Dazzlin Renovations/van rescue (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Quick update....
Opened up the fresh water tank, after cleaning silicone from the lid and using 2 handmade clamp/lever type things to turn the lid! Drained and cleaned, inside n out, then walked away, had enough of the kitchen!

Fit 4 new led spots after trimming wires, adding new joint blocks, patching holes bigger than the new fittings etc etc.

Rigged up the tilting brackets for the solar panels, dried the roof, stuck em on. Made up a couple of leads with the MC4 plugs. Wired the solar controller to the batteries.
Finish wiring tomorrow and fit last roof light if it is dry...

Pics to follow. ?

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
And the fluffy dice? :unsure:

I was thinking more the Moroccan tasseled bunting round the front windows...

Screenshot_20191128_080454.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Another day, or two, digging deeper, finding more fun things to do!
For those that know Hymers, and some other marques, they have stickers near the door proudly announcing the services they offer, ie hot n cold water, wc, cooker etc.
Like this

View attachment 347984

This is mine

View attachment 347985

The point I am making is that my stickers are still in better condition than the actual facilities!

When I came in from the cold today it looked like this...

Kitchen, with fresh water tank in the bottom.
View attachment 347986

Boiler in bottom of wardrobe
View attachment 347988

BathroomView attachment 347987

'Living area' View attachment 347989

Started looking at the kitchen yesterday, water pump is not working, can't understand why?
View attachment 347990

It had also been annoying me that I don't think the fresh water tank emptied.
There is a boiler drain and a grey T lever under the sofa, but when I tracked the grey hose back it was not connected! The only way to drain is by tap and nowt's connected..... To add to that, the big lid on the top has been siliconed to hell and won't open without a lot of time spent on it, which is another job.
I think it had a submerged pump originally but someone has fit a Shurflo pump. The takeoff is at the bottom of the tank, on the outside, which I think may have been the drain off?
I reckon if I can T into that and relocate the original drop valve, job's a good un.....

It looks nice now you’ve finished everything. A good job well done.
Do you have plans for the exterior?

??

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Solar now charging.
Finished the wiring this morning and hit the super-electrificationism of 0.3amp charge at midday on the wrong side of the house..... Anyway it went from 12.4 to 12.6v so that'll do!
Wasn't even worth tilting them!

IMG_20191128_113638.jpg

IMG_20191128_113406.jpg

Then went to fit the bathroom rooflight.

I purchased 2 fiamma ones a couple of weeks ago. Fit the clear kitchen one. All ok.
Opened the white one today, it's bloody white ok, not even semi see-through!

Screenshot_20191128_171032_com.android.chrome.jpg

Now packed up to return and I have ordered a 50x50 clear (at great expense) , so will enlarge the 40x40 hole and cut a bit of rot out with it.

Slowly does it......

Jul 17, 2017
Ardrossan
Funster No
MH
Burstner Brevio T646
Exp
Nov 2016
I tried selling a 2019 leisure battery in classified ads that didn't sell. Looking at all the work you have done it's yours free of charge if you have the means to collect it. You've really got your work cut out so, if you track my add it's got the details, yours if you want/need it. I'm in Ayrshire Ardrossan to be precise. Good luck with the motorhome been enjoying watching it come back to life.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Solar now charging.
Finished the wiring this morning and hit the super-electrificationism of 0.3amp charge at midday on the wrong side of the house..... Anyway it went from 12.4 to 12.6v so that'll do!
Wasn't even worth tilting them!

View attachment 348860

View attachment 348862

Then went to fit the bathroom rooflight.

I purchased 2 fiamma ones a couple of weeks ago. Fit the clear kitchen one. All ok.
Opened the white one today, it's bloody white ok, not even semi see-through!

View attachment 348859

Now packed up to return and I have ordered a 50x50 clear (at great expense) , so will enlarge the 40x40 hole and cut a bit of rot out with it.

Slowly does it......
I see it was a Cornish van at one time what with the sticker on the back....??

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
I tried selling a 2019 leisure battery in classified ads that didn't sell. Looking at all the work you have done it's yours free of charge if you have the means to collect it. You've really got your work cut out so, if you track my add it's got the details, yours if you want/need it. I'm in Ayrshire Ardrossan to be precise. Good luck with the motorhome been enjoying watching it come back to life.

Many thanks for the offer but I have a pair of 6v Trojans. I was originally looking at a couple of Vartas but they wouldn't fit in the battery box.

Only rated at 2800 at the mo so no spare payload, hope it's lighter when dried out..... ☀️

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
I see it was a Cornish van at one time what with the sticker on the back....??

Yes. Picked it up from near Bournemouth, spent most of its time down that way.

Look forward to going further south though...

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Today I finally started going forward...

Cut the worktop to fit. We (Lynne) has picked a grey spotty type top, just a standard 30mm chipboard kitchen Worktop. I did the calculations and it is actually lighter than the original after being trimmed lengthways and on the depth, then minus the cutouts, and a quarter of the cost of a Motorhome specific top.

Anyway, we have a sink, plain as they come, and a corner 3 burner hob.

On looking at the destructions for the hob cut-out I thought 'what the bloody hell'?

Long story short, it is in, snug fit, sink n hob fixed to top but neither plumbed.

Looking better.

IMG_20191129_175305.jpg
IMG_20191129_140534.jpg
IMG_20191129_172135.jpg

?

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Been and ordered some plastic for the ceiling and bathroom walls. Shower tray and taps etc arrived today.

Removed all the doors, de-hinged, de-handled, de-sticky padded them all.
Left Lynne to the sanding and painting.
Before, and after 1 coat....
IMG_20191203_120516.jpg
IMG_20191203_132846.jpg

Painting in the guest bedroom, trying not to take over,

I connected the gas to the hob, no leaks! Also fitted the kitchen tap (fun, 30mm worktop and 30mm tap thread....) but not plumbed up yet, waste half fitted but messing about trying to join old to new and bending the unbendable, etc.

IMG_20191203_130321.jpg

Saving grace was light (or lack of it) stopped play.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Also fitted the kitchen tap (fun, 30mm worktop and 30mm tap thread....) but not plumbed up yet, waste half fitted but messing about trying to join old to new and bending the unbendable, etc.
You'll need to reduce the thickness of the worktop to be able to get the nut on the tap base to hold it in place - assuming you have a large hole saw then use that to cut down to about half the depth (ie 15mm) then carefully chisel out the excess so you have a 15mm worktop left ... of course you do this UNDERNEATH and not on top! :xrofl:

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
You'll need to reduce the thickness of the worktop to be able to get the nut on the tap base to hold it in place - assuming you have a large hole saw then use that to cut down to about half the depth (ie 15mm) then carefully chisel out the excess so you have a 15mm worktop left ... of course you do this UNDERNEATH and not on top! :xrofl:

Done that ta.
Just wanted some sympathy 'cos it's never easy. Happy all the gas was ok, then been sulking umpteen times as nowt went right after that.

At least we're starting to see light at the end of the tunnel now...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Done that ta.
Just wanted some sympathy 'cos it's never easy. Happy all the gas was ok, then been sulking umpteen times as nowt went right after that.

At least we're starting to see light at the end of the tunnel now...
Just don't strike a match to light it until the gas has been checked for leaks ... :xgrin:

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Looking at curtains, lino n sticky-back-plastic-kitchen-splashback tomoz. A semi day off.
Also got to trim-to-fit new double sponge for the big bed. Carving knife or scissors? I am not doing a hot wire as it will be hidden...

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Your choice of colour for the work top was taken from the sky above you:xeek: if its any consolation it's terrible in La Marina.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Looking at curtains, lino n sticky-back-plastic-kitchen-splashback tomoz. A semi day off.
Also got to trim-to-fit new double sponge for the big bed. Carving knife or scissors? I am not doing a hot wire as it will be hidden...
A ham knife is best, it's a long straight bladed knife without serrations. Scissors make a right mess so don't bother with them ... one tip, if you can squish the sponge as flat as possible you can get away with a shorter bladed knife and hopefully get a straighter cut.

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Your choice of colour for the work top was taken from the sky above you:xeek: if its any consolation it's terrible in La Marina.

Might be grey there at home but I bet it's above freezing.... ⛄

On my weather app the highest temp here in Scotland never gets close to the lowest temp there in la la land ?

Looking forward to coming home in the summer, might just leave Lynne here.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My favoured weapon is an electric carving knife if I have not got access to a band saw

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
The tilt mechanism for the solar panels are they from old double glazed windows or readily available?
Ps you are working much quicker than i can think nowadays. Well done , youll soon be on the road and gone before i eat my second breakfast.

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
The tilt mechanism for the solar panels are they from old double glazed windows or readily available?
Ps you are working much quicker than i can think nowadays. Well done , youll soon be on the road and gone before i eat my second breakfast.

Screwfix for the brackets, and yes they are double glazing ones. Used them on the last van, and you can set the friction screw so they stay up. Easy up easy down...
I riveted the angle ali bracketson the last van, screwed these for now with self tappers, rivet gun is in Spain!

Makes it worth having solar in winter and it's easier to clean the roof...

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years

Dip the knife into water, seems to make it glide better.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Stanley knife every time mate! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back