Dashboard speedometer fixed vs Hud (1 Viewer)

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Visability on the Speedo on our boxer Autoquest is poor to say the least, particulary km. Is there a decent dashboard one that anyone can recommend, or a decent hud that can be visible in sunlight. Off to France and Spain in a few weeks and would prefer not to be straining to check that I am within the speed limits.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I use a HUD which the previous owner fitted so he didn't have to replace the speedo at great expense when he imported the van into the UK which I have now imported into France??
It is fantastic as you never have to look away from the road, one button to change from KPH to MPH. It is plugged into the OBD computer socket and is very accurate compared to the GPS.
As we live in the South of France the skies are always bright so it was difficult to see so I put some tinted film about 150mm across the windscreen with an extra bit just where the image is. I can now see the speed regardless of sun and it also saves a lot of eye strain. The blue strip in the picture below is the MCC banner then you can see the grey below with the extra bit below with a zero in red which is the HUD image it also has a strip of lights below the speed to show the revs but I didn't have the engine running so they don't show. I left the silver screens on so there is more contract without a distracting view outside.
There is no makers name except www.hud-e.com but if they still make it I can thoroughly recommend this particular one.
A friend has the extra speedo on the top of the dash and having seen men says there is no comparison
But I have only used the one I have got. However if you have a Bluetooth plug in dongle for the OBD port then I think that the Torque app for the phone has a HUD option which may be a way of trying it but judging from mine it needs to be very bright to work in daylight.
Good lick.
Steve

image.jpeg

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I fitted a cheap GPS operated HUD to a imported EuraMobil left hooker we had a few years ago and it worked well and for the same reason without having to change the speedo.
I thought about using one on our present motorhome for KPH while abroad but I'm put off a bit by having the reflective patch that's needed to get a clear readout stuck on the windscreen which does not look nice from outside the vehicle.

Streetwise do one that has good reviews or about ÂŁ45 which I was tempted to go for.

There are plenty of reviews of HUD's on YouTube if you want to make a judgement on them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I thought about using one on our present motorhome for KPH while abroad but I'm put off a bit by having the reflective patch that's needed to get a clear readout stuck on the windscreen which does not look nice from outside the vehicle.
The grey tinted foil Les not off putting at all, as I said it is actually better with it and you can hardly see it from outside. Which I took the photo with the silver screen on so as to give some contrast.
I actually have a letter to the original owner saying that they accept the HUD as an alternative to the speedo when he UK registered it.
Steve

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
On the streetwise site it says it's a clear film?

Sort of clear. It's see through but silvery to reflect back the image of the hud unit that projected on the film that's stuck to the windscreen.
It's less obtrusive looking out from the inside as you are looking from a darker interior to a lighter outside. When looking from the outside in it's the brighter light level that reflects back at you from the patch due to the lower light level of the interior of the vehicle.

Here's a photo of our old EuraMobil we had. You can see the patch on the lower right side of the windscreen, but from the inside it was barely visible.
I'm not rubbishing the HUD displays as I think there a great bit of kit but what puts me off a bit is the patch as viewed from the outside and the fact that the patch is advertising to a potential thief what you have.

burt3.jpg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I use a HUD which the previous owner fitted so he didn't have to replace the speedo at great expense when he imported the van into the UK which I have now imported into France??
It is fantastic as you never have to look away from the road, one button to change from KPH to MPH. It is plugged into the OBD computer socket and is very accurate compared to the GPS.
As we live in the South of France the skies are always bright so it was difficult to see so I put some tinted film about 150mm across the windscreen with an extra bit just where the image is. I can now see the speed regardless of sun and it also saves a lot of eye strain. The blue strip in the picture below is the MCC banner then you can see the grey below with the extra bit below with a zero in red which is the HUD image it also has a strip of lights below the speed to show the revs but I didn't have the engine running so they don't show. I left the silver screens on so there is more contract without a distracting view outside.
There is no makers name except www.hud-e.com but if they still make it I can thoroughly recommend this particular one.
A friend has the extra speedo on the top of the dash and having seen men says there is no comparison
But I have only used the one I have got. However if you have a Bluetooth plug in dongle for the OBD port then I think that the Torque app for the phone has a HUD option which may be a way of trying it but judging from mine it needs to be very bright to work in daylight.
Good lick.
Steve

View attachment 206652

Is this compatible with the CT then ? Anything here inside wiper arc is an instant failure.
I had a sunstrip 10cm (4") wide at top of screen that touched wiper arc by a few mm . failed on the spot. Only time the wipers get checked .:D

Sorry, don't agree, this is what you see from the outside.

View attachment 206665
Instant fail here.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It is plugged into the OBD computer socket and is very accurate compared to the GPS.
Not sure what you mean by accurate but if it is plugged into the OBD port then it will show exactly the same reading as the speedo. But the Speedo is rarely accurate. It is allowed to show up to 10% to fast, but is not allowed to read slow at all. The makers therefore usually have to make it read fast because it just counts revolutions of the wheel rather than distance travelled. The actual distance travelled per revolution will depend upon the radius of the tyre at the point it is in contact with the road. That will vary considerably depending upon tyre size, make, pressure and wear as well as load on the tyre.

The sat nav will be more accurate, especially at a steady speed on a fairly straight and level road.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
You can just Download any of the free GPS driven speedo apps to your mobile phone and just use that, with your phone in a cradle or holder on the dash board or in corner of windscreen.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not sure what you mean by accurate but if it is plugged into the OBD port then it will show exactly the same reading as the speedo. But the Speedo is rarely accurate. It is allowed to show up to 10% to fast, but is not allowed to read slow at all. The makers therefore usually have to make it read fast because it just counts revolutions of the wheel rather than distance travelled. The actual distance travelled per revolution will depend upon the radius of the tyre at the point it is in contact with the road. That will vary considerably depending upon tyre size, make, pressure and wear as well as load on the tyre.

The sat nav will be more accurate, especially at a steady speed on a fairly straight and level road.
Pressure and load have no bearing on speedo accuracy. The whole tread has to roll along the road for each revolution of the wheel. Tread length varies little due to pressure and not at all due to load (think tracked vehicle when visualising the tread rolling).

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Standard Garmin sat-nav, units set to KPH, never look at speedo, accurate speed displayed and accurate change of maximum speed limits even in France.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have a HUD app on my mobile phone which displays the speed in KM or MPH. I position the phone so that the display is easy to see without restricting the road view. I also have a Chinese sat-nav that displays the speed and warns me if I am going over the local speed limit.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
The foil I used is the standard dark tinting stuff that boy racers use to darken their side windows not the silver stuff you have shown, you can hardly se it from outside, I will try to take a photo tomorrow when it is light and my HUD projects right to the top of the screen just above eye level so there is little refocusing of the eyes not like looking down to the GPS.
And as I said before almost spot on with the GPS, it may well have a GPS inside it as well and only uses the computer connection to get the revs.
I certainly wouldn't be without it and the dark foil was no problem for the CT and I have to have the stricter heavyweight CT.
Steve

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The foil I used is the standard dark tinting stuff that boy racers use to darken their side windows not the silver stuff you have shown, you can hardly se it from outside, I will try to take a photo tomorrow when it is light and my HUD projects right to the top of the screen just above eye level so there is little refocusing of the eyes not like looking down to the GPS.
A
Isn't it illegal in the UK to use dark tints on the windscreen or front side windows in all vehicles?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Isn't it illegal in the UK to use dark tints on the windscreen or front side windows in all vehicles?
No. UK is one of the few countries that allow tinting of the windscreen , but only to a certain light %, & also forward of the B pillars ( side windows)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I have learned to 'know' what speed I'm driving without looking at the speedo........I know if I'm speeding - I think most do

I drove across France last year without a speedo (cable broken), wondered if I'd picked up any tickets

On the way back I used the HUD on my phone - just placed it where the speedo was

It turned out my speed without a speedo was just a bit less than shown on the HUD - no speeding tickets(y)

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years

The ODB port should give a exact reading of the road speed , the 10 percent inaccuracy is built into the speedo head.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Bought one of these, I can use my spare phone as a speedo using a HUD app. Haven't tried it properly yet as my copilot satnav app isn't HUD-enabled yet but other apps work ok though I haven't tried it whilst moving or at night yet!

Amazon product ASIN B06VT9SKFW

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
speedglow app on iPhone and android. I have a mag mount above speedo and it is so easy to see, no taking your eyes off the road

Attachments

• DAFD17FA-F649-44E1-A1AD-A442B0936BCF.jpeg
    DAFD17FA-F649-44E1-A1AD-A442B0936BCF.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 15

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back