DC power for tv (1 Viewer)

Jonybakery

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Hey everybody,

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my posts, its helped me out no end.

Another question! I've just bought a 12 volt tv which came with a cig adapter. I don't want to have the engine running when watching tv but would like to run it from the leisure battery. In the kitchen area there seems to be a DC socket (would take a 3 pin plug I think). Is it possible to get a plug on the tv lead instead of the cig adapter? If so where can you get them?

Cheers
Jon

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Or an adapter like Link Removed or Link Removed. Depends which type of socket you have.

Your local caravan shop will probably have them as well as eBay. They are normally on sale at shows as well.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

Jonybakery

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Hi guys,

This is the socket I am talking about in my van

Link Removed

I can't find any DC sockets which take the two rectangle pins like you pointed out

Jon

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
That looks like a european type, what van is it ??

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
that socket in your m/h is a standard german schuko 240 volt one !

haven't you got any that look like a thinner cigar lighter fitment?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
personal choice but i use one of these gadgets.

12v stabilised power supply for LCD TV's.

running on 12v when on hookup can produce up to 14v and LCD TV's don't like higher voltages than 12v unless they are specific, made for motorhome tv's....Avtex etc

12v stabiliser

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hi guys,

This is the socket I am talking about in my van

Link Removed

I can't find any DC sockets which take the two rectangle pins like you pointed out

Jon

That definitely is a 240v supply, if you already have the cig lighter type of plug on the T.V. why don`t you just put a 12v supply to a cig lighter socket and then you can charge your phone and anything else that uses the standard 12v socket.

Saves having to buy sockets and plugs.

OP
OP
J

Jonybakery

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
I had a feeling it wasn't a DC output but the previous owner convinced me it was! I haven't found sockets yet but will keep trying.

In one of the cupboards an inverter is wired to the battery so I might remove the inverter and attach a cig adapter instead!

Cheers
Jon

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Although it seems to be a mains socket I think it is worth a check with a multimeter to see what, if anything, is available there. Especially as the previous owner said it was 12 volts, he may have rewired it to the battery. Better safe than sorry.

Phil.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Although it seems to be a mains socket I think it is worth a check with a multimeter to see what, if anything, is available there. Especially as the previous owner said it was 12 volts, he may have rewired it to the battery. Better safe than sorry.

Phil.

was thinking the very same thing phil.

if it has been converted i'd change it for a proper 12v socket then anything 12v can be plugged in.

OP
OP
J

Jonybakery

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
That definitely is a 240v supply, if you already have the cig lighter type of plug on the T.V. why don`t you just put a 12v supply to a cig lighter socket and then you can charge your phone and anything else that uses the standard 12v socket.

Saves having to buy sockets and plugs.

That's a great idea. Is it easy to do? My Cig lighter works when the engine is off and the previous owner installed a 4 cig adaptor, could this mean that it has already has a 12v supply?

Thanks

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's a great idea. Is it easy to do? My Cig lighter works when the engine is off and the previous owner installed a 4 cig adaptor, could this mean that it has already has a 12v supply?

Thanks

Depends which socket(s) you mean.

If it is the one built into the dash/console then it is likely to be running off the vehicle battery.

If the 4 cig adapter is installed in the living area and not plugged into the dash socket then it could well be wired from the leisure battery - you might be able to trace the wiring back.

Your TV should be run from the leisure battery, not the vehicle battery.

Graham

OP
OP
J

Jonybakery

Free Member
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
The 4 cig adaptor plugs into the dashboard cig socket. The cig socket on the dashboard still works with the engine on. Damn I wish i knew more about this!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why remove the inverter just take spur for the 12v line and add a fused line to a socket.

My thoughts too ... why remove the inverter when it may be needed for other things. Much better to leave it as it is and install a 12v outlet as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back