Dead Battery - Do i need a Solar Panel to stop this. (1 Viewer)

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
My van (a 2008, 23k miles, Autotrail) is parked up in the UK, has been sitting on a parking pitch for maybe 6+ weeks, through the crappy weather and now i try to start it and the Keyfob wont even open the doors. Tried jump leads but i guess it is really dead as it still wont kick over. So took the battery out and now charging at home.
I noticed that i could not lock the nearside door as no barrel or means of locking save the keyfob which is now not working as the battery is now in my other vehicle. Not Happy.

So, advice needed on a Solar Panel to stop this happening.
I have seen loads for sale on Ebay, 100W at various prices £100-£150.........what do i need to look for ?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Get a panel at least 100w and a MPPT controller that charges/maintains both the starter and leisure batteries like the Votronic Duo 150 or 250 (depending what size panel you get)
Got all my stuff from Photonic Universe, they sell on ebay too.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Agree with Richard and Ann above. You will need a minimum of a 100 watt solar panel and more like 200 watts plus if you have room on the top of your van to accommodate it due to it being a winter battery standing problem when solar panels don’t work at their best.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
I noticed that i could not lock the nearside door as no barrel or means of locking save the keyfob which is now not working as the battery is now in my other vehicle. Not Happy.
There is a way of locking- you may need to look in Chassis manual. Ours on Fist Ducato has a little hole on inside of edge of door and we can lock manually. This happened to us so looked in Fiat manual.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have 200 watt solar with a Schaudt regulator that charges both hab and engine batteries, but this winter had an almost flat starter battery for the first time in three years .. the Srikeback alarm must have been drawing more power than the sun was putting back.. so back on ehu until weather picks up ..

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have 200 watt solar with a Schaudt regulator that charges both hab and engine batteries, but this winter had an almost flat starter battery for the first time in three years .. the Srikeback alarm must have been drawing more power than the sun was putting back.. so back on ehu until weather picks up ..
The same down here on the South Kent Coast with a 200 watt roof mounted solar panel facing southerly towards France with no distractions other than the sea.. but asked to go back onto the 240 volt supply until the weather picks up a bit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back