Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Following on from @Figaro, another oh bu**er post. :LOL:

Some may remember me talking about my old Panasonic recorder amid the Desmond Carrington threads a while back, Here and Here.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/desmond-carrington-rip.146987/
Since then on odd occasions I've managed to copy off some of the programmes and convert them to MP3 files using a re-writable DVD and VLC Media player. It is a bit painstaking and during a confused moment I managed to delete the entire HDD drive instead of the DVD on the recorder. :rolleyes:

Googling recovery options last night I found the very firm, at a price, £390 which I can't justify spending on stuff I rarely watch as there's not enough time in the world and £390 is a lot of diesel.
Not the end of the world, it had about 200 titles including 50 odd DC radio shows, but as I still have another 50 or more on the Sky+ box all is not lost. But if I can get it back at a reasonable price, whatever that may be, it would be nice. Anyone used recovery software and recommend something that may work and any knowledge on linking the panasonic hard drive to the laptop would be welcome.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
In the past I have used PC Inspector and been able to recover photos quite successfully. Don't know about anything else it can do as I haven't tried.

Wyn

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Can you physically remove the hard drive, if so you can connect it to your computer with the correct cables and then recover your deleted files with some recovery software.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Can you physically remove the hard drive, if so you can connect it to your computer with the correct cables and then recover your deleted files with some recovery software.

I assume so as the recovery firm require it to do the job, as to linking it to the pc I've no idea without taking the recorder apart. It only happened last night so early days. :)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Do you know the make and model of the hard drive.
I have used old computer hard drive as external ones for storage in the past.

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Do you know the make and model of the hard drive.
I have used old computer hard drive as external ones for storage in the past.

Not without taking the machine apart, but I will. Or shall I copy off the rest of the DC progs from Sky before I ruin it completely, decisions, decisions. :cautious:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have used Recuva many times, with a high success rate:

Broken Link Removed
Used this as well with reasonable success.

Not without taking the machine apart, but I will. Or shall I copy off the rest of the DC progs from Sky before I ruin it completely, decisions, decisions. :cautious:
The key is to do as little as possible to the drive before running the recovery software as parts of the drive, which have been deleted, could be overwritten (therefore unrecoverable).
If you could remove the drive and connect it as a slave drive to another pc this means you wouldn't even have to boot the operating system on it thereby minimizing activity on it.

Somebody is bound to mention it, back-up cherished data!

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Used this as well with reasonable success.

The key is to do as little as possible to the drive before running the recovery software as parts of the drive, which have been deleted, could be overwritten (therefore unrecoverable).
Agreed which is why I won't copy off any more to the drive from Sky

If you could remove the drive and connect it as a slave drive to another pc this means you wouldn't even have to boot the operating system on it thereby minimizing activity on it.

Short of copying it off which is what I was doing there is no backup faciity for an old HDD recorder.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back