Daytime use for fixed bed area? (1 Viewer)

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
45 years ago just married we lived in an old caravan with a drop down bed like you are talking about, it had a shelf that became the support ,it was very good with a lovely mattress, the caravan also had an enamel solid fuel stove with a chrome water boiler surrounding the flue which heated the water, it was an easy van to live in, i cant understand why that design is not used today ,altho i do see them in american sitcoms,in apartments, great idea in a studio flat or mobile home :)
ps hope the knee heels quickly šŸ¤—
Wasn't a Bluebird caravan was it? I had one in 1968 with that spec.

Reactions: 68c
Sep 12, 2021
Cirencester, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Oh, I often wondered why some folk post threads at three in the morning. I understand now as I am typing this while lying in hospital having had a total knee replacement yesterday so not sleeping so well.
Canā€™t help with the bed design but I had a total knee replacement 14 months ago and had the opposite problem to you - for weeks afterwards I just wanted to sleep. Take all the pain meds they offer you and do your exercises religiously! Best of luck.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We each have our very own double beds, he has the front drop down over the cab seats and I have the rear fixed transverse double, works a treat for us and no trying to climb over the mountain that is the other half if you need to go to the loo! We use the fixed bed as an additional lounging/slobbing-out area so it isn't wasted.
We do exactly the same. My wife needs her own bed (spinal problems which mean she needs lots of room and has the head of the bed raised at a considerable angle). Her bed becomes an unintentional rest and play area for our three dogs when otherwise not in use. On the subject of a decent sized lounge area: that was one of our requirements (dogs again!) meaning that we went from a 6M Hymer to our current 8M behometh. It does however have a very large lounge and, for the first time ever, a domestic-sized shower. So size does have advantages. šŸ˜Š

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2020
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SC
Exp
Since 2019
We have a drop down bed and i am relegated to the front side so have to climb over wife to get in. Strangely, approaching seventy, that does not exite me as much as in my twenties. Considering a fixed bed design with easy access each side. However that does seem to create a space that will not get used in the daytime, neither of us are big afternoon nappers.
Are there any ways the area could be put to better use? I have seen middle drop down beds but they then present the same problem of climbing over to get to the toilet. Is there a model that has the whole bed tilting up, as in some small bedsits.
So any bright ideas out there for use of the space?

Oh, I often wondered why some folk post threads at three in the morning. I understand now as I am typing this while lying in hospital having had a total knee replacement yesterday so not sleeping so well.
We have an island bed, access both sides and selected the layout partly because we didnā€™t want to climb over each other, but also because we usually go to bed and get up at different times. It pushes back, the head end will rise, but really only to give a bit more room to get past during the day. The knee will improve, do as youā€™re told, and donā€™t skimp on the physio which will make it strong. 2 years since mine.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Aug 17, 2021
Cambridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner TL680G
Exp
Since 2019 but before in Australia and NZ. Not used it yet in Europe. Previous keen caravanner.
Perhaps have a look at a Burstner Ixeo 680TL. A lengthways drop down bed comes down to rest only just above the seats. The person on the left only needs to avoid the feet of the person on the right to get out in the night and I always manage this OK

SALANDDEL

Free Member
Sep 17, 2021
AlmerĆ­a, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I remember staying in a caravan with my parents, so many years ago, that had a drop down bed. Brings back memories of trying to put it back up with my brother still in it. šŸ˜…
Ahhh the old days, gas lighting in a caravan & my wife at the time nearly blowing us up by turning the gas on then looking for matches to light it. We had to apologise for the scorch marks. šŸ¤£

Squeak

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have a drop down bed and i am relegated to the front side so have to climb over wife to get in. Strangely, approaching seventy, that does not exite me as much as in my twenties. Considering a fixed bed design with easy access each side. However that does seem to create a space that will not get used in the daytime, neither of us are big afternoon nappers.
Are there any ways the area could be put to better use? I have seen middle drop down beds but they then present the same problem of climbing over to get to the toilet. Is there a model that has the whole bed tilting up, as in some small bedsits.
So any bright ideas out there for use of the space?

Ours french bed gets used as a glorified dog bed...lol

ChrisMal51

Free Member
Oct 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Saltire
We have a swift 614 saltire (escape dealer special). We have been wondering if the drop down mech can be 'upgraded' with a lower drop down than current but can't find anything online. Anyone else done this? Thanks in advance!

ChrisMal51

Free Member
Oct 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Saltire
Hi everyone! We have a swift 614 saltire (escape dealer special). We have been wondering if the drop down mech can be 'upgraded' with a lower drop down than current but can't find anything online. Anyone else done this? Thanks in advance!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back