Dash-Cams illegal in Spain ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
In Novembers issue on MMM magazine a person has asked for clarification about Dash-Cams being illegal in Spain with a fine of up to €2000 if caught using one. The Editors response was that they were waiting for clarification on this from the Spanish authorities.
Does any member know what the actual facts are regarding this development. It's news to me.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
ANY screen placed where the driver can see it is. strictly speaking, illegal in Spain, and that includes GPS's** !!
Simple answer re dash cams is to place them to the passenger side of the screen out of reach of the driver and where the driver cannot see the screen

The laws were changes a LITTLE about 5 years ago as they realised making GPS units illegal was folly.
So many new cars were fitted them as standard the Spanish govt would have ended up haing to take on the automotive lobby which is, quite frankly, a total non-starter
For some time a good friend of mine worked in a Lexus main dealers and they had to remove the fuse before delivery ( showing the customer exactly how and where to replace it of course ! )

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Addendum ..
I forgot to say how this info came to me.
A tour of Spain ( semi official and run by one of the large Spanish motorcycle operators ) fell foul of the rules and an awful lot of the bikers ended up with fines for the following:

Having a GPS where it could be operated/seen by the rider
Having intercoms between bikes and or other audio devices fitted in helmets
Having 'loose loads' as many had kit bungy'd to fitted luggage ( not loose of course but the police in question insisted that only cargo straps were safe )
I have been shown one of the tickets issued and with the help of a Spanish speaker can confirm the above happened .
The fines imposed varied but basically they all copped for 100 €.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
ANY screen placed where the driver can see it is. strictly speaking, illegal in Spain, and that includes GPS's** !!
Simple answer re dash cams is to place them to the passenger side of the screen out of reach of the driver and where the driver cannot see the screen
)

I'd just stick a bit of card/plastic over the screen when in Spain, you don't need the screen anyway. I think on some you can turn off the screen, you can on the very cheap(and low res) one in my MH, but not on the HD one I'm replacing it with.:doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The units I have been getting you can turn the screen off.. In that mode it comes on for a about 2 or 3 minutes then goes off

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Not been to Spain in the MoHo, so can't comment on that aspect, but my 'dash-cam' is a complete screen/camera unit which clips over the interior driving mirror. Just looks like a bigger mirror with an under-slung tiny camera which is rotatable and suits both RHD and LHD vehicles. The screen - an integral part of unit - has a switch-off facility, thereby returning it to a driving mirror (which I don't need because my van's got no rear window). Maybe a unit like this would suffice?

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The units I have been getting you can turn the screen off.. In that mode it comes on for a about 2 or 3 minutes then goes off

Good!
I've been turning the bloody thing back on each time it goes blank, resulting in a boatload of files to playback instead of one?
Dunno how to turn it on permanently, but that's ok.

Message here:
leave the damn thing alone and just use it.

Thanks, John.(y)

Techno Muppet, News at 10, N.Lincs.:doh:

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have a Roadhawk HD which doesn't have a screen so presumably no problem.
Me too ! I didn't realise Dash Cam's had screens.!! The post in the November issue refers to generic Dash Cams and does not make any reference to those fitted with a screen. The Editor does say's some sources say their is no problem in Europe and other sources say they are illegal in Spain and waiting for the Spanish Authorities to confirm. Also not aware that Sat Nav's were an issue.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Good!
I've been turning the bloody thing back on each time it goes blank, resulting in a boatload of files to playback instead of one?

Message here:

Thanks, John.(y)

This techno muppet is still trying to work out how the dash fitting and camera cradle go together:whistle:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Good!

Message here:

Thanks, John.(y)

In the menu there is an option re LED Screen.
You can set the default to either off or on (y)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I have done a bit of searching around re the sat nav thing.
It seems you will be ok to use one - as long as 1. You don't 'operate' it whilst driving and 2. You disable any speed camera alerts.
That's the best advice I can find.
Its daft to suggest satnav is banned!!!(y)

Charlie635

Free Member
Oct 11, 2014
Stockport
Funster No
MH
CI CARIOCA
Exp
1 Year
Hi, I have been looking at this camera, it is on evil bay for £40.00 and free p&p.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The actual statement in the MMM Magazine is as follows:
Blah, Blah Blah. (bit about dash cams being illegal). Could you please comment and add to the umpteen vital bits of knowledge I have already gleaned from the pages of MMM.
Reply: ED Yes we have heard conflicting advice on using dash cameras in Spain (and Austria and Switzerland). Some sources suggest there are no problems using dash cameras in Europe, while others say they're illegal in Spain. We're still waiting for the Spanish authorities to confirm the situation but would advise not fitting or using one there until we have official confirmation.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Hi, I have been looking at this camera, it is on evil bay for £40.00 and free p&p.
Speak to "Jaws" he just got 50 for members and i posted the video to help them understand it better........BTW Jaws got ours for £30+ £2.95 deliv.
It may even be much more updated than the model in the video.

Charlie635

Free Member
Oct 11, 2014
Stockport
Funster No
MH
CI CARIOCA
Exp
1 Year
Hi Bobby, thank's for that, I will pm him.
Cheers Charlie

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Chris have a look at this ....all will be revealed

I have the same camera but contrary to the one in the video it displays UTC/date with the GPS Co-ordinates and speed along the top of the screen, there is obviously a subtle difference in the software loaded.
The time/date set manually is therefore not that relevant.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I predict no Funster will be in trouble for having/using a dash cam in Spain.

I predict no Funster has ever been, nor will be, in trouble with Spanish police over speed camera warnings in their sat navs.

I predict that some Funsters will worry/have worried too much over this nonsense.

JJ :cool:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
That's Spain of the list then

I use my iphone as both a dash cam & GPS. The dash cam function is excellent. If in a collision it keeps the last 30 seconds as evidence AND if it detects a serious collision thru its G-meter it'll phone the emergency services and contact your relatives etc to let them know whats happened it will also Tweet your followers. Being GPS equipped the iphone also knows where you are. This information it passes to the emergency services

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Oh Dear! Mention Spain and off they go, CROSS SPAIN OFF THE LIST!!!!! Oh my goodness, I have asked this on many threads you say I am not going to Spain EVER again, pray tell how many people are writing on threads that they HAVE been stopped, charged, fined, paid and how much????? Yes I have seen threads that tell of a mate/ cousin, wife's lover, and a friend twice removed, even reported in some magazine......But who are they? its a bit like the Gassing stories, its always a mate of a mate.

Well I live in Spain, I don't stick to the speed limit, I don't have Policemen stopping me every day, I do have a big sat nav in the window of my car (right in the middle, you couldn't miss it) In 12 years I have been stopped twice, once they checked my papers and the other time they smiled and waved me on. The police are as polite here as they are in the UK and any other country. Yes sometimes you will get nicked by the police, of course that wouldn't happen in any other country....would it??(y)

Mention France, not a problem, mention any other European country....not a problem, Spain....OMG here we go, out they come.

Now I am sorry but I must get ready as I am going down to the beach and have a BBQ.

I would say that I am smiling as I type this, and I wish all of you that will come to Spain in the next year or 2, have a great trip and if you pass my house (A49) drop in for a beer, but not today of course....the beach is calling:D

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Good!

Message here:

Thanks, John.(y)

What's with the Techno bit John? :sneaky::sneaky::whistle::whistle::):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back