buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Went to Asda today and found this reduced from £20.00 to £15.00 couldn't refuse it for winter.
WP_20141005_12_34_50_Pro.jpg

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Just check the operating temperatures - the cheap ones that Aldi sell will not work below 10C. They rely on ambient temperature to thaw the captured moisture, which turn to ice. Anything below 10c and the ice does not melt before the cooling unit kicks back in (not adjustable time period), resulting in more cooling which equals one big block of ice at the rear, which funnily cools the motorhome down even more.

The type of humidifier supplied by Ebac etc, which costs a lot more has a forced thawing system, which will operate to lower temperatures, but again struggles when in a cold place.

If you have bought it to keep unheated motor home damp free in winter - then it is unlikely to work. Better return it and get money back when you can.

Only my thoughts having bought 3 cheap ones before giving up. The home one (ebac) works better, but again won’t work when it gets really cold.

OP
OP
buckby

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
It should be all right as I have an heater on all winter as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Their great, but dont buy the Pifco model...........(y)(y)

glyndwr

Free Member
May 11, 2014
Abergavenny
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
since 1984 Chausson atm
Just check the operating temperatures - the cheap ones that Aldi sell will not work below 10C. They rely on ambient temperature to thaw the captured moisture, which turn to ice. Anything below 10c and the ice does not melt before the cooling unit kicks back in (not adjustable time period), resulting in more cooling which equals one big block of ice at the rear, which funnily cools the motorhome down even more.
My experience too .

The type of humidifier supplied by Ebac etc, which costs a lot more has a forced thawing system, which will operate to lower temperatures, but again struggles when in a cold place.

If you have bought it to keep unheated motor home damp free in winter - then it is unlikely to work. Better return it and get money back when you can.

Only my thoughts having bought 3 cheap ones before giving up. The home one (ebac) works better, but again won’t work when it gets really cold.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I used one in my old self build with a low wattage tube heater, worked fantastic.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
As a comparison stick it outside your back door and see how much moisture you collect!
I'll bet it's the same if not more ,in which case it's damper outside than it is in your Mh .This will explain why dealers up and down the country of motorhomes, cars and vans don't bother to heat then dehumidify them. Once drained down they will survive fear not.
If It makes you feel better and you've loads of cash heat,your Mh ,de- humidify, leave the satellite on run the fridge and light the cooker twice a week.Then when spring comes and something won't work at least you'll know it wasn't the damp!:whistle2:

Vlad

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I've always used the absorbing crystals bought in bulk and used in an old plastic Chinese take away container. It seems to work without using power. It may not be necessary, but it makes me feel better!

Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
Someone at our campsite told us they have put a tray of salt in their van overwinter every year and it works very well. I bought £3 worth of salt and put in in the van. Lets see what it looks like when we get in after the winter.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Checked the van yesterday humidity at 70% left de humidifier on till this afternoon, now reads 45% which is a bit too dry!

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
That type of dehumidifier is probably better used when the M/H is occupied, ie internal temperature above 15C, rather than when it's unoccupied and below 15C, for most of the time. I say most of the time because I don't think you can completely stop solar gain. There's, also, more need for a dehumidifier when you're in the van creating water vapour than when the van's empty, so long as you start with it reasonably dry. I bought a similar one a few years ago to keep the van screen clear overnight. Changed to using an external thermal cover, which operates for nothing.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
This one is half full after about a week working really well
It will be: as its trying to dehumidify Nottinghamshire,that is unless you have it sitting in a 100% air tight space, then it will reduce the water vapour content of the air, that is until you open the door when the water vapour pressure will immediately balance with the ambient.

citroen sm

Free Member
Nov 28, 2014
Durham
Funster No
MH
Iveco bus conversion
Exp
had one 14 yrs ago. Just got another recently
For cold temps you need a desiccant dehumidifier. I have one in my cold house in the winter and it works brilliantly. Keeps everything dry and provides back ground heat.

When I open the door to go out everything doesn't become "immediately" damp again. Is it different in motor homes for some reason?

LG.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back