Data bundles at the moment? (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We used giffgaff abroad and had issues after and coming up to 2 months, we came back after about 10 weeks and had to use the mifi sim to make calls as giffgaff decided we had been away for too long, swore never to touch an O2 based provider again they really were very tedious at the time. Our mifi was vodafone 100gb, and had no issues with this used 98Gb in one month and received no warning i the run up advising us that we had not been in the UK. We promptly switched our phones to ID mobile until this month when switched to Lebara 30 day contract.

All the above (giffgaff, IDMobile,Lebara ) are 30 days packs so you can change the packs, raise or lower as required and with their apps or online it is really easy, no customer services required. These sims are used in our personal phones only, primarily switched to Lebara as Vodafone based (good reception at home) and they supply some international minutes in each pack which is very handy when abroad.

In the van we use a mifi loaded with data and have just changed our Vodafone 100Gb to a new 100Gb Vodafone from fonehouse, but am now considering cancelling this and taking up the superdrug mobile Unlimited offering as although cost is always a consideration, convenience (30 day not 24 months) and data capacity are the primary concerns, 20.00 per month is our budget which am happy to spend for unlimited data. I have checked the T&Cs and also can see nothing relating to fair usage. caps, throttling or an underlying provider terms when abroad or even in the UK.

My only concern and the reason we are still considering what to is that we have found Vodafone to be really good quality, but have read that 3 can be variable, when at Clumber park vodafone managed a low quality signal, 3 had nothing at all.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I tried to buy a vodaphone 100gb sim this morning, and they aren’t available from fonehouse anymore. 60gb or unlimited (which is limited to 25gb abroad). (Just for up to date info)

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
In the van we use a mifi loaded with data and have just changed our Vodafone 100Gb to a new 100Gb Vodafone from fonehouse, but am now considering cancelling this and taking up the superdrug mobile Unlimited offering as although cost is always a consideration, convenience (30 day not 24 months) and data capacity are the primary concerns, 20.00 per month is our budget which am happy to spend for unlimited data. I have checked the T&Cs and also can see nothing relating to fair usage. caps, throttling or an underlying provider terms when abroad or even in the UK.
Just looked at the Superdrug Unlimited data plan, and as far as I can see the minutes & texts are unlimited in the EU, but I don’t think any data is included! They go on about a data cost limit of £52 (or thereabouts), & why would they talk about that if your data was included? That’s how I read it anyway! Hope I’m wrong, as that’s a good deal if I am!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just looked at the Superdrug Unlimited data plan, and as far as I can see the minutes & texts are unlimited in the EU, but I don’t think any data is included! They go on about a data cost limit of £52 (or thereabouts), & why would they talk about that if your data was included? That’s how I read it anyway! Hope I’m wrong, as that’s a good deal if I am!
As Pugsy did I just contacted superdrug mobile support. They confirmed there are no limits on the unlimited plan when in the EU, time or data, no restrictions same as when in UK. Also you can upgrade or downgrade the plan on a monthly basis.

So for myself unlimited when touring, but perhaps less when just short trips in UK.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As Pugsy did I just contacted superdrug mobile support. They confirmed there are no limits on the unlimited plan when in the EU, time or data, no restrictions same as when in UK. Also you can upgrade or downgrade the plan on a monthly basis.

So for myself unlimited when touring, but perhaps less when just short trips in UK.
Did they actually confirm that there are no time limits, ie no 2 months abroad max in one go, as Pugsy didn't get that confirmed by them in his chat? I am very sceptical of this due to it being part of the '3' network who definitely have this restriction so I'd be surprised if a third-party seller had a better provision than '3' customers.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In the van we use a mifi loaded with data and have just changed our Vodafone 100Gb to a new 100Gb Vodafone from fonehouse, but am now considering cancelling this.
Are you sure you can cancel it without a penalty? Normally once you've signed up you can't get out of phone contracts unless it comes under distance selling rules ... best to check.

There's actually nothing to stop you using the Vodafone sim in your phone and tethering rather than putting it into a mifi.

Alternatively you could transfer your usual number to the Vodafone sim and use it in you phone when you're not wanting to use it in the mifi, and then put the sim in the mifi for when you're away and divert the calls to another sim in your phone (a basic PAYG with little/no credit on) that way you won't miss any calls to your usual mobile number (ie that people will ring you on), obviously if you wanted make use of the free calls and texts you'd need to put the sim back in the phone.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Are you sure you can cancel it without a penalty? Normally once you've signed up you can't get out of phone contracts unless it comes under distance selling rules ... best to check.

There's actually nothing to stop you using the Vodafone sim in your phone and tethering rather than putting it into a mifi.

Alternatively you could transfer your usual number to the Vodafone sim and use it in you phone when you're not wanting to use it in the mifi, and then put the sim in the mifi for when you're away and divert the calls to another sim in your phone (a basic PAYG with little/no credit on) that way you won't miss any calls to your usual mobile number (ie that people will ring you on), obviously if you wanted make use of the free calls and texts you'd need to put the sim back in the phone.
Still within 14 days on Vodafone contract so I think can be cancelled.

We use a mifi in the van as it allows more device connections, has much better reception, allows external aerial connections and is useable by devices when we are not in the van.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Did they actually confirm that there are no time limits, ie no 2 months abroad max in one go, as Pugsy didn't get that confirmed by them in his chat? I am very sceptical of this due to it being part of the '3' network who definitely have this restriction so I'd be surprised if a third-party seller had a better provision than '3' customers.
Specifically asked about time restrictions on data use in EU, the response no time limits whatsoever, wanted to check as not clear.

Every other provider's T&Cs has a restriction listed, fair usage, time in UK as opposed to eu, data cap, throttling after data limit but cannot find anything in Superdrug. Do I believe them is a different question, but I do have chat transcript like Pugsy to fall back on. Also it is only a 30 day contract so i can stop and change at any point.

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
I have an unlimited three sim. I have used it twice abroad for six months continuous use with no problems in spite of their t&C's saying otherwise but I do stick to just under the 20gb EU limit each month.
This superdrug option would be great for long termers. Surely there must be some funsters who have been abroad during lockdown who can confirm no restrictions after a couple of months?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I originally posted speculatively about the Superdrug tariff on a previous thread, that I had contacted them and they had confirmed there were no EU limits. I would however urge caution because Superdrug Mobile is built on the Smarty MVNO platform and I would be very surprised if Three's 20GB and potentially 60 day EU use FUP doesn't apply. Get it confirmed in writing, have a backup plan and report back!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've been having a look at the Superdrug SIM again I must admit I find it hard to believe you with get away with unlimited roaming but worth a try.

One thing I did find out with their 30 day contract you can just turn it off & on in the settings. You just turn off Auto Renew, & when you want to start again just turn it back on providing it's within 180 days from when you turned it off. If over 180 days you just have to re-register. Much easier than canceling contracts & taking out a new one.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I've been having a look at the Superdrug SIM again I must admit I find it hard to believe you with get away with unlimited roaming but worth a try.

One thing I did find out with their 30 day contract you can just turn it off & on in the settings. You just turn off Auto Renew, & when you want to start again just turn it back on providing it's within 180 days from when you turned it off. If over 180 days you just have to re-register. Much easier than canceling contracts & taking out a new one.
We also acquired a Superdrug SIM, I knew you could downgrade the plan and upgrade when required. But was not aware of the 180 day auto renewal suspension could be useful.

Looking forward to trying it out abroad, shouldn't take too long to use up 19gb 😁. We have a backup available just in case it blocks us as Giffgaff did and we can work with a 19gb limit if it is imposed.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Further investigation into the Superdrug sim I noticed the max download speed is 22.5 mb/s which could be limiting at home if more than one person streaming. Theoretical max on 4G is 150 mb/s but you never get that normally with a good signal on Vodafone or EE at home we get 40 mb/s but at busy times it can drop to 20 mb/s.
What is worrying is how far the Superdrug sim will drop, may just be a cap and give 20 mb/s when busy but if it dropped below 10 mb/s that could give us problems.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Further investigation into the Superdrug sim I noticed the max download speed is 22.5 mb/s which could be limiting at home if more than one person streaming. Theoretical max on 4G is 150 mb/s but you never get that normally with a good signal on Vodafone or EE at home we get 40 mb/s but at busy times it can drop to 20 mb/s.
What is worrying is how far the Superdrug sim will drop, may just be a cap and give 20 mb/s when busy but if it dropped below 10 mb/s that could give us problems.
It's a bum steer so far - 4 days in and I've 'used all my data' - about 5Gb - Superdrug are 'having problems' with their unlimited data pack and will refer it to their tech guys who will hopefully get back to me within a week! Meanwhile using my old faithfull Giffgaff 15Gb goodybag up.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It's a bum steer so far - 4 days in and I've 'used all my data' - about 5Gb - Superdrug are 'having problems' with their unlimited data pack and will refer it to their tech guys who will hopefully get back to me within a week! Meanwhile using my old faithfull Giffgaff 15Gb goodybag up.
Are you roaming or at home?

Please keep us updated.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Third party 'branded' sellers such as Superdrug often have something in their terms that says that the restrictions by the original supplier apply, or something to that effect, so as 3 restrict it normally I would expect it to have the same clause.
The wife has had a superdrug sim for years as travelling back & forward to the UK; never any problems when here. It is only the 5GB/£10 month one with unused data rolling over for 1 month. Never had a problem I got the same to use in UK when I was there last year & since we have been back here since christmas & stuck due to the virus she has been using it for 8 months. She doesn't have a spanisg sim. Whereas I have both & they are always on. Handy for me the superdrug one as it allows me to use wassap & viber on my spanish card when out.

The other problem you have with whether it all works in the EU or not is that at the moment due to Covid-19 there are no restrictions/limits on any phones.

Surely there must be some funsters who have been abroad during lockdown who can confirm no restrictions after a couple of months?
As above

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I took out a years contract with Vodaphone for 100gb a month..Not a waste when we are at home because had landline disconnected and line internet cancelled.Not as fast but adequate and ok for Catch Up tv etc.BUSBY.

Sep 12, 2011
london
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Currently in Bavaria on Smarty no issues £18 per month for life unlimited data calls and texts. Data cap 20gb per month in EU.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We went into the three shop in Canterbury, and got 3 x 12gb 12 month data sim they are selling them for £20 each. 🙂 Bob.
Double check they are the ones you can use as much or little data per month as you wish as they do one (or used to) that eeked it out at a rate of 1gb per month max.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I took out a years contract with Vodaphone for 100gb a month..Not a waste when we are at home because had landline disconnected and line internet cancelled.Not as fast but adequate and ok for Catch Up tv etc.BUSBY.
The Vodafone 100 GB is great for traveling but I'm looking at getting rid of my landline and I don't think 100 GB would be enough for home use.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The Vodafone 100 GB is great for traveling but I'm looking at getting rid of my landline and I don't think 100 GB would be enough for home use.
You really need to go to CVWA ... Cat Video Watchers Anonymous! :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I can't remember if there's still an unlimited one on offer ... might be worth checking.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We went into the three shop in Canterbury, and got 3 x 12gb 12 month data sim they are selling them for £20 each. 🙂 Bob.
I manage easily on it.We use it for Catch up tv and Prime Video but other than Funsterz ,Facebook,Amazon and E.Bay we don't go on line much..BUSBY

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

I manage easily on it.We use it for Catch up tv and Prime Video but other than Funsterz ,Facebook,Amazon and E.Bay we don't go on line much..BUSBY
The problem is I don't know how much I'm using my ISP doesn't log streaming. You can put apps on different devices to measure data but most of my streaming is done via an Android TV box with an ethernet connection all the Android apps only measure data over WiFi not a hard wired connection. 80% of our TV watching is now streaming.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The problem is I don't know how much I'm using my ISP doesn't log streaming. You can put apps on different devices to measure data but most of my streaming is done via an Android TV box with an ethernet connection all the Android apps only measure data over WiFi not a hard wired connection. 80% of our TV watching is now streaming.
Would your router not provide some stats, Upload / Download, etc...?

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I have gone over totally to mobile internet, to gauge usage before settling on a suitable contract, I used a giffgaff sim 80Gb for £20. Set iPlayer and firestick to lower resolution (can't tell the difference) OH only watches YouTube and I watch some catchup every night never gone above 50GB in a month. We now have a 60GB Vodafone sim each (100GB ones not available when we took out contract) tether to phones no buffering and where ever we are internet is too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We have 2 x 100gb Vodafone contracts and rarely go over 80gb in total but if we do then 200gb is more than sufficient, we've been mobile only (except when Three let us down big style!) for years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back