Dashcam/ security cam question (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
seen all the threads about how good dashcams are so decided to get one, well the one I have chosen is supposed to work as a security camera as well so thought that's a good idea, but now I'm not so sure, to use it for security, obviously it's got to stay in the window all the time, now thinking about it is that good or bad, will it act as a deterrent or just another thing to attract thieves to pinch and have the opposite effect, what do you all reckon, what do you do.(y):)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have dashcams in both car (front and rear) and van and leave them there permanently.
Only guessing but they aren't as expensive as sat navs so probably less incentive to steal.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Leave mine on the screen permanently.
oOne thing I have noticed in Germany drivers always leave their satnavs on the screen that is something I wouldn't do, I assume they don't have as many toeraggs over there as we do, that may have changed since Merkel opened up their country to all and sundry.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I need to remove our one if the blinds need closing, wild camping or when in storage otherwise it stays where it is if the silver screens are used. I use a RAM heavy duty windscreen mount which transfers no vibration through to the camera giving excellent picture stability and can be removed and re sited in seconds. On our cars the cameras are fitted permanently behind the rear view mirrors.

image_4.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Because we have blinds which close almost in contact with the glass, I have drilled a hole under the drop down bed and my camera is permanently suspended from there.

I am happy to leave the satnav attached to the dashboard: if someone breaks into the van, there are far more valuable items readily available to steal. Not only that, but with wrap-over locks on the doors (plus a StrikeBack alarm) the "easiest" way in would involve breaking the windows or skylights, which would ruin the trip anyway. (Perhaps a satnav is tempting to any toerag but surely most folk would realise that a MH is virtually a mobile bank of goodies?)

Enjoy the journey and don't worry too much is my advice - Gordon

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for the answers , I shall wire it in permanent then.
Btw this is another of the strange eBay items that you can't tell if they are from here or China, had emails from two different addresses and neither of them are the one the listing was under(n)(n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back