars that were just one step up from bangers as we had mortgages and stuff to pay.

BUT, the cars all had the most amazing alarm systems ! It was like a competition ! Some were designing them with discrete components, other were using micro-processor systems. Mine was based on the same micro-processor as used in the first space shuttles. Some were radio controlled, some had hidden switches to turn them on and off.

As Eddie Van bitz said, we were using N/C switches, some went a bit further and ran a square wave down the switch circuits.

We all had our preferred flow chart of what the alarm would do in the event of a break in to the car.

We were certain that it would have been cheaper for the Company to say "right, for the next week we are going to design and build the World's best car alarm, then it's back to normal work". As with everybody working part time on their own alarm system it was costing them way more.

I'd suggest that the basic design of a car / MH system has not changed much since then.

It's just a bunch of circuits being monitored for a change of state and then the system produces outputs as demanded by the flow chart. Again as Eddie says, we never liked PIR or ultrasonic circuits and we found the doppler systems could suffer from developing a "memory".

I keep putting off designing and building my own alarm system as these days I'd have to use stripboard rather than designing a printed circuit board. If lockdown goes on much longer think that will force me into it.

As regards MHs I think Eddie is absolutely right in saying that the major part of putting in an effective alarm system is the fitting. Deciding where the zones of coverage should be, how to hide the wiring connections and installations and where to fit the sounders so they are difficult to silence.

Strangely tho, even when I get round to installing my alarm, and I am doing for myself in a vehicle I know every inch of, the insurance Company will not give me any discount for having an alarm as it is not manufactured or installed to Thatcham standards.

Oct 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
i'm a newbie
Haven't seen a wheel clamp mentioned, are they not suitable for motorhomes?

Oct 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
i'm a newbie
Forty years ago it was easy to get in a car but hardly any were nicked because you never saw robbers with pockets full of rotor arms...šŸ˜
I remove the rotor arm on my old car, along with a battery isolater switch. I guess it's different with modern vehicles.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Haven't seen a wheel clamp mentioned, are they not suitable for motorhomes?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Just bought a second hand Possl, based on a Ducato and am thinking about security. I was going to fit deadlocks, then saw how easy it is to id the key code using locksmiths tools. If a thief really wants to get in, then the windows are an easy route for those who don't possess the locksmith kit. Or just pry open the doors and create huge damage. Another option is an alarm/immobilizer, though looking at the Thatcham web site, even the Van bitz solution appears to be sub 60 seconds to breach.

The heosafe appears to offer internal security (for cab doors), which is a nice add on. The deadlocks being visible from the outside may well deter the screwdriver brigade, and the alarm (whilst people tend to ignore it), may stop the vehicle from actually getting stolen. I could go for everything, but really!

Appreciate your views, and any stat's perhaps on what the most common security breach is?
I would suggest putting as much security on your vehicle as you can, physical and electronic whilst no vehicle is theft proof you can make it a pain in the backside to nick and hopefully and unfortunately encourage the thieves to shop elsewhere. Stoplock, clutch claw, OBD and Nemisis wheel lock, turning the chairs and locking them the choice is yours, then add a eddievanbitz alarm non - starter and a Tracker. Maybe just maybe the thief will not bother.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just bought a second hand Possl, based on a Ducato and am thinking about security. I was going to fit deadlocks, then saw how easy it is to id the key code using locksmiths tools. If a thief really wants to get in, then the windows are an easy route for those who don't possess the locksmith kit. Or just pry open the doors and create huge damage. Another option is an alarm/immobilizer, though looking at the Thatcham web site, even the Van bitz solution appears to be sub 60 seconds to breach.

The heosafe appears to offer internal security (for cab doors), which is a nice add on. The deadlocks being visible from the outside may well deter the screwdriver brigade, and the alarm (whilst people tend to ignore it), may stop the vehicle from actually getting stolen. I could go for everything, but really!

Appreciate your views, and any stat's perhaps on what the most common security breach is?
If you search on "security" on here or the relevant product names you will find lots of info. & feedback (y) We are in the "as many deterrents as we can afford" camp! Do understand other points of view on this though.
Other options are available but some product ideas to start you off if you do choose the added security route :
Lock M Out & Milenco window alarms & Heosafe internal cab door locks https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...cessories-discount-codes.184590/#post-3030083
Womo-Tuning (now Camperprotect) products mentioned above (with discount code) especially the OBD lock https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-ducato-2012-but-fits-from-06-onwards.227627/
We are big fans of Clutch Claw https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/clutch-claw-with-10-motorhome-fun-discount-code.218289/
Wheel clamp info. above & lots. lots more...

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back