Jo n Steve

Free Member
Dec 2, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We are planning a skiing trip in a couple of weeks and would like some advice on data SIM cards.
We have used 3's 'internet with legs', but was wondering if any of you have found a better deal recently? TIA

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We are planning a skiing trip in a couple of weeks and would like some advice on data SIM cards.
We have used 3's 'internet with legs', but was wondering if any of you have found a better deal recently? TIA
Think there's a sale on with EE including EU data roaming but definitely @Minxy Girl is the resident expert.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
And who, exactly, is this Minxy type person. :sneaky:

Deleted User
Amazon often sell the Three 24gb payg data sim for approx. ÂŁ28. They are not available at the moment but worth checking their website from time to time.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The below is a document about the '3' sims which may prove useful to you:
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/three-mobile-broadband-info-preloaded-data-sims.220/

Whilst there are other providers out there for EU data roaming no-one that I'm aware of can beat '3'.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Minxy Girl is our resident expert, no doubt she will be along soon to assist.

Think there's a sale on with EE including EU data roaming but definitely @Minxy Girl is the resident expert.
... I may be 'resident' but don't pretend to be an expert ('Resident Evil' maybe!) but I do investigate stuff so I know what's what and have used '3' abroad so have experience of it.

And who, exactly, is this Minxy type person. :sneaky:
I'm not totally 'infamous' then .... must work on that! :ROFLMAO:

Keith Edwards

Free Member
Jan 25, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Just wanted to post my experience using data sims throughout Europe. Recently come back from Europe (1month stay) and found the Three 3gb data worked really good. Purchased mine at a very reasonable price from simcardslondon.com/shop

I used about 2.5GB so was getting near to my limits.

RRP ÂŁ16 Three, these guys posted me the 3gb SIM preloaded and ready to go for ÂŁ11.99

I have spoken with them about larger data SIMs as I am going away in spring for 6 months and they reckon they can get hold of the 12 / 24GB Three.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Just had 3 weeks in France & Spain. The mifi I bought on eBay based on a recommendation on here plus a Three SIM from Amazon worked a treat. Thanks to the briefing note from @Minxy Girl I have signed on since returning to the UK to protect my 'complete months' usage.

Probably the only thing I would have liked to have done differently is to buy a 4G mifi rather than a 3G one but the 3G one was half the cost and I didn't know if the setup would work out well for me. Hindsight huh!

Keith Edwards

Free Member
Jan 25, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I also had a 3G MIFI and will look to upgrade to 4G. If I can get my hands on the 24GB from the company that I contacted then I will be set up and ready to go. I noted that they are selling 12GB Data sim cards cheaper then the Three store. I will keep you all posted.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I also had a 3G MIFI and will look to upgrade to 4G. If I can get my hands on the 24GB from the company that I contacted then I will be set up and ready to go. I noted that they are selling 12GB Data sim cards cheaper then the Three store. I will keep you all posted.
You can get the 3gb ones cheaper on Ebay:

Link Removed

OP
OP
Jo n Steve

Jo n Steve

Free Member
Dec 2, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We need lots and lots of gb's....need to keep an eye on work emails and keep two internet obsessed teenagers entertained for the drive.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
We need lots and lots of gb's....need to keep an eye on work emails and keep two internet obsessed teenagers entertained for the drive.

You might struggle with that with Three, my experience is that although it worked pretty much everywhere in France and Spain we went, it appeared to be throttled by the service providers and only good enough for basic browsing email/browsing. I was never able to get a Youtube or BBC video to play. Skype from memory worked occasionally but a bit flakey.

Others may have had more luck.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
You might struggle with that with Three, my experience is that although it worked pretty much everywhere in France and Spain we went, it appeared to be throttled by the service providers and only good enough for basic browsing email/browsing. I was never able to get a Youtube or BBC video to play. Skype from memory worked occasionally but a bit flakey.

Others may have had more luck.

This has been my experience too.

If you really need to access Youtube videos it's best to use McDonalds, campsite, Tourism office wifi etc

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
With '3' abroad it depends on where you are, some areas you can get very good service so can watch videos etc, others you can't but can still use it for email, browsing etc without difficulty.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Found worked well last year in Germany, Italy & Croatia. Found that if it is a bit slow change networks, generally found it faster than the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back