Data use with VPN (1 Viewer)

Jan 16, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
Since 2016
Can anybody tell me whether, once I am connected to iplayer via a VPN, I am using my sim data or the VPN data to download?

Many thanks.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Not sure about the meaning of the question But regardless you are using data on the devise you are connected with. If you imagine a triagle with points A B &C. And you are at Pint A and want to get music from Point C it doesn't matter if you go direct A to C or from A to B then to C your data usage will be the same.

The difference is that if you go A to C then C will know that A has the music, however if you go A to B then to C. C will then think that B has the music and have no knowledge of A

In either case you will be using data on the phone (if it is a phone that has the SIM card)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I apologise if this post is information already known by you readers but just in case it helps someone...

A Simplified Explanation.

VPN.

A Virtual Private Network is a clever bit of software which you load onto your device.

There are hundreds and hundreds to choose from... some you pay for but many are free.

When you connect to the internet, you can go through your VPN and then choose which country you wish to appear to be in.

So... if you wanted to listen to a Radio Five Live football commentary whilst you were in France and you didn't use a VPN, the BBC would notice you were in France and would block you, because their licence agreement with the footy bods doesn't allow them to broadcast over the internet outside Blighty.

So... you switch on your VPN... set it to "UK"... and then connect to the BBC website.

The BBC now think you are in Blighty and let you listen (providing you have registered with them and have a TV licence).

With some VPNs the BBC have cottoned on and still block you but you can get around this too.

That is in the advanced lesson. :whistle:

If you want to contact Trump, I recommend choosing Russia as your location on your VPN in order to make you email more interesting to him and his cronies.

JJ :cool:

PS. The VPN doesn't use up much of your data whilst "hiding" you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
One other hint. If you use a VPN on your source phone. Ie your hotspot. The other devices won't see the source and won't pick it up..
I tried getting BBC iPlayer on my tablet connected to my phone using the hotspot on it and it just won't load anything as soon as I stop the VPN it connects.
I'm in the UK.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can anybody tell me whether, once I am connected to iplayer via a VPN, I am using my sim data or the VPN data to download?

Many thanks.
Not sure if you have had a simple answer yet :) but you will be using your sim data. From the perspective of your device connecting to the VPN is just like connecting to any other website.

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
Shropshire lad
Jan 16, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for your replies. What I am trying to get at is whether once I am connected to the VPN does the download come off my VPN allowance or my sim data allowance?

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
If you have a VPN allowance (and I've not come across this ) then the answer is ...... both

Event if you don't have a VPN allowance then the answer is still..... both

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Not sure about the meaning of the question But regardless you are using data on the devise you are connected with. If you imagine a triagle with points A B &C. And you are at Pint A and want to get music from Point C it doesn't matter if you go direct A to C or from A to B then to C your data usage will be the same.

The difference is that if you go A to C then C will know that A has the music, however if you go A to B then to C. C will then think that B has the music and have no knowledge of A

In either case you will be using data on the phone (if it is a phone that has the SIM card)
Hi.
I wish you were the Maths teacher when i was at school..I do remember DOTAAT. Do one thing at a time,guess looking out the window did not count(n)
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Shropshire lad
Jan 16, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
Since 2016
When you join Tunnelbear you get an allowance each month FOC. If you want unlimited download you have to subscribe.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
When you join Tunnelbear you get an allowance each month FOC. If you want unlimited download you have to subscribe.
What this means is Tunnelbear restricts the amount of data that passes through their servers if you use the FOC service, it has nothing to do with the data allowance you get from your internet provider which will be consumed in the normal manner as if you were not using a VPN.
I

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
But forget watching TV, even if you have a very fast connection, which will be necessary, your allowance will vanish very quickly, it could be around 1GB an hour or even more.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
When recently in France SWMBO has a thing about a certain Roger Federer. I downloaded a VPN hoping to hide behind it to watch BBC Wimbledon. Maybe it's the one I chose but Mr BBC noted my cunning plan and refused to play. Major disappointment.
However I fired up my trusty 3 Mifi and much to my surprise, the i player worked. So holiday saved, marriage saved Mr Federer did his stuff and we watched it all on my iPad whilst sipping wine in the MH whilst sitting in Bayeaux.
Why it worked I dunno it just did..

Reactions: DBK
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
When recently in France SWMBO has a thing about a certain Roger Federer. I downloaded a VPN hoping to hide behind it to watch BBC Wimbledon. Maybe it's the one I chose but Mr BBC noted my cunning plan and refused to play. Major disappointment.
However I fired up my trusty 3 Mifi and much to my surprise, the i player worked. So holiday saved, marriage saved Mr Federer did his stuff and we watched it all on my iPad whilst sipping wine in the MH whilst sitting in Bayeaux.
Why it worked I dunno it just did..

Possibly because your mifi sim has a uk ip address but that's just a guess on my part.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

Thanks for the explanation... one learns stuff every day. (y)

A lot of VPN's have a monthly data allowance and once you reach it the VPN turns off.

As above... haven't come across that with my VPNs but then, I pay for one of them. ;)

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back