Data only Sim with no time limit? (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I think that the Sim does not see tethering in a mifi unit, perhaps it blocks it ?. The sim I used was a 12 gig from 3 in a dual sim phone
I suspect it was blocked because it sensed it was in a phone. It is not sold for use in a phone. It is for tablets and mifis only according to Three. It would make no sense at all to block tethering on a Data SIM because it is designed to be used in a mifi which tethers other devices.

Just looked on Three's website information on Feel at Home and they specifically state that "You can't use your phone as a personal hotspot (tethering) while you're abroad." So that is the reason why yours has been blocked.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
It does get a bit confusing!
There are contract phone SIMs, PAYG phone SIMs, contract data SIMs & PAYG data SIMs. All four types have different T&Cs. These 12 month 12GB SIMs are PAYG data SIMs for use in a Mifi, not in a phone. You can't make mobile phone calls with them, although you can make internet (VoIP) calls if you have a suitable account with an internet call provider.

To use the pre-loaded 12GB, either in the UK or in a Feel at Home country, they do not need to be registered - you don't need to have an account. If you want to use more than 12GB, or keep using it beyond the 12 months, or use it in any non-UK country that isn't part of the Feel at Home group, then you need to create an account & put some credit on it. Then to use it in the UK or in a FaH country, you need to use that credit to buy a Top-Up, which is a data allowance sold in various sizes & durations. For example you can get 500Mb that only lasts for one day, or 1, 3, 5, 15 GB Top-ups that last a month (or until used, whichever comes first). There are various other data sizes available. If you use it outside of those countries, the cost of the data is taken directly from your account credit at a much higher rate than the Top-Up allowance charge.

The pre-loaded 12GB counts as a Top-Up allowance, so even if you have some left, you have to add account credit to use the card outside of both the UK or the FaH group of countries.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
At the moment, and in the UK, I am using a cheap "smart-phone" (bought originally as temporary use for my granddaughter whilst she was here from the USA) with a Giff Gaff Data Sim. It "tethers" without any issues, but expires monthly. I have ordered a 3 Data Sim (12 month jobby) and will see if it works. I had a ZTE Mifi. but it failed to work after a few days, Amazon refunded Me. When it was I tried the phone, which had been kicking about since the Girl went back to Texas, and so far it works OK tethered.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
I don't think 3 is much use on Mull (or indeed where I live) ....anyone know of the best network? I have a Vodafone ipad and an O2 iphone and neither cover the island very well. Anyone use EE?

Unless things have changed since I left Mull last August Vodafone was the only real contender and that varies depending on where you go on the island.
Loch Buie and down to Fionaphort mainly no signal, but pretty good signal along the east side of the island and the Loch Na Keal area. Other companies can be picked up but varies from day to day. You may get a strong signal in one spot and nothing in the same spot next time.
And then it was only 2g at best, 3G was not available.

Shawn

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Are you sure you are talking about the same SIMs? The Three preloaded data SIMs are specifically for Mifis, which are only ever used for "tethering". As I say I and many others on here have used them in that way successfully. It may be different with phone SIMs, but I was referring to a Data SIM.

can you not just put them in a 4g gsm tablet then?

could you please cofirm if you have to put thesim in a mifi, and then tether the tablet to that, seems a bit long winded

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Yes, you could just put a data only sim into a tablet that takes sim cards. However you'll only get to use just that tablet on mobile broadband. Many people will have several tablets and smart phones in their motorhome and using a mifi type device is the only way to satisfy them all with just a single sim card (in the "using a Three data sim abroad scenario).

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Yes, you could just put a data only sim into a tablet that takes sim cards. However you'll only get to use just that tablet on mobile broadband. Many people will have several tablets and smart phones in their motorhome and using a mifi type device is the only way to satisfy them all with just a single sim card (in the "using a Three data sim abroad scenario).

It was just for abroad use I was thinking,

My three phone has an very old stly 3g (not sure if its also 4g)unlimited data contract with unlimited tethering in the uk (@£17.50 PM) so I use that here in uk.

But I get no teathering abroad, a mifi would be a better bet If I was using more than one wifi device, but if using 1 device only it would be better IN that device as as it could used away from the motorhome based mifi (when abroad). unless of course somebody makes a pocket sized to mifi to carry around with you?

is there such a thing?

Deleted User

My three phone has an very old stly 3g (not sure if its also 4g)unlimited data contract with unlimited tethering in the uk (@£17.50 PM) so I use that here in uk.

But I get no teathering abroad, a mifi would be a better bet If I was using more than one wifi device, but if using 1 device only it would be better IN that device as as it could used away from the motorhome based mifi (when abroad). unless of course somebody makes a pocket sized to mifi to carry around with you?

is there such a thing?
Our mifi is tiny bout 2cm by 3cm, I carry this around in UK and abroad, though as a knowhow one. Hopefully will work with the Three data Sims I have ordered. If not they are widely available to buy.

Lin :)

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

is there such a thing?
Nearly all Mifis are pocket sized. And most have batteries that allow them to be used for a good few hours. Ours is about 85mm x 85mm x 15mm. Others are smaller. When abroad I often carry it around in my pocket if I think I may need data on the phone.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Great thread my globalgig euro has not worked since we left the uk, still being charged, forgot my card reader so cant stop the DD response from company is not good. Today pc cant even 'see' the mifi which is switched on and showing internet totally bemused. and rather irritated. Three data sim seems to be the way to go John has been able to use his tablet/phone nearly everywhere we have been.

PeteS

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35yrs
I was in an EE shop yesterday and was told they are bringing out a data card in November to compete with three

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Card with free data use, have a look at freedom pop, drawbacks though UK only, 200mb per month but free no contract no cost. Perhaps good for very light email use!

We use the all conquering 3 12gb data sim in mifi, now very easy.

EE did do a 6gb for 3 month data sim about 15 pounds and some other special offers, but I found could be complicated to activate and UK only.

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
We put a 3 data sim in an iPad and can tether to our other devices.

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
In UK and abroad. We live in Jersey which has just been added as Feel At Home country so yes can now say at home and abroad!

Deleted User
Great thread my globalgig euro has not worked since we left the uk, still being charged, forgot my card reader so cant stop the DD response from company is not good. Today pc cant even 'see' the mifi which is switched on and showing internet totally bemused. and rather irritated. Three data sim seems to be the way to go John has been able to use his tablet/phone nearly everywhere we have been.
Ha that's what I was worried about with ours, we are on the old 12 country knowhow plan and I had a feeling after they refused to put my plan up to 10gb from 5 gb which I've done several times in the past it wasn't going to work abroad.
So thank you I now no cancelling it was right thing to do.
I cancelled it via email to them on Sunday and got the confirmation today, so if you want to cancel they seemed happy to do mine, clearly want rid of the old knowhow customers. Fortunately I've also been able to cancel the payments too.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Got a 3 data sim which I have been using in a 3 MiFi whilst travelling in the U.K. The last few weeks, and its great!
My question is - do I need to put the new one in before I go to France, or can I wait and put it in when this one runs out whilst we are away? Thanks all!

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Does anyone do Data only Sims that you do not to use the data up in a certain time period or loose it?

IMHO time limits on sims are a disgraceful scam and should be illegal. If I've paid for the data I should be able to use it hen I want and not have it "confiscated" if I don't use it as fast as the data provider would like.

I believe Vodafone were the last operator to offer that kind of "account" - and done away with them 6-8 (?) years ago.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I believe Vodafone were the last operator to offer that kind of "account" - and done away with them 6-8 (?) years ago.

MOST of the UK operators have a time limit on use, they vary according to which "package" you buy. For example My Giff Gaff (current) has a 1 month usage after which it expires. I have a 3 Sim in my "dongle" for the laptop, which (originally) cost £10 and lasted a Month. EE currently have limits on use, again dependant on which "package" you buy. ANYTHING not used in the time period is forfeit.!!

Pete

Deleted User
Well ours arrived today, ordered Sunday. All came in separate packets. Opened put into our mifi, instant access no setting up. Using now to test with home WiFi turned off.
Have activated all 3 of ours while in UK.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well ours arrived today, ordered Sunday. All came in separate packets. Opened put into our mifi, instant access no setting up. Using now to test with home WiFi turned off.
Have activated all 3 of ours while in UK.

Now you only have a year on all of them though, ok if you will use it all up before then, but you could of waited to activate them as you can do it anywhere, then have a year from then.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Now you only have a year on all of them though, ok if you will use it all up before then, but you could of waited to activate them as you can do it anywhere, then have a year from then.

I thought you could only activate them in UK - from what you say, it's OK to do it when out of the UK. Thanks for the advice.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Although these 3 data sims are the best deal around for abroad, the signal is throttled, only ever found it good for the basics (email and browsing) in Spain and France. Have mine in ipad and MiFi, never (that I can remember) ever had a good enough signal to watch a Youtube video or a video on BBC website. Don't expect it to work as well as it does in the UK.

Deleted User
Hi yes that's not problem we will easily use them just abroad, bonus is if we have any allowance on return have 9 months to use in UK, I carry the mifi most of time in Uk. We were paying £15.98 a month in Uk for 5gb then putting it up to £25.98 for 10gb when abroad. Had to pay it every month regardless of using. This option will be much cheaper :):):)

Jandc

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
lowprofile
Exp
Since 2008
Just come back from 6weeks I'm France and Spain. 3 simply in mifi was great. Only failed in a couple of spots. Which had no phone signal. Found BBC radio very difficult unless 4g signal but caught up with podcasts via Podbean app. Didn't try video as that would eat data, but used it daily for Google, email, Facebook some Voice calls. Saved mobile roaming costs too with VOI calls too.
Still have about 3g left too

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Although these 3 data sims are the best deal around for abroad, the signal is throttled, only ever found it good for the basics (email and browsing) in Spain and France. Have mine in ipad and MiFi, never (that I can remember) ever had a good enough signal to watch a Youtube video or a video on BBC website. Don't expect it to work as well as it does in the UK.
We didn't find that at all, at least in France and Italy. We were able to use them in both countries for continually streaming of Facetime to our kids, and that takes quite a bit of data. And we used it to stream occasional video feed on BBC news.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back