Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This is a promotion that ends in June, but historically, it keeps rolling over.

The EuropaSIM tariff is not a 'promotion', however the ability to use the EuropaSIM tariff in USA is a promotion that ends on the 15th June. This is something neither we or EuropaSIM have ever advertised for that reason.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
we keep getting the messages in Italian about the advanced options (with text and calls etc) but of course its in Italian

The EuropaSIM comes with 25 outgoing minutes, 25 incoming minutes and 50 text messages by default, this is part of your 3 euro daily package.

However we don't recommend using them because depending on which country you are in, how you dial the number (+44 or 0044 etc) and what that number is (eg do you know what the Spanish equivalent of a premium rate number is? It's not always apparent) different charges can result. In addition you have an Italian number which can complicate things. The Toggle SIM is far better suited to calls , we feel.

When we sold the 'original' EuropaSIM the #1 support request was customers unable to manage a 100Mb data allowance and becoming dissatisfied when they consumed more than 100Mb and lost their remaining credit. Understandable, but often difficult to explain to a customer as even I have difficulty 'visualizing' what 100Mb means when browsing as some website are deceptively big - eg Motorhome Fun's homepage is 1Mb(!) - 1% of that.
However with the new tariff there is no penalty for exceeding your data allowance - speeds just slow down.

Some customers get on fine with calls, but you could 'loose' some of your credit by using it for calls and so in my opinion, I would consider the EuropaSIM a data only SIM.

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
I suppose I should not be lazy and go the 3 website but it is probably quicker to find the answer here. So If I had a 3 phone on contract or payg the charges would be the same whether I am using the phone in Ireland or the UK? There is no extra charges to call the UK from Ireland and the other way round?

2nd bit if someone called me from the UK when I'm in Ireland on my 3 phone they would only be charged the same as if calling me in the UK?

Thanks in advance.
Hi

As far as I am aware, the Europa Sim is basically on a "Vodafone Italia" platform. The same three euro per day if paid direct to Vodafone Italia fives you 50 minutes of calls (25 minutes outward and 25 minutes inwards), 50 text messages and unlimited internet access - yes all for three euro per day in most European countries including places the like Isle of Man that have their own network.

You will need a Vodafone Italia card though. This is a promotion that ends in June, but historically, it keeps rolling over.

Don't forget THREE mobile in the UK is the same price as your UK tariff in certain other countries such as Austria, Italy, Ireland etc.

Russell

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ignore this. Mid-read something. Again. Need new glasses.

Last edited:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I suppose I should not be lazy and go the 3 website but it is probably quicker to find the answer here. So If I had a 3 phone on contract or payg the charges would be the same whether I am using the phone in Ireland or the UK? There is no extra charges to call the UK from Ireland and the other way round?

2nd bit if someone called me from the UK when I'm in Ireland on my 3 phone they would only be charged the same as if calling me in the UK?

Thanks in advance.

Your charges 'abroad' in a Three Like Home country would be the same in Ireland (or Austria, Denmark, Italy, Sweden) as if you was in the UK.

Therefore you can use your phone abroad to call the UK, go online and receive calls as if you was in the UK. However you couldn't call an Irish number for 'free' unless this was part of your original tariff.

Three website is playing up at the moment, but here are the links:
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home
Broken Link Removed

It might be better therefore to consider the Toggle SIM for calls. If you have connections in Ireland you can have one phone with both a UK and an Irish mobile number on. You can receive calls for free in most of Western Europe and call back to the UK or Ireland (if you have the Irish number activated) for 3p a minute to landlines and mobiles.

Link Removed

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
That sounds interesting. Will it work in a mobile WiFi thingy? I did get an unlocked one.

Got it running in my 4G Huawei 5776 MiFi....... I've briefly even had 9 devices connected on one occasion...
:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
this sim is for data only i wouldn't use it for calls or messages
i always use my 02 for calls abroad on my business tarrif and i believe anyone can get this add on it costs me nothing but my inclusive minutes to phone a uk number abroad(mobile) and when i'm abroad it costs me 50p connection charge only and that allows me 59mins on a call

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The EuropaSIM tariff is not a 'promotion', however the ability to use the EuropaSIM tariff in USA is a promotion that ends on the 15th June. This is something neither we or EuropaSIM have ever advertised for that reason.

Hi

I am talking about Vodafone Italia SIM cards, not Europa Sim. Vodafone Italia website clearly states, in Italian, it is a promotion. I make no reference to Europa SIM as I know nothing about it and equally don't like the set up fee etc.

If anyone gets stuck with Italian text messages, please ask!

Parlo bene l'italiano!

Russell

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Europasim

Hi

I am talking about Vodafone Italia SIM cards, not Europa Sim. Vodafone Italia website clearly states, in Italian, it is a promotion. I make no reference to Europa SIM as I know nothing about it and equally don't like the set up fee etc.

If anyone gets stuck with Italian text messages, please ask!

Parlo bene l'italiano!

Russell

Russel, From what I have read and been told on here and by Europasim from Genrmany and from what I have seen on other wed sites the Europasim is a Vodafone.it simcard, not arguing with you, just confused now. perhaps we are looking at different products or webpages. Are Vodafone.Italia and Vodafone.it (which is what is supplied by Europasim) not the same thing?

Last edited:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
mobile

Hi

Vodafone Italia is the "background" operator for EuropaSim, just llike here in the UK Tesco Mobile, ASDA mobile etc do not have their own networks - they are a "shop front" for other UK providers, "piggybacking" on their network. Vodafone Italia is the same as Vodafone.it

The reason I prefer to buy direct from Vodafone Italia rather than Europa SIM is simple - £££££. A Vodafone Italia SIM card is FREE, their tariff for roaming is at present three euro per day for a total of 50 SMS, 50 minutes and unlimited data.

I prefer not to pay 40 euro or pounds or what ever for something I can get for free but appreciate that having a reasonable command of the Italian language, this makes it easier. That said, when I first dabbled with the Italian SIM market in 2007, I spoke only a few words of Italian but with help in shops and asking other customers in stores, it put me on a learning curve!

I have just had a look at the EuropaSIM website and it says "sold out"

Russell

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Europasim

ok i will send l8ers see if it works i know enough about sims but this 1 got me by the balls and wouldnt let go :ROFLMAO:

Hi Bill, I just had a message that a driving licence is not acceptable, it has to be a passport, contrary to what I had been told. Sorry for the confusion which was not of my making.

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Italy

Previously, in Italy, the only way to buy a SIM card or mobile was to show your "codice fiscale" - a bit like a tax or national insurance number.

Passport is now accepted. As far as I am aware, driving licences and other documents are not accepted.

Russell

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
Hi Bill, I just had a message that a driving licence is not acceptable, it has to be a passport, contrary to what I had been told. Sorry for the confusion which was not of my making.

thats ok mate thx i send a passport anyway but now the system keeping pegging out and wont get me onto the net something aint right with this sim i have put the apn in ok so all should be well and the sim has credit ?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
update on my sim it will be going back to the supplier tomorrow all we have tried didn't work so possible dodgy sim but up to now i must say the guy from europasim was extremely helpful so i would say great aftersales service

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Europasim

update on my sim it will be going back to the supplier tomorrow all we have tried didn't work so possible dodgy sim but up to now i must say the guy from europasim was extremely helpful so i would say great aftersales service

Waiting for mine to arrive I will report on how it works/ doesn't work.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Toggle sim for me, on the iPhone using Opera mini browser which will compress the data and I never spend anywhere near €3 per day, also cheap calls back home if you need them. I think I have used about 15mb in the last week with just occasional browsing that is £2.25 would have been 80mb without the Oera mini.

Currently on WiFi at €1 for as long as we stay on the camperstop at Valencia.

Martin

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hi Bill, if you bought it from us ukbill (and even if you didn't), you need to provide a photo ID in order to activate the SIM. If you have not done so and received your EuropaSIM activation confirmation and number the SIM won't work and shouldn't be placed into a device.

Hi Kath, you would have had the SIM activated prior to this. Do make sure you manually specify the APN even if the 'correct' settings appear to be detected or else additional charges may result. Also remember that you can manually specify a network preference (eg 3G only) and the unit will use any available network not just Vodafone UK.

If anyone ever needs any help about EuropaSIM (even if you didn't purchase from us) you know where I am.

Adam
Hi Adam, do you know if I can simply recharge my Europasim by going direct to Vodfone.it so save the top up fee or must I go through Europasim?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Adam, do you know if I can simply recharge my Europasim by going direct to Vodfone.it so save the top up fee or must I go through Europasim?

A topup on the Vodafone site will work, but should for any reason the credit not get allocated to your account (and there is no reason why it shouldn't) then of course EuropaSIM can't support you in tracking it down.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
i think the problem with the sim could have been of my doing due to the fact i placed it into my mifi before obtaining a number and activating it but the sim has now been returned and i await a new sim lets see what this 1 does if it is the same then i will get a refund and use addie at the next show you are at in the meantime thank you for your help :thumb:

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Sim activation

Not so sure its your fault Bill,

Hello,
I received my sim card today and as I have been gven the telephone nunber I placed it in my unlocked iphone. i entered the pin the the card but the phone gave me the message that activation was required. On connecting to itunes I received another message to the effect that the sim was not from a supported carrier, it reads:-

"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.
The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information"

Ian

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Sim activation

Not so sure its your fault Bill,

Hello,
I received my sim card today and as I have been gven the telephone nunber I placed it in my unlocked iphone. i entered the pin the the card but the phone gave me the message that activation was required. On connecting to itunes I received another message to the effect that the sim was not from a supported carrier, it reads:-

"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.
The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information"

Ian

Further to the above. I tried the sim in my wife's iPhone it worked fine. It seems my iPhone had somehow become locked to o2 so that was the problem.They will unlock it for me so all should be fine now.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It Works!

I ordered the Europa SIM and the Huawei Mifi last week and set it up yesterday. This took about an hour and all is now working fine and I have also topped up the card, learning a little Italian in the process!

From my experience, follow the instructions which come with the card and Mifi meticulously, you can't just bung the card in and switch it on. I would also advise doing the initial setup on a PC with a wireless card. I started on a tablet but it defaults to a special tablet interface which is a bit hard to navigate and doesn't look like the pictures in the instructions.

Also, when topping up use Chrome as it translates the page for you, although it won't translate everything, for example when it comes to pay with PayPal there are some Italian buttons to press but it was easy enough to work out what to do without going to the local ice cream parlour for advice.

I was surprised how small and light the Mifi was - just 92g and 95mm long. I have posted about it on a cycling forum as I think it might become part of my bike touring kit from now on.

All in all an excellent product. Just need to get myself to Europe now to test it properly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back