Data Sim (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you want a cheap data sim try pc world are doing a three 1gb prepayed sim for £2.99 they call it a 35065 sim

David

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a word of caution, '3' have a very old network of transmitters and are having major problems so make sure you can definitely get a good signal where you intend to use it and ask in the shop before you buy it, then if you can't, despite what the coverage checker may say, you should be able to get your money back.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Just a word of caution, '3' have a very old network of transmitters and are having major problems so make sure you can definitely get a good signal where you intend to use it and ask in the shop before you buy it, then if you can't, despite what the coverage checker may say, you should be able to get your money back.

That's certainly not the case. Where on earth did you get that from ? :ROFLMAO:
Three also lease by far and away the fastest access network (backbone) out of all the providers. I should know ... we provide the access network for both Three and EE :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Not so sure. Driving up to York from Reading, the 3 signal never got below 3 bars, and the children managed to use 1.8GB, despite being under strict instructions to not stream video.

If any network has problems with their 3G backhaul, it is Vodafone.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

The only places I've had a problem with 3 were at Jaws' first meet at Thetford Rugby Club and Malvern showground last year. Solved the second by hoisting the MiFi on the flag pole (as recommended by Jim) but didn't know about it at Thetford. I have, in past years, had plenty of problems with T-Mobile, Vodafone and O2.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
so how long will 1gb last one post on fun:Eeek:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Three also lease by far and away the fastest access network (backbone) out of all the providers. I should know ... we provide the access network for both Three and EE :thumb:
Well perhaps you're not quite so 'in the loop' as you think you are! But, if that's the case and you don't think there ARE any issues then you'd better get your butt over here and sort out the bloody awful '3' network we have round these parts, so much so that Carphone Warehouse have stopped selling their products due to the problems with connecting and using the '3' network - and that is TRUE.

We have been '3' customers for years and years and due to the problems, which '3' THEMSELVES have confirmed, we have been given some money back by them and are currently having to buy T-mobile sims to use in our mifi (the fastest 3g/4g one you can get!) as we can hardly use 3 at all ...

The lady in the Chief Executive's office confirmed what she'd said to me on the phone in an email, extract below:
The network in your area is degraded at the moment and our engineers have been working hard to resolve it and restore full service. However, we do know that this will be ongoing for some time.
She's hopefully that by the end of June things will have improved as the new 4G network should be up and running round here and alleviate the 3G problems they have - every time they 'repair' one bit it has a knock-on effect to another bit apparently ... and so it goes on. We're therefore hopeful that by the time we come back off holiday in early July we'll have a '3' network that is usable again otherwise I don't know what we'll be doing! :cry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I remember you mentioning 3 problems in your area before Mel but that does not extend to the country as a whole.

From what I was told a while ago the reason Carphone Warehouse don't deal with 3 is to do with contractual issues rather than any network reliability.

OP
OP
The Wino
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
At £ 2.99 I would take a punt mine worked fine thought about buying a few at this price cheaper than top ups .

David

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007

I recently switched from Vodafone to 3. I checked on their website the coverage, fine no problem, I went into the 3 shop in Nuneaton to switch over, they checked coverage, no issues. Once they had switched over, I found I had issues,
Checked again and this is what they say about my postcode,today...
3G. Calls, Text & Data. Very good service.
Advanced 3G (DC‑HSDPA). Calls, Text & Data. Very good service.
You can make calls, send texts, and use the internet in most instances on our Advanced 3G DC-HSDPA network. However, the signal strength may vary, especially when you're indoors.

Can I get internet? NO

After several calls to India and eventually an e-mail to the CEO eventually agreed that the coverage in my area was not as claimed and they sent me one of their boosters, which links into my router, no 3 may have a good network but as has been posted its not always as they claim.

Having said that, I do get FULL 3g on Anglesey..

Chris69

Free Member
Feb 5, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
Hi David
Thanks for the info on sim.
Do you know what the cost of top up is after 1st month as I cannot find info on PC World website?

Chris

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
.. the bloody awful '3' network we have round these parts..

The same around here as well. I was a 3 customer for 7 or 8 years, more or less from when they first appeared but the service here suddenly disappeared, not even a phone signal never mind data. Their famous customer service department denied there was a problem and refused to discuss it so I cancelled my contract.

I do have a 3 Wifi dongle that I bought as an emergency stopgap for a few days when I was between providers as it was cheapest and even now it is very very patchy - drops in and out all the time, and that's in an area where the coverage checker says the coverage is good.

I agree that at £2.99 it's worth a punt but don't expect too much.

OP
OP
The Wino
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi David
Thanks for the info on sim.
Do you know what the cost of top up is after 1st month as I cannot find info on PC World website?

Chris

No as I said I was going to bin it gif gaf is about the cheapest if ou want one to top up but is £5 for 500mb so almost 4x the cost!!!
David

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Well perhaps you're not quite so 'in the loop' as you think you are! But, if that's the case and you don't think there ARE any issues then you'd better get your butt over here and sort out the bloody awful '3' network we have round these parts, so much so that Carphone Warehouse have stopped selling their products due to the problems with connecting and using the '3' network - and that is TRUE.

We have been '3' customers for years and years and due to the problems, which '3' THEMSELVES have confirmed, we have been given some money back by them and are currently having to buy T-mobile sims to use in our mifi (the fastest 3g/4g one you can get!) as we can hardly use 3 at all ...

The lady in the Chief Executive's office confirmed what she'd said to me on the phone in an email, extract below:

She's hopefully that by the end of June things will have improved as the new 4G network should be up and running round here and alleviate the 3G problems they have - every time they 'repair' one bit it has a knock-on effect to another bit apparently ... and so it goes on. We're therefore hopeful that by the time we come back off holiday in early July we'll have a '3' network that is usable again otherwise I don't know what we'll be doing! :cry:

1. I don't work for Three, so will keep my butt right here. Thanks for the invite though. :thumb:
2. Three kicked Carphone Warehouse off their approved vendor list for contractual (financial) reasons. Nothing to do with CPW being unhappy with Three / network issues. Phones4U were removed in 2012 (?)
3. Now that you've put the issue into context it sort of makes sense. It's "just" a local network issue, and not a national MSO :winky:. These happen on all networks and at all levels.
4. The long lead time to fix is purely down to them waiting for the scheduled 4G upgrade, rather than spend money on a repair. Or (as I know goes on) robbing another cell for spares - hence moving the fault from one area to another

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
1. I don't work for Three, so will keep my butt right here. Thanks for the invite though. :thumb:
2. Three kicked Carphone Warehouse off their approved vendor list for contractual (financial) reasons. Nothing to do with CPW being unhappy with Three / network issues. Phones4U were removed in 2012 (?)
3. Now that you've put the issue into context it sort of makes sense. It's "just" a local network issue, and not a national MSO :winky:. These happen on all networks and at all levels.
4. The long lead time to fix is purely down to them waiting for the scheduled 4G upgrade, rather than spend money on a repair. Or (as I know goes on) robbing another cell for spares - hence moving the fault from one area to another

Hmmm ... well all I can say is from other postings whilst some don't have a problem, others do so something isn't 'right'. You really don't want to be in the shops when people are complaining about the awful '3' network, it happens not only in the Carphone Warehouse (CW) shops but the '3' stores too - I know 'cause I've been there, seen and heard it and is is NOT pretty - I really feel for the poor staff who know full well that it is totally out of their control! There are a LOT of unhappy users (I've met a lot!) and many are moving to other providers, despite it costing quite a bit more, due to the problems with the '3' network - I've spoken to quite a few customers and this is a fact.

I do wonder whether the 'financial' reason that '3' allegedly kicked CW off their list has anything to do with CW being unhappy with the service that customers were getting and perhaps withheld some payments to '3' until it was sorted? If I was CW I certainly wouldn't be happy handing over money knowing full well that '3' couldn't, or wouldn't, provide the service being paid for. Or perhaps because CW wasn't selling enough of their products due to the problems they knew they were going to have (they're not going to go asking for aggro are they!), so didn't meet targets? I doubt we'll ever know but regardless of the reason it is absolute cr@p and that is putting it VERY mildly!:Angry:

We are in a 'black hole' land-line phone/broadband area 'monopolised' by Kingston Communications (KC) as no other provider of these services will come here so we either have to have mobile broadband or stick with the abysmal and expensive offering by KC. Even Sky, who's packages include 'free' broadband don't provide it here! :Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We stayed on a THS at Yarwell near Peterborough last night. Don't have a Vodafone SIM so couldn't check that. EE signal was non-existent. Giff Gaff (O2) was OK for voice but not data. Three had voice signal plus a data signal which was fine for e-mails but not for surfing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back