data abroad (1 Viewer)

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
It's time to renew my phone contract, and I'm going to cut my data. I had unlimited, because I knew we were going away, but they downgraded it so I ended with a hefty monthly payment for a plan I only fully use for a few weeks a year. It would seem much more sensible to get a much lower data package, and a 30 day sim for a mifi type device. (I tried to do this last year, but vodaphone's mifi thingy never worked, and I wound up using the sim in a spare phone and hot-spotting).

Any suggestions for good mifi devices and data? It looks like Vodafone do unlimited sims now, which would be great.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why not get a 100gb phone sim for £8 (24 months) for yourself which isn't restricted abroad, and buy the phone that you want outright, it normally works out a lot cheaper than committing to a contract including the phone. Then you only need to get a sim for your daughter if you think you'll need it.

Upvote 0

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
No-one is sure if you can put them in a MiFi
I have used a regular Vodafone phone SIM in a tablet (iPad) and now in a 4G router. I'm sure it would work without problems in a MiFi device. I'd imagine the operators might be vague or say it's against their T&C's as they also sell data only SIMs for this purpose. I used it in my tablet since January, and it's been in the router over the weekend.

I also buy my phones outright. I then get the phone I want on the service I want, and can switch provider at will with worrying about unlocking the device. Usually also cheaper in the long run. Personal preference, though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
The Vodafone MiFi (or any MiFi) wouldn't work abroad until you logged into the router's interface using either the details printed under the battery or via the Huawei HiLink app and 'turned on' its ability to work abroad via roaming.

Check out Smarty (Three) - they offer a plan where you can change the package that is renewed the following month. This might work for your phone and, if necessary, a separate MiFi. If you have two SIM's you get a further 10% discount. www.smarty.co.uk

If it's data in Europe you want, checkout VOXI (Vodafone) - they offer 45GB of data for £25 all of which can be used abroad. Smarty has a 20GB EU cap.

Hi Addie , could you give me a bit more information how I can do this with my mifi please.

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I use a Vodafone phone sim in my MiFi, no problem, but they won’t tell you that!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can use all phone sims in MIFIs now ... it was changed a year or so back to remove the restriction for them only being allowed in a phone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Why not get a 100gb phone sim for £8 (24 months) for yourself which isn't restricted abroad, and buy the phone that you want outright, it normally works out a lot cheaper than committing to a contract including the phone. Then you only need to get a sim for your daughter if you think you'll need it.

Darn. No longer available (I phoned, and they couldn’t find it, either)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I assume that's with www.mobiles.co.uk? Its only £8.00 for 60gb via Fonehouse.

Best I could see was 60gb for £20, but I was thwarted mid-search by the dog having a fit, so that rather changed my afternoon plans. (He’s fine. Was a bit wobbly afterwards, but able to pinch my daughter’s chicken dinner that she foolishly left on a chair this evening, so not that wobbly! Doesn’t get me far with my data search, though).

Upvote 0

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We have 2 phones and a iPad the 2 phones are on 100gb and the iPad is unlimited all with vodaphone. This means we get to use all of the 200gb on the phones and up to 25gb in the iPad whilst abroad.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Best I could see was 60gb for £20, but I was thwarted mid-search by the dog having a fit, so that rather changed my afternoon plans. (He’s fine. Was a bit wobbly afterwards, but able to pinch my daughter’s chicken dinner that she foolishly left on a chair this evening, so not that wobbly! Doesn’t get me far with my data search, though).
That's the right deal, it's £20 for 60gb but one you do the cashback it makes the actual monthly cost £8.

Romy, Lily and Tazzy send licks to your doggy.

Upvote 0
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Watch out with Vodafone.... allegedly I was using 1gb blocks of data when the mifi was turned off! Over the course of 3 hours from about 2 am one morning I "used" 5 GB of data. I got nowhere trying to explain this to them simply answering "you must be" despite there being a forum discussion about the very problem. Complained direct to the CEO in the end. Some lackey basically said that our kids were logging on... tricky we dont have any... we were accused of lying basically. Never again

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Hello fellow funsters, I am very new to mifi and I am intending to buy a mifi for the van and this thread has provided great info regarding data plans. Can you guys please give me your opinions regarding the best mifi devices to buy. Thanks Pete.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
That's the right deal, it's £20 for 60gb but one you do the cashback it makes the actual monthly cost £8.

Romy, Lily and Tazzy send licks to your doggy.

I thought they usually factored that in? All the others I’ve seen have had prices with and without cash back.

Upvote 0
Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Hello fellow funsters, I am very new to mifi and I am intending to buy a mifi for the van and this thread has provided great info regarding data plans. Can you guys please give me your opinions regarding the best mifi devices to buy. Thanks Pete.
We simply bought an unlocked - not tied to any mobile company - Huawei 5577cworks perfectly everytime whatever company sim we install. Make sure you set mifi to roaming in the uk before you go abroad.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I thought they usually factored that in? All the others I’ve seen have had prices with and without cash back.
It depends on the site, this is the Fonehouse one:

The total cost is £20 x 12 = £240 less £144 cashback = £96 divided by 12 = £8 per month

Upvote 0

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Given Gove has only just announced his Brexit customs arrangements - including higher data roaming charges in the rest of Europe - is it clear if existing contracts that last beyond this year will be honoured?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wellington

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
It depends on the site, this is the Fonehouse one:

The total cost is £20 x 12 = £240 less £144 cashback = £96 divided by 12 = £8 per month

So it is. Fonehouse show you with and without cash back prices on their phone deals, but not their sim onlies. Peculiar. Got one, anyway. That’s 160gb of data and after that, it’s DVDs!

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We are just back from 18 days in France and used the Vodafone sim in a mifi over numerous devices,including an Amazon firestick. It worked faultlessly getting a signal everywhere we went. We used as much as we could to check the usage and if there was any limit to our 100gb package. And we used at least 40gb with no problems! (y)

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
EE are saying they have no plans to charge for roaming.
They are waiving the fair use policy for the duration of the pandemic according to the texts I received when entering France and Switzerland

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back