Dead (non-leisure) battery in Chausson Flash 03 (1 Viewer)

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
Hey,

I have a 2013 Chausson Flash 03 (on a Ford Transit base). Despite my best efforts in keeping on top of over-lockdown maintenance, I fear I may have been doing more harm than good in going out and starting it every couple of weeks and leaving it running for a bit (possibly not long enough) or going on the occasional drive (no more than 5-10 miles though), so as predicted I came to start it today and it's dead as a dodo.

Attempts to jump start it from my X-Trail (1.6 litre diesel) or BMW (3 litre diesel) have been unsuccessful, you can tell it gets a little further than before but doesn't seem to have enough juice to properly start. Lots of clicking heard and the starter motor for a second before the dash lights fade and it all stops.

Admit I've not had masses of experience in jump starting, and the few times I've jump started a car it's started ok but appreciate this is a van with I imagine a much bigger battery.

I read you should leave the cables connected for a while with the donor car running to help give the dead battery some charge, not sure how long for though? Also read elsewhere to have someone rev the donor car while attempting to start the dead van, could that help?

Failing that I suppose I'll need to get the battery out which leads me to my next question; I read that it's under the drivers seat in a Transit, is that still the case in the Chausson? No mention of it anywhere in the manuals I got.

Has anyone managed to replace a battery in a Chausson Flash? Any tips?

Rich

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Battery will probably be knackered or if not knackered totally it will now have much reduced capacity, at 7 years old too, I would replace it rather than risk getting stuck somewhere.

If you put one of these cheap Bluetooth monitors on it in future you can keep an eye on terminal voltage šŸ‘

Amazon product ASIN B07RWGCHTH
Just 2 fork terminals on the battery, it must be the simplest gadget ever to fit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
Battery will probably be knackered or if not knackered totally it will now have much reduced capacity, at 7 years old too, I would replace it rather than risk getting stuck somewhere.

I suspect as much, and didn't own the van from new so can only assume it could well be the original battery too.

Thanks for the tip on the monitor, not seen them before but will definitely grab one and fit it on a replacement when I figure out how to get to it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Chances are itā€™s under the driver's seat.
The seats are heavy...Iā€™m told.

might also be worth taking a photo of the wiring before removing. Mine looks like a spagetti junction, from what I can see , and have made a mental note to photograph, if I have to replace. Might be perfectly straightforward of course.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Had this problem trying to jumpstart my transit Moho a couple of years ago. Could not jump start it using connections under bonnet. On mine under front of drivers seat has A cover with a turn button on, release button and pull plastic cover forward. Slide seat forward and you may be able to access battery terminals to get a better charge or jump. If the seat has been retro fitted with swivel may be totally different. I access mine like that and put a Ā£15 battery charger on it. To remover batteries (mine has 2) you need to slide seat backwards and forwards to see star drive Bolts to remove seat. Before lifting seat out put something on ground to put seat on before lifting out as heavy and Restricted by seatbelt attached but can be done.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
If you search ā€œtransit cab solarā€ on this site thread 1 & 3 have useful pictures. Sorry unable to cut and paste.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
On a separate note. Can't see any reason to keep starting the engine and going nowhere....

Yes, my bad, I mistakenly assumed that starting it and leaving it running for half an hour or so while I did other stuff in the van would keep the battery healthy during lockdown.... I know the error of my ways now.

Bit of an update, finally managed to get it jumped from a bigger diesel donor car and took it out for a long drive last night. Suspect I've killed/damaged the battery though still and have lost trust in it (don't want this happening to me on a site, or worse, on holiday!) so will be looking to replace it.

Upvote 0

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Replace it with the same type. If itā€™s an AGM and itā€™s the original battery, then the charging system is for AGM and will kill a flood battery. Conversely, if it is a flood, donā€™t put an AGM, the charging system would never be able to charge it. Not that there would be any reason to replace a flood with AGM, but just in case.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Yes, my bad, I mistakenly assumed that starting it and leaving it running for half an hour or so while I did other stuff in the van would keep the battery healthy during lockdown.... I know the error of my ways now.

Bit of an update, finally managed to get it jumped from a bigger diesel donor car and took it out for a long drive last night. Suspect I've killed/damaged the battery though still and have lost trust in it (don't want this happening to me on a site, or worse, on holiday!) so will be looking to replace it.
Glad you didn't take offence at my comment - but you now know it is fairly pointless starting running and turning off for no reason. Have you measured voltage at battery when engine running, 15 minutes after switch off and again after a few hours at rest? This will tell you if the charging system is okay and point to a good or duff battery. A GOOD battery should still read 12.6 to 12.8V after a few hours rest (cheap multimeters are not deadly accurate but good enough to show you if it can keep that charge).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
Glad you didn't take offence at my comment - but you now know it is fairly pointless starting running and turning off for no reason. Have you measured voltage at battery when engine running, 15 minutes after switch off and again after a few hours at rest? This will tell you if the charging system is okay and point to a good or duff battery. A GOOD battery should still read 12.6 to 12.8V after a few hours rest (cheap multimeters are not deadly accurate but good enough to show you if it can keep that charge).

I havenā€™t, but I shall. Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
Replace it with the same type. If itā€™s an AGM and itā€™s the original battery, then the charging system is for AGM and will kill a flood battery. Conversely, if it is a flood, donā€™t put an AGM, the charging system would never be able to charge it. Not that there would be any reason to replace a flood with AGM, but just in case.
Itā€™s Ford branded so going to take a punt that itā€™s the original factory fit one (making it seven years old now), thanks for the advice, if I replace Iā€™ll make sure I replace with the same type.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
A GOOD battery should still read 12.6 to 12.8V after a few hours rest (cheap multimeters are not deadly accurate but good enough to show you if it can keep that charge).

Just went out and measured 12.1V across the terminals of the battery under the driverā€™s seat. Hasnā€™t been started since my drive out after jump starting it last night so does that sound low?

I wonā€™t have a chance to start and drive it today but will do tomorrow and take the other measurements as you suggest.

Rich

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just went out and measured 12.1V across the terminals of the battery under the driverā€™s seat. Hasnā€™t been started since my drive out after jump starting it last night so does that sound low?
Yes that is basically dead at 50%
Hey,

I have a 2013 Chausson Flash 03 (on a Ford Transit base). Despite my best efforts in keeping on top of over-lockdown maintenance, I fear I may have been doing more harm than good in going out and starting it every couple of weeks and leaving it running for a bit (possibly not long enough) or going on the occasional drive (no more than 5-10 miles though), so as predicted I came to start it today and it's dead as a dodo.

Attempts to jump start it from my X-Trail (1.6 litre diesel) or BMW (3 litre diesel) have been unsuccessful, you can tell it gets a little further than before but doesn't seem to have enough juice to properly start. Lots of clicking heard and the starter motor for a second before the dash lights fade and it all stops.

Admit I've not had masses of experience in jump starting, and the few times I've jump started a car it's started ok but appreciate this is a van with I imagine a much bigger battery.

I read you should leave the cables connected for a while with the donor car running to help give the dead battery some charge, not sure how long for though? Also read elsewhere to have someone rev the donor car while attempting to start the dead van, could that help?

Failing that I suppose I'll need to get the battery out which leads me to my next question; I read that it's under the drivers seat in a Transit, is that still the case in the Chausson? No mention of it anywhere in the manuals I got.

Has anyone managed to replace a battery in a Chausson Flash? Any tips?

Rich
The AA man said when attending mine that transits require a 100% battery on a good day & that the "jump start " points aren't worth a toss. I'd already found that out having failed to start it with a car & another 100% battery connected to them.We pushed seat forward & he connected to the battery.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
An update on this. I got a set of torx sockets and lifted the drivers seat to get to the battery - tricky hidden fifth bolt caused me a bit of pain as it required the seat to be swivelled 90 degrees to the right, don't ever swivel the seat this way so it was very stiff but sorting out my stiff swivel is for another time =).

Any recommendations on a replacement battery? Ford want Ā£160, but looking for any other makes that you guys have used?

This is the label on the current battery, and here are its dimensions:
32cm wide
18cm deep
17.5cm high

Edit: Apologies for the sideways picture, here's the (what I think) relevant details:

Silver Calcium
80 Ah, 700 A (SAE)

Attachments

• 6C16-10655-CD.jpg
    6C16-10655-CD.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
An update on this. I got a set of torx sockets and lifted the drivers seat to get to the battery - tricky hidden fifth bolt caused me a bit of pain as it required the seat to be swivelled 90 degrees to the right, don't ever swivel the seat this way so it was very stiff but sorting out my stiff swivel is for another time =).

Any recommendations on a replacement battery? Ford want Ā£160, but looking for any other makes that you guys have used?

This is the label on the current battery, and here are its dimensions:
32cm wide
18cm deep
17.5cm high

Edit: Apologies for the sideways picture, here's the (what I think) relevant details:

Silver Calcium
80 Ah, 700 A (SAE)

Halfords Trade Card gets a god percentage off.
The larger battery companies list the dimensions of their batteries for you too.
Under bonnet battery for the Ducato is commonly 017 or 019 (main difference is height of battery)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back