Dashcam rear camera cable length (1 Viewer)

May 25, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
2015 PVC, now from 2020 Coachbuilt
I have a cheapo dashcam with rear camera which works well and was planning to put it on my M/H. However it was a car dashcam so the rear cable length is about 5 metres (micro USB plug to 5 pin connector to rear camera). Having researched, they all seem to be about 5-6 metres because of voltage drop if any longer. A couple of manufacturers said that 5-6 metres is usual although 7 metres is possible.

On my 7m M/H I reckon that I need at least an 8 metre cable if going underneath, or about 11 metres if going inside (which is less hassle).

So, the question: has anyone put one of the little rear cameras on a longish M/H to feed a standard cheapo dashcam at the front, and if so what was the cable run, does the rear camera still transmit a reasonable picture, and what dashcam model and/or extension cable was involved? If necessary I'll ditch the cheap one and invest in something better but only if I know it will work! (I am a bit puzzled because I put a twin rear/reverse camera on a previous M/H with a 12.5m cable length and that was no problem!)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I bought ,& have used both, 2 x 10m cables on amazon as the 5m supplied weren't long enough.

*Oh pictures on both are perfect. One is rear view at high level other is a number plate light reversing camera.

OP
OP
T
May 25, 2016
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
2015 PVC, now from 2020 Coachbuilt
Thanks Gus and apologies for delay in acknowledging. You are correct, although some of the dashcams seem to be unable to cope with long cable lengths to the rear. In the end I went for a mirror monitor with a 2.5K integral front dashcam and a 1080p rear camera which can be set to default view as a rear monitor. So £108 for those (with 8m rear cable) plus 2 x 2 metre rear camera extension cables (2 x £10) giving a total run of 12m to the rear. I did not notice any deterioration in video quality and for £128 am really pleased. It was all 4 pin cable BTW.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I bought a decent twin camera system from DRW Electronics, you choose which cable length you want which is either 10 or 15m. Cost around £150 but has worked very well for quite a few years.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
You don't need to worry about volts drop on 10m cables at the small current they will be carrying.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You don't need to worry about volts drop on 10m cables at the small current they will be carrying.
Actually on the top quality Hong kong fuey ones I bought they were the same as the supplied cables in having a loose 12v fly red lead at either end going in to the plug. connected them & there shouldn't be any drop I guess ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I did something similar with a not so cheap camera system which needed a longer wire
Fortunately I have a selection of spare wiring for my model railway so I chose some old Telephone wire which also has three armour cables (the outside stuff from pole to house) and used that gives us seriously good rear mirror views - better than the build in rear camera - and of course records all the views

I added around 4m to extend ours to us it on our 7.94m motorhome and ran it along the inside of the chassis members for protection and obviously used solder and shrinkwrap on the joints

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Actually on the top quality Hong kong fuey ones I bought they were the same as the supplied cables in having a loose 12v fly red lead at either end going in to the plug. connected them & there shouldn't be any drop I guess ?

Tiny volts drop over that distance with small currents

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back