Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
And smokies in Arbroath !
Back in the day my great uncle was a train driver and used to haul the overnight fish train from Aberdeen with the freight destined for the old Billingsgate Market in London. Think it went into the goods yards at Fenchurch Street Station(?). It had a scheduled stop at Arbroath (for the smokies and kippers) and always seemed to have to slow down to an almost halt at Dundee where a couple of boxes always seemed to fall off! Allegedly, it had nothing to do with that's where his and his fireman's families resided! :whistle2: Always used to love visiting my great auntie. Wonder why?:whistle2::unsure:

Luckily they never got found out (or a blind eye was turned!) as they also, on occasions hauled The Queen's train when she was going to \ from Balmoral!

I believe it was Pacific A3 class locomotives that were used for the train, the same as The Flying Scotsman, but don't know if he actually drove that one at any time.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Smokies are without doubt one of the delicacies of the North East. And sorry to be pedantic but in Scotland it's whisky not whiskey.
Thatā€™s not being pedantic, they are different things. I do like both but always prefer Whisky. šŸ„ƒšŸ„ƒšŸ„ƒ

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Weā€™re heading up the East coast for a few days next week, weā€™re visiting Forfar and Stonehaven. Not been up that way for years and I mean years so looking forward to it.
Dunnotar Castle re-opens on the 26th, maybe a few days to late for your time in Stonehaven.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
kernewek Hows the dogs doing? Did the pup settle in well?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Frank went over the rainbow bridge a couple of years ago - but close to his 12th birthday. Dweezil is the most awesome dog you could ever wish for. :h:
Thought you got a puppy after Frank?

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I'm guessing you remembered to leave the handbrake OFF and in first gear during storage. Setting off after that length of time would surely have been a bit of a bugger otherwise.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
There is a massive car park at east sands round by the old course no overnight, you can park from sunrise
Till sunset. 10 min walk to town.
Billy I had lived in Dundee for many years and visited St. Andrews lots of times but I had forgotten all about that car park. St. Andrews is good for a day out but there's often a cold wind off the water even on the nicest of days.

Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
Billy I had lived in Dundee for many years and visited St. Andrews lots of times but I had forgotten all about that car park. St. Andrews is good for a day out but there's often a cold wind off the water even on the nicest of days.
Yes. But it soon disappears once you get to the Criterion or the keys.šŸ˜€šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁓ó æšŸŗ

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Because of the shielding group I am in I am still asked to stay local (ie 5 miles from home) until 4 weeks after my second jag due 13 May.

Martin gets his second jag this afternoon ..... I was hopinh mine would be brought forward but no such luck.

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
Ha, Ha, Ha,::bigsmile: you reminded me of a story Jopparocks. Arrived for a day out in St Andrews, ourselves and another couple. It was early February. We thought ourselves suitably attired for the weather - warm coats etc. The day was bright day but cool. Within 30 mins of arrival we had all bought a scarf each; two pairs of gloves and two thermal hats for the ladies (and Mrs Dram usually NEVER wears a winter hat). It was absolutely Baltic:cold:. So please note folks - cold wind - that can be a bit of an understatement šŸ˜®,.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Always stop at the Criterion when we go to St Andrews. Bacon roll & a coffee, or a Cri pie if going nearer lunchtime. That's before starting on their Gin selection.
The staff are really good if you are visiting with the dog, always make a fuss of them.
At least we will be able to visit soon, once The Fish lets us loose.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Because of the shielding group I am in I am still asked to stay local (ie 5 miles from home) until 4 weeks after my second jag due 13 May.

Martin gets his second jag this afternoon ..... I was hopinh mine would be brought forward but no such luck.
Sorry to hear that but it also makes no sense at all ... unless you were planning going clubbing. Why do they assume that you take greater risks 5 miles from home?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think it could also be that because I have been pretty much confined to the house for a year my already rubbish immune system isn't protecting me against anything much - it's like it has forgotten some of the common stuff or the common stuff has mutated enough not to be recognised. . I know I have had a few community bugs since getting out and about a bit more so maybe I / they want to try to limit the number of infectious agents I am exposed to just in case my system become overwhelmed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back