Dashboard Web Cams (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
You get what you pay for..............probably.
I have used a Blackvue for three years or more and it has been excellent. Not the cheapest by a long way but it's never let me down. The newer Nextbase (I think that's right) range seem to get very good reports.

If you click on my YouTube link below this post you will see loads of short videos recorded on the Blackvue.

Richard.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Ive used cheap eBay ones for around a tenner.

Bought one from a member on here i think was around twenty quid.

Recently bought a road hawk off eBay.
All worked ok but the more you spend the better the replay quality

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
They generally have quite a wide angle lens on them that lessens the effects of vibrations and make watching footage back more, erm.... enjoyable. Not sure that's the correct wording as mostly what you see is pretty boring unless you are on holiday in some beautiful scenery.
I mounted my roadhawk on the underside of the drop-down bed with a hardwire kit and whilst it does move around quite a lot over bumps it is watchable.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have mounted out nextbase on the windscreen and got perfect pictures. However, have to take it down at night to close the remis blinds. So now we have mounted it on a piece of rigid plastic sheet clipped on the Ducato dash clip and cushioned by a piece of rigid foam. Footage looks ok on the tiny screen but you can see the engine vibration on a larger screen even when vehicle stopped.
Have to agree with @Figaro though, footage pretty boring even if you only save the best bits. It's even worse if your camera records sound!:rolleyes:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a roadhawk hd mounted centre on screen with enough clearance from blinds to leave in place. Perfect video worth watching after following cyclists :)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I have one, still in its box, as it has been for a very long time. Thinking I must get around to fitting it soon. Do people generally have them running all the time, or do some of you only turn it on if you think you're going to see something interesting?

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I have one, still in its box, as it has been for a very long time. Thinking I must get around to fitting it soon. Do people generally have them running all the time, or do some of you only turn it on if you think you're going to see something interesting?
No point in not having it running.
By the time something 'interesting' has happened it will be too late to switch it on.......................unless you have a very accurate crystal ball installed. :D

Richard.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
No point in not having it running.
By the time something 'interesting' has happened it will be too late to switch it on.......................unless you have a very accurate crystal ball installed. :D
Well, yes, but I thought perhaps it depends on why you have it. People like yourself provide useful videos of approaches to aires, for example, so I wondered whether they were turned on all the time or just for specific purposes. Clearly in your case it's the former.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Well, yes, but I thought perhaps it depends on why you have it. People like yourself provide useful videos of approaches to aires, for example, so I wondered whether they were turned on all the time or just for specific purposes. Clearly in your case it's the former.
The aires videos are just a by-product of having the dash cam on all the time. Just extract the footage required after arriving on site and then edit.
The main reason for the cam is as defence in case of some cranky French driver (other nationalities are available) causing an accident.

Richard.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It runs all the time whilst ignition on in our case as plugged into cab 12 volt. Primary purpose for "evidence" in case of accident. The nextbase has an automatic save function if it detects a collision. It also has a save button so you can save the current segment of film. It stores the video in 10 minute segments and overwrites old ones when SD card full. However it will not overwrite saved segments.
I have used it when I witnessed a bloke being knocked off his motorbike and I offered the camera evidence to him.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We are also looking for a reliable dash cam. Bought two cheap Chinese ones off eBay (one for car) and both are rubbish; sometimes they come on with ignition and at other times they just show a fuzzy screen. Also, one of them often asks for SD card to be inserted when the card is already in place!

Now looking at Nextbase but they seem to be around £80. Which model Nextbase do you have?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Once turned on in Spain it is not turned off again until l arrive in Essex. It's an @Jaws special.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We are also looking for a reliable dash cam. Bought two cheap Chinese ones off eBay (one for car) and both are rubbish; sometimes they come on with ignition and at other times they just show a fuzzy screen. Also, one of them often asks for SD card to be inserted when the card is already in place!

Now looking at Nextbase but they seem to be around £80. Which model Nextbase do you have?
Nextbase 40ZG Professional from Costco about £120 but about 18 months ago or more.
IMG_1539.JPG

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Many thanks, @Riverbankannie. Amazon has a Nextbase 402G Professional for £79.95 - I think they must be old stock. The only problem that I can see is that my duff Chinese one is hard-wired and I'm not sure if the plug-in connector is the same on the Nextbase.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I thought they would be cheaper now, these things usually come down in price. You might be able to get an adapter.? The Nextbase connector is mini USB same as Garmin Satnav.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I went to local Halfords and bought the nextbase 212 for about £70 after junking the cheap Chinese crap I bought on Groupon last year for about £25. That one constantly wanted the memory card to be wiped but the instructions didn't tell me how to and the menus on the thing were useless. The Nextbase is easy to wipe and the image quality is good.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Another vote for the nextbase units i now have 4 in our vehicles
I got over the Remis blind problem by just raising the blind to the screen mounted camera and then dropping both sun visors :doh:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Another vote for the nextbase units i now have 4 in our vehicles
I got over the Remis blind problem by just raising the blind to the screen mounted camera and then dropping both sun visors :doh:
Ours come together from sides and only stay together if magnetic catches are together or else they spring back.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just wondered are dash cam's real worth having or are they just another gadget.
Not being funny just asking?:whistle:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just bought a new Nextbase 412GW from Argos £129.00 for car, already have Roadhawk HD in Mhome.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ours come together from sides and only stay together if magnetic catches are together or else they spring back.
Guess i got lucky with the upy downy version(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back