Day Running Lights. (1 Viewer)

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I greatly respect the job done by our heavy goods vehicle drivers and always treat them with consideration. I assist the drivers of large and articulated vehicles who want to pass me, and always 'flash' them when it is safe for them to pull in.
Since we bought our new motorhome there have been several ocassions where passing trucks have pulled in far too early, before I have flashed them in, and sometimes causing me to brake or decelerate.
The problem seems to be that our new motorhome has day running lights. They are large, circular, and emit a very bright light. I think that some truckers check their mirrors as they pass and, seeing the bright white light think that I have flashed my headlights.
As the use of day running lights is not mandatory in this country, and my Mercedes offers the option to disable the feature, that is what I have done.
I would be interested to know if anybody else has had this experience.
Stef.
Removed
I don't like lorries
Simples

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our chausson uses the dipped beam as DRLs so they are on all the time the engine runs can't sat I've noticed other drivers behaving any different but then we drive fairly quickly so don't get overtaken by HGVs

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Just to point out before anyone is stopped by Mr Plod for doing so...but it is now illegal to flash anyone for whatever reason whilst driving....

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
I fitted a set of DRL's to my 02 plate Ford Galaxy, made by Ring, got them from Halfords.

Came with 3 wires, red, black and yellow.

First two wires are obvious, you can wire them to a switch or do like I did and use one of those capacitors that detects the voltage spike on startup which is connected to the battery, it uses the voltage spike and drop to switch them on and off.

The yellow wire goes to the positive of the side light circuit so when it starts getting dark and side lights are required, the DRL'S detect the lights on and automatically dim so as not to dazzle on comming traffic.

I must admit I feel safer in the day as more cars seem to notice you as i dont seem to get cut up as often...

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I seem to remember a moped rider being killed whilst riding with his headlight on, and a truck went passed saw the light and pulled over squashing the bike and rider as he thought he was being flashed, and clear to come in, but the trailer was still going passed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I seem to remember a moped rider being killed whilst riding with his headlight on, and a truck went passed saw the light and pulled over squashing the bike and rider as he thought he was being flashed, and clear to come in, but the trailer was still going passed.

a good argument to ban them altogether .............would get my vote

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hi. Where and when did it become illegal in this country please?. Just found this link.
http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/flashing-headlights.html

Thanks.

I have just trolled the internet and can`t find a definitive answer to your question or me saying it is illegal to flash your headlights.

I have however found that it is frowned upon and discouraged as a way of communicating with others drivers on the basis that they then act upon you telling them it`s safe to do i.e.. make a turn, pull out or indeed to indicate to a passing articulated truck that it is safe to pull in.

I can tell you that a friend of mine was actually prosecuted for flashing a car to come out of a side road thinking it was safe to do so and as the car pulled out it collided with an ambulance answering an emergency call out.

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
My old driving instructor always told me never flash your full beam to beckon or signal another driver on.... but to use a hand gesture / signal instead, as a flash of the lights could simply mean you've dropped your coffee in your lap and you've knocked the indicator / light stalk :)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
My old driving instructor always told me never flash your full beam to beckon or signal another driver on.... but to use a hand gesture / signal instead, as a flash of the lights could simply mean you've dropped your coffee in your lap and you've knocked the indicator / light stalk :)

Agreed. As an old driving instructor and examiner for the forces I can tell you that the flashing of headlights should only be used to show you are there and not as a signal to carry out any action. Indeed, I use to teach that you should never use hand gestures either. The other driver must make their own decision. Having said that, we all do it from time to time, but only when it is safe and the signalled instruction is obvious.:happy:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The dimming relay gets its signal from the headlight
Not on mine they don't. They dim as soon as the sidelights are turned on - might as well be extra sidelights when they're doing nothing else. Incidentally I totally disagree with the use of headlights in built up areas. All they do is draw attention away from poorly lit objects like cyclists and pedestrians. Out of town yes but in well lit streets the modern trend that has every vehicle ablaze with light doesn't help safety at all. Quite the opposite. (IMO ☺).

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I disagree. It is NOT ok to drive on 'side lights'/'parking lights' in a 30 mph zone. That's when more people are around, and vehicles need to stand out.
I think it is despicable to drive on 'side lights'/'parking lights' at anytime! It should be made illegal, or impossible!
If it is dark and/or poor visibility, headlights should be used. You will not get an electricity bill for using headlights.
I am often dumfounded at the amount of so called professional drivers, and for that matter, learner drivers that drive in bad weather on 'side lights'.
You have to reach for the damned switch, so why not put on the headlights!
You have the answer, you can not drive yours on 'parking lights'. All vehicles should be like that.
Sorry for the rant, but this is one of my pet hates.

Craig
Disagree or not, the law states you don't need to use headlights, dimmed or otherwise, in a well lit 30mph zone and you can drive on sidelights.
While I do agree with you( as I said in my post) that driving at night on sidelights anywhere can be dangerous, it is not illegal in the case above and many people do this.
People also drive with no lights or sidelights in fog, rain and snow or with fog lights on during the day.
Some people are just stupid.
In my van, I can't, it's headlights or forward facing DRL's. My car has automatic headlights.
Allan

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Disagree or not, the law states you don't need to use headlights, dimmed or otherwise, in a well lit 30mph zone and you can drive on sidelights.
While I do agree with you( as I said in my post) that driving at night on sidelights anywhere can be dangerous, it is not illegal in the case above and many people do this.
People also drive with no lights or sidelights in fog, rain and snow or with fog lights on during the day.
Some people are just stupid.
In my van, I can't, it's headlights or forward facing DRL's. My car has automatic headlights.
Allan
Yes, I know what the law states, but, I cannot get to grips with stupid drivers who reach for the switch, and only use 'side lights/parking lights' in dull conditions.
If you need lights on, then it should be main lights on! And some of the worst offenders are truckers! Bad driving in my book.

Craig

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Personally I think the law should be reviewed over vehicle lighting. There are different types that give off differing lighting values as viewed from in front as well as at the rear. I believe it's time that side lights were done away with except when the vehicle is not in motion. Side lights, when mixed in with headlights are very difficult to see and many could be mistaken for cycle lights. It's all very well saying they are ok in well lit areas but the times I have seen people driving on side lights at twilight elsewhere. As for driving without lighting in inclement weather...don't start me on another one!! Oh, and forgot to mention missuse of high intensity fog lights!!!!! :frowny:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The German's have the right law for driving on lights. It is simply illegal to drive on sidelights, they can only be used when the vehicle is stationary when they become in effect parking lights. Our law is crazy for allowing folk to choose, because in a row of cars with their headlights on the one with sidelights becomes virtually invisible against the glare of the headlights. Make everyone drive on sidelights or make them all drive on headlights - but don't allow a mix.

Headlights also warn of the approach of a vehicle. For example, here in Devon we have lots of narrow twisty roads. At dusk a car with headlights will cast a pool of light in front of it and illuminate the hedges. A car with sidelights can't be seen until you go round the corner. Which is of course no different to what happens in daylight - but why ignore the added safety factor of announcing your arrival? Same applies in built up areas - my teeth start grinding when I see cars creeping around the streets in stealth mode.

Blood pressure returning to normal now!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I wonder if those stupid enough to drive on sidelights keep their dipped beams off for fear of wearing out the dipped beam bulbs, or think they are saving battery power. I wouldn't be surprised.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think there should be a minimum and maximum allowed light level to the front of the vehicle. I've lost count of the amount of times I have been dazzled by motorists behind me using HID lights or badly adjusted lights. The problem is that they can adjust them, so always have them set on the highest setting no matter how many people are in the car.
Peugeot cars seem to have the worst adjusted headlights.
My view is that...
Adjustable headlights should be either automatic or banned. I drove perfectly safely for years before anyone invented them and never though "it would be handy to have adjustable headlights....)
Side lights should only be for parking.
Headlights or DRL's should come on as soon as you start the vehicle.
DRL's should turn off as soon as headlights are turned on.
Indicators should be a fixed minimum distance away from other lights.
Fog lamp switches should have an electric current passing through them till visibility drops to below 50 metres
I'm sure I'll think of more.....

Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back