Dead Flat Battery (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Just gone to MH and begin the spring opening and found the battery was absolutely flat....no lights on dash.

I'm guessing I have left something on? If I flick the switch to cab will it help me start it?

Thanks

Derek

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Probably not
I suspect that switch is to charge cab batt when on hook up
Americans have a switch to join up hab and cab batts in an emergency, not seen anything like that on a Euro Van
Geo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just opening up the van after the winter lay off will probably mean it has been stood for at least 5 months.

your battery will have both self discharged and been drained by 'parasytic' loads...alarm.clock etc.

a good chance after 5 months it may be knackered due to being left flat for so long.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Probably not
I suspect that switch is to charge cab batt when on hook up
Americans have a switch to join up hab and cab batts in an emergency, not seen anything like that on a Euro Van
Geo

Unless, you have a twin battery Transit Geo!
As soon as the ign is switched on, all our batteries are joined via an isolator under the driver's seat.
I know this won't help in this case, but I thought I would share the info!:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just gone to MH and begin the spring opening and found the battery was absolutely flat....no lights on dash.

I'm guessing I have left something on? If I flick the switch to cab will it help me start it?

Thanks

Derek

Hi Derek sounds like you have killed your starter battery :Doh::cry: You could try jump leads from the L/B or even connect it onto the van to get you started.Then drive to the spares shop and buy a new starter battery- remember to disconnect it next yr and take it home for a charge before fitting :winky:
terry

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Thanks

Derek

Derek...It seems that is the norm....Flat batteries after a winter storage...but I must say the motorhome we have now is much different to our last motorhome...meaning... we had the same size solar panel fitted from new 120w...same size Fiat battery on the cab...same Fiat 130 - 2.3 multijet.....but the difference with this one... the solar is charging the cab and hab batteries.....and the other motorhome must not have been charging the cab battery...because every time I use to try start the other motor after a few weeks in the winter period the cab batt was flat ...sometimes I could not even open the door with the central locking key fob......totally flat... due what is running in the background ...immobilser etc......On the new motorhome the hab and cab battery are always fully charged even though the same things are running on the cab background....must be wired different or a different regulator....Both set ups were fitted by a different motorhome companies::bigsmile:::bigsmile:...and that is not using any EHU:thumb::thumb:

AS I said many times my battery was totally FLAT...so it was either buy a new battery or try one of these smart chargers...(cranking batteries in France are around 180 to 250 euros) so it was worth a try I paid about £59.00 for mine...it worked for me the old battery back to normal....I mean like a new battery again and I still have the charger for other batteries.

I don't know how bad your battery is ...But this charger worked for me...

Link Removed

looks like they have gone up in price since I purchased mine.....You do not have to disconnect any wires off the battery....it does not damage any thing and after about 6 to 8 hours all back to normal .it pulses then chargers at 16amp then drops down.....BRILL I should COCO
Mel

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Unless, you have a twin battery Transit Geo!
As soon as the ign is switched on, all our batteries are joined via an isolator under the driver's seat.
I know this won't help in this case, but I thought I would share the info!:thumb:

Much prefer the manual system on the yanks, you know when its needed
I suspect ith a fully automatic system its possible o have a knacked stsrter battery without knowing till you get on site, and wonder why your leisure has bee pulled down
Is there a monitoring system for all batteries
if so Im talking bull:Doh:
Geo

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our starter battery is charged by the solar, though leisure batteries have priority. I don't know how this works, but it does, something in the Rapido electric box of tricks.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Our starter battery is charged by the solar, though leisure batteries have priority. I don't know how this works, but it does, something in the Rapido electric box of tricks.

Ah AH :thumb:...same with ours......what a difference::bigsmile:

OP
OP
acting_strange
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Update

OK....so I tried to jump start it....that didn't happen:Sad:.....so I took the battery out and found it was a Magneti Marelli....so my guess is its original.:Eeek:

Have now bought (but not yet fitted) a new battery.::bigsmile:

My only worry is what caused the failure? I did find that I had left the fridge switches on....but as far as I am aware when not on hook-up or ignition on those switches have no effect?

Never mind, lesson learned,:Doh: next year I will disconnect when I put her up for the winter.

On the plus side there was absolutely no smell of damp in her and I discovered that I have an Alco chassis extension so I should be able to make my own towbar easily.:thumb:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I left the fridge on once off hook up and flattened the battery, on mine you can leave the door ajar to allow a bit of air circulation what I didn't realise is that it was enough for the light in the fridge to be on, hence a flat batt. ain't dun that again.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
fiats

When we first got our Fiat the engine battery was flat after being left for 6 weeks, (unlike our previous Merc Sprinter which never went flat on us) apparently Fiats have a reputation for the alarm system, internal clock being quite power hungry.
All of which will drain your engine battery unless you have something like the Battery Master fitted which will keep the engine battery topped up whilst the leisure batteries are being charged.
Of course you need either a solar panel or to be plugged into the mains.

Usually from my understanding the fridge won`t run on 12v unless the engine is running and this would be from the leisure batteries as is the cab radio.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

:Eeek:re-flat battery,s i have just purchased an in line charger whenever stood and electric connected the charger works, when fully charged it goes in to standby[red] until required [green] had no problems so far [halford,s] about 25/30/£,been away for 2 months battery fully charged /hope thios helps u:thumb:

OP
OP
acting_strange
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Twas a dead (meaning worn out) battery in the finish :eek:)

Bought a new battery, fitted it and checked the system with no problems found so...

Started first time:thumb:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Usually from my understanding the fridge won`t run on 12v unless the engine is running and this would be from the leisure batteries as is the cab radio.

This is almost certainly true if you have a three way fridge but definitely untrue if you have a 12V compressor fridge as this will work all the time, engine on or engine off.

A compressor fridge is great for use on board ferries as it works efficiently all the time but does cane the habitation battery. A hookup, genny or solar panel with extra habitation batteries are needed.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

Mine is the same - it uses a Battery Master - quite expensive but easy to fit.

The battery master trickle charges the cab battery once the habitation battery is fully charged. Worked well all winter when used with my solar panels.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
very easy to fix don't live the poor van for five months use it all year round you would fell a bit run down if you weir left for five months:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Followtheox

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
banbury
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autotrail
Exp
2 years
Last year we left our Autotrail Comanche for about a month and all 3 batteries were flat as pancakes. Dealer thought one leisure battery went down so charge no kept and starter battery never charged.
This year, after new leisure battery and new starter battery fitted,after a month stored with solar panel active, all three batteries dead again. Dealer said other leisure battery went down taking others with it. Both leisure batteries again replaced (at dealers expense) Our dealers (Elite motorhomes) are very good but while looking around their yard while they carried out the replacements we saw the new Scout and the new one is due in May! :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back