DC power in habitation area whilst engine running (1 Viewer)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi folks. I have only had my van for 12 years and I have now just discovered that the 12v supply to lights and sockets in the back of the van are disconnected when the engine is running!! I was trying to set up a rear view wireless camera and it needs a 12v supply. I know that this can be obtained from a connection with the reversing lights but I was trying to get a constant picture. Firstly, is that feasible, has anyone else done it?. Secondly, is there a way of getting around the isolation of the 12v habitation supply, and again, is that safe to do?. I realise I can take a separate 12v cable from habitation battery direct to camera but it seems to contradict the advantages of the wireless camera.
Thanks, in anticipation.
Pete.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I think it is a requirement of UK motorhomes that supply is removed whilst driving. Connect your camera to a feed from the vehicle battery that is live whilst driving and shut off when stopped.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I think it is a requirement of UK motorhomes that supply is removed whilst driving. Connect your camera to a feed from the vehicle battery that is live whilst driving and shut off when stopped.

Thanks. I don't seem to have a constant live supply at the rear of the van. Surly they all liven up only when lights / Indicators etc are in use?

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Alas there is not a live to the rear which is why I chose to use a wired system, also you can get a lot of interference on a wireless system

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think it is a requirement of UK motorhomes that supply is removed whilst driving.

It is not a legal requirement, it's a daft idea dreamt up by the UK manufacturers association. It is laughed at by all continental manufacturers and their clients.

It's very easy to fix once you know where the relay is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
It is not a legal requirement, it's a daft idea dreamt up by the UK manufacturers association. It is laughed at by all continental manufacturers and their clients.

It's very easy to fix once you know where the relay is.

Great! Give us a clue!! Under the bonnet or in the back of the van?

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
That is why I did not understand the problem. I wonder if it isolates the electric toilet flush, now that could prove a real problem in my household when driving. Ooops! I didn't men to say that.
Alan

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Just a thought your fridge has a 12v feed that can be reached through the vent if that make it easier

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I've no idea, I don't even know what van you have. I've got a German van, none of this nonsense.

So what is your van, someone may know.

Good point! 2000 Swift Gazelle on a Fiat Ducatto base. Anyone any ideas?
Thanks to all for replies.
Pete

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Just a thought your fridge has a 12v feed that can be reached through the vent if that make it easier

That's a possibility, thanks.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Pete, perhaps make aand model of your MH would help a few on here that might have done this sort of thing to theirs.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Good point! 2000 Swift Gazelle on a Fiat Ducatto base. Anyone any ideas?
Thanks to all for replies.
Pete

I'm sure it's been posted before try some searching if you don't get a reply. As far as I know it's only finding one wire to a relay and cutting it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've considered wiring our rear camera into the rear lights before but it means having them on all the time which isn't ideal as they draw some of the power that the alternator is producing, rather than it going just to top up the batteries (although the power lost may be minimal). So instead for all our MHs/PVCs, as we had to run a cable for the camera to the front anyway, we just ran a 12v power cable alongside it then the feed for the camera and the monitor (we have one that goes over the existing rear-view mirror) were spliced together and a 12v plug put on the end which we just stick into the 12v socket in the cab - the advantage of this is that you never forget to turn the camera off as our cab sockets go off when the ignition is turned off, an alternative though would be to wire direct to the ignition but unless you know what you're doing leave the vehicle electrics alone.

It means that if we want to move the camera and monitor to another camper (as we have 3 times now) it leaves no trace on the previous vehicle other than the 2 small holes where the camera was mounted (although cameras are so cheap nowadays it could be left on).

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I'm sure it's been posted before try some searching if you don't get a reply. As far as I know it's only finding one wire to a relay and cutting it.

Thanks Brian. I did have a go at searching before my OP. Case of getting the wording right though. Will give it another go.
Pete

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
@Old Soldier I have a wireless camera system and I wired the camera/transmitter circuit to my rear side light circuit as it is also my preference to always drive with side lights on. I 'upgraded' my sidelights to LED bulbs so no major battery drain either.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
@Old Soldier I have a wireless camera system and I wired the camera/transmitter circuit to my rear side light circuit as it is also my preference to always drive with side lights on. I 'upgraded' my sidelights to LED bulbs so no major battery drain either.

That's not a bad idea Chris, I tend to run with side or dipped headlights most of the time.
Cheers.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have got this , can't believe you have had it twelve years and only just found out, I found it first day out when i thought it had gone wrong, you only have to have the ignition on not the engine running, but is your battery near the rear of your van , if so why not just take a lead from that, we have some fag lighter plugs connected to ours so that we can charge things with the leisure battery while moving, fused of coarse before someone picks me up on it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Oh by the way there is supposed to be a wire that runs in the door post that you cut and it fixes it but I have never got round to finding it.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I have got this , can't believe you have had it twelve years and only just found out, I found it first day out when i thought it had gone wrong, you only have to have the ignition on not the engine running, but is your battery near the rear of your van , if so why not just take a lead from that, we have some fag lighter plugs connected to ours so that we can charge things with the leisure battery while moving, fused of coarse before someone picks me up on it.

I suspect I did find it out many years ago and have forgotten it! If the battery was at the rear I would not be asking for advice. Anyway, some useful tips coming in so thanks to all.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Pete, I would run a fused cable from front (vehicle) fuse box to rear of MH and make a socket somewhere in a cupboard and then feed camera from there. Not as hard as it sounds.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Great! Give us a clue!! Under the bonnet or in the back of the van?
Usually close to the charger or control panel.
It wont be marked as to function so trial and error by bypassing.
Engine running, Disconnect wires from posts 86 and 87 on the relay then join together....
If the hab is then powered you got the correct relay, if not try a different on.
Providing you join 86 and 87 you cant do any damage even if it is the wrong one.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Off for a pint and Sunday lunch now. Will check back later. Thanks all.

MyDogsTooBig

Free Member
Nov 19, 2015
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Inbetween
Exp
Since 2010
The no power in the back whilst engine running may be a because of a legal issue, rather than it is a legal reason. Not very well put I know, but it may probably be to do with not allowing any TV display or such like, to be operated whilst the vehicle is in motion. It is a legal requirement and normally, vehicles purchased with a TV fitted, will be disconnected upon ignition on. Perhaps, being old, the British just decided to cut the lot off for ease. It's all about driver distraction. A bit crazy, because My Dogs Too Big and that is a heck of a distraction. Wish I had a switch for that one. As a side issue... Wireless cameras are a good invention, but because they need power, you might as well just fit a regular one and run the cable to the front along the chassis. If you have to find a power source for it, you might as well take the video cable along too. I think they are primarily intended for disconnect-able vehicles, like trailers and caravans. Just my thoughts mind you.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Err no.

What about the TV screens in the back of headrests in cars?

No power in the back is a stupid NCC requirement.

MyDogsTooBig

Free Member
Nov 19, 2015
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Inbetween
Exp
Since 2010
The driver, unless of giraffe making cannot usually see headrest monitors, but you tend not to get them in motorhomes. That is what the OP was referring to, unless I got it wrong. The driver, via his interior mirror can probably see a motorhome TV when in operation. It's not just NCC, if anyone else can watch a DVD whilst driving a EU vehicle, with a factory radio fitted unit fitted (not aftermarket of course), then I am hopelessly wrong.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Do you have a towball if so there may be a permanent 12v there if not I would go for the sidelight and drive with them on (ours are on all the time anyway as daytime running lights)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Motorhomes made in Europe are able to have their TVS, along with all other electrics, switched on whilst in motion
There is no EU directive.

Brit vans don't purely because of the NCC'S silly rule. Which was probably thought of before TVS, or electricity, was invented!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back