Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
Ford Transit 1997, Duetto.
Before I take it to a garage I would like to try and sort this out myself first.
After washing the van I lost my rear lights and dashboard lights, but I have rear indicators, brake lights and front main beam.
I have check the fuses but they all seem ok.
How do I know which relay serves these lights, and the manual says do not remove the relays in the engine compartment get a garage to do it. So I'm a bit hesitant to try the next stage.
There are some relays in the cab fuse box, but I've no idea which one is it a question of trying them all?
Or should I take it to a garage?
Or widely spray WD40 at any electrical joint I can see.? ( that's my female answer) I'm sure that worked in 1970!

( I will be out all day so I won't be able to read messages until tonight, so I can't reply imeadiately ) thanks

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I would look for the obvious first.You say this happened after you gave it a wash.
Is there a junction box underneath/over or anywhere where water can get in?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Check the fuse first then the rear lights for water ingress, if none found check for junction boxes and work back to the fuse box

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
From memory side lights front and rear on the same fuse with the dash lights s @Leftlegger says check to see what you got wet ,have you a towing lighting socket ? Would still be all the same fuse ,let us know :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I always thought that side lights have two fuses, one for each side so that if one went you would still have a side light back and front?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
If you have a Towbar fitted, check behind the rear light clusters to see if the bypass relay is fitted there and has been flooded with water. I had a similar problem after directing hose pipe on edges of light clusters to clear some dirt and shortly afterwards actually heard the unit buzzing and relay clicking like crazy. As this unit contains contacts for near side and offside lights it may be worth checking. The other poster was right to state it is usually fused seperately nearside & offside. But if enough water has entered the relay unit it could be causing earth problems or even a short.

OP
OP
isitfriday
Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
Thanks for all the quality advice, I'll try and have a good look underneath and around at the weekend. I'll let you know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back