De scaling shower head ... cost me £25 (2 Viewers)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Getting the caravan ready today after the winter drain-down.. Filled the water system to check all was well... tested heater , all working tickityboo .. taps all working ..

Tried the shower and thought... ah ha.. you need de scaling, At that point Jan suggests..(yes I blame her ) .. put it into de scaler, the one you clean the kettle with..

Righty ho, off I go and put it in a pot of warm water and some de scaler.. then .. put it on the cooker to bring to boil.... went outside and forgot about .. came back, retrieved from the pot ... and it had popped the casing and distorted the head ... :Doh: totally knackered.. :cry:

so.. new head needed and £25 lighter ... :Angry: what a plonker I am :Blush::Blush:

It's a combination Whale Elegance combination shower head.. just in case anyone has one kicking about going begging ,..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
whats wrong with good old vinegar Jim...no boiling and can sprinkle on yer chips when you've finished....evidently we need a bit of calcium in our diet :ROFLMAO:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I always need to de-scale our kettle every 10 days, never thought anyone in Scotland had hard water, but we do, as we have a private supply which comes down off the hills.

I always buy the packs of Oust for that, then let it cool and use it on the shower head:thumb:

Now out of de-scaler and tried the vinegar in the kettle this morning, without any success:Blush: maybe pappajohn could give me his method:Smile: I only had malt vinegar:Angry:
Maybe I didn't leave it for long enough:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Getting the caravan ready today after the winter drain-down.. Filled the water system to check all was well... tested heater , all working tickityboo .. taps all working ..

Tried the shower and thought... ah ha.. you need de scaling, At that point Jan suggests..(yes I blame her ) .. put it into de scaler, the one you clean the kettle with..

Righty ho, off I go and put it in a pot of warm water and some de scaler.. then .. put it on the cooker to bring to boil.... went outside and forgot about .. came back, retrieved from the pot ... and it had popped the casing and distorted the head ... :Doh: totally knackered.. :cry:

so.. new head needed and £25 lighter ... :Angry: what a plonker I am :Blush::Blush:

It's a combination Whale Elegance combination shower head.. just in case anyone has one kicking about going begging ,..

Oops!!:Blush:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I always need to de-scale our kettle every 10 days, never thought anyone in Scotland had hard water, but we do, as we have a private supply which comes down off the hills.

I always buy the packs of Oust for that, then let it cool and use it on the shower head:thumb:

Now out of de-scaler and tried the vinegar in the kettle this morning, without any success:Blush: maybe pappajohn could give me his method:Smile: I only had malt vinegar:Angry:
Maybe I didn't leave it for long enough:Doh:

White alcohol vinegar works best--cheap as chips in France but don't know if it exists in UK.
For a shower head, place shower head in a bowl and pour vinegar into it. Let stand, agitate a bit, let it stand, agitate a bit, empty, repeat if necessary,

For a kettle, pour in enough vinegar to minimum level. Boil, allow to cool, agitate, empty. Repeat if necessary. Rinse well. Boil 2 or 3 lots of water and empty each to get rid of any vinegar taste.

Very hard water here--I use vinegar on taps, shower screens, the lot!

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
White alcohol vinegar works best--cheap as chips in France but don't know if it exists in UK.
For a shower head, place shower head in a bowl and pour vinegar into it. Let stand, agitate a bit, let it stand, agitate a bit, empty, repeat if necessary,

For a kettle, pour in enough vinegar to minimum level. Boil, allow to cool, agitate, empty. Repeat if necessary. Rinse well. Boil 2 or 3 lots of water and empty each to get rid of any vinegar taste.

Very hard water here--I use vinegar on taps, shower screens, the lot!

Many thanks for your message! I will get some of the normal white vinegar and try that soon. The kettle is metal, with a concealed element, so the base always gets covered in about 7 - 10 days, it's a real pain! I get through a 3-pack of Oust descaler every month, so the white vinegar will certainly work out a lot cheaper.
Many thanks again and best regards, Margaret:thumb:
Will let you know how I get on:Smile:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Many thanks for your message! I will get some of the normal white vinegar and try that soon. The kettle is metal, with a concealed element, so the base always gets covered in about 7 - 10 days, it's a real pain! I get through a 3-pack of Oust descaler every month, so the white vinegar will certainly work out a lot cheaper.
Many thanks again and best regards, Margaret:thumb:
Will let you know how I get on:Smile:

When you do your kettle for the first time, use 1/3 vinegar to 2/3 water, then adjust strength as necessary.
Bonne chance!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I use white sarsons pickling vinegar. Leave it in the kettle overnight clean as new the next morning. I don't heat it or anything.

I also use it in the toilet to remove limescale. Sorts the sliding mechanism out nicely as well. After I have used the vinegar I pour a little warmed up cooking oil onto the blade and leave it for an hour or two. Good as new. I am not recommending anyone else use this method. I have been doing it for two years now with no ill effects but won't be held responsible if you get any negative effects.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
whats wrong with good old vinegar Jim...no boiling and can sprinkle on yer chips when you've finished....evidently we need a bit of calcium in our diet :ROFLMAO:

John that is all I use Vinegar:Doh:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Jim won`t a normal shower head fit, the ones on the electric showers usually have a finer spray.:thumb::thumb::thumb:Failing that have you still got the watering can:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I agree with WASP a normal shower head should fit :thumb:Ours is just a normal shower head and pipe :thumb:I think I bought a couple from Netto for about 3 quid,one for house and one for van.I got them because they had rubber head/jets on,simply rub your hand over to clear the head.I may well have a spare in my garage if you want it ?(normal house one)
terry

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim won`t a normal shower head fit, the ones on the electric showers usually have a finer spray.:thumb::thumb::thumb:Failing that have you still got the watering can:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I agree with WASP a normal shower head should fit :thumb:Ours is just a normal shower head and pipe :thumb:I think I bought a couple from Netto for about 3 quid,one for house and one for van.I got them because they had rubber head/jets on,simply rub your hand over to clear the head.I may well have a spare in my garage if you want it ?(normal house one)
terry

'Fraid not, it's a Whale combination shower head/sink tap .

ie.. it slots into the sink unit and used as wash basin tap outlet ..

images

350287_lge.jpg

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim 99% cert a normal shower head will fit onto that pipe-try your shower head from house- It will not turn on and off but that's what taps are for ::bigsmile: You can always buy a trigger type head.
terry

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I know it was a nice weekend but are you not expecting any more frost in sunny Suffolk,:Cool: do you think that filling your water system already is a good idea.:Eeek:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I know it was a nice weekend but are you not expecting any more frost in sunny Suffolk,:Cool: do you think that filling your water system already is a good idea.:Eeek:

It is if he intends to use it ::bigsmile:
terry

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
ScotJimland sorry to hear of your problem and yes mel and the others are right we always used it but never again.We have found a new product called Movieprep its gauranteed to leave every hole clear.I have just ingested my second dose ready for my visit to the oncology dept and believe me it has cleared every bit of shit from asshole to earhole.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim 99% cert a normal shower head will fit onto that pipe-try your shower head from house- It will not turn on and off but that's what taps are for ::bigsmile: You can always buy a trigger type head.
terry

the domestic shower head has a much bigger thread dia.,.. also it has to slot into the post on the sink ..

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

don't think we will see much more frost.. but I'll keep an eye on the forecast .. easy to drain down again ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back