joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Its not just this nonsense that's made us decide we won't be going there. Its all the other things the Brits have had to suffer at the hands of the Spanish Authorities such as having their homes bulldozed through no fault of their own etc etc.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Its not just this nonsense that's made us decide we won't be going there. Its all the other things the Brits have had to suffer at the hands of the Spanish Authorities such as having their homes bulldozed through no fault of their own etc etc.

Well, we live in Spain and enjoy it very much.
I guess you should use you MH in the UK only and the RIP OFF prices they charge a MH owner....... to park! I guess Germany will be off your travel list soon as they have new rules as well that are coming.
One less MH to get gassed, robed, stopped for speeding or drink driving, asked to move on, not allowed to use A frame........................ OH............ that happens in every country I forgot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

Ah! Now even that could be discussed, lots of the Brits ( perhaps not all) came to Spain and bought a property WITHOUT doing basic checks, for instance just one of the people that I know (and can introduce you to, so not really hear say) came to Spain, was shown several house that he could buy with the proper checks, then decided to buy a house "Privately" this means that the seller said "I have a house for sale...wanna buy it" yes says your man, and buys it, a year later finds out that the property is "illegal" and (as in the UK) could be knocked down (it hasn't yet) another one : man and wife come to Spain, cannot afford to buy house, so takes out a mortgage, nothing wrong with that, I hear you say, now the crunch bit, he was 70 years of age, she was 66 and they only had UK state pensions...soooooooo when the crunch came in 2007 the Spanish mortgage rates went up and they had to give the property back to the bank, go back to the UK and be rehoused, telling all that would listen, that it wasn't there fault!

Over here we say, just bring a TV crew with a camera and within 5 minutes you will find more hardship stories that you can swing a cat at!. And MOST of the time, it was people trying to live the dream and didn't have the funds to do it.

Once again folks, don't believe all the poor hardship stories that you hear after all, just how many time do you hear somebody say, I made a mistake and it was my fault? Nah! that's what I thought, not many times!

But hang on its Spain....Sooooo it must be true. If you want to know about Spain, may I respectfully suggest that you try asking the members on this forum that LIVE here.(y)

Now I really must get going to the beach:D

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
What's with the Techno bit John? :sneaky::sneaky::whistle::whistle::):)

My elder granddaughters used to call me techno muppet, cos I'm strictly a user, don't pretend to be an expert at shite like facebook, twitter, etc.

They don't now.
Apparently I have been upgraded to "Alien".

I asked the eldest what hash tag meant.
She just put her eyes to the sky and said "Oh, Grandad, you really are an Alien".
Still dunno what hash tag means.

Don't care, really.
Happy being an Alien.
Nannoo, Nannoo.

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
This in Spain November 2013. Luckily damage was confined to ABS sections and my beloved remained drivable. temporary repairs sufficed until we got home.
My insurance recovered 100% from other driver and I even got the excess I had to pay the repairer refunded to my account.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Out of interest, was the driver English? It looks like the driver looked the wrong way, and was going to drive along the wrong side of the road!
Incidently we got hit in Italy, but no dash cam, but mine was much less dramatic, a guy just reversed into us whilst we were stationary.

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Locals in their early twenties :rolleyes:
The driver seemed to wait for the car coming from his right and then forgot to check to his left before pulling out, the fact that he was cutting the corner would make it look like he was intending to drive down the wrong side if the road.
BTW, I did not bring the camera to the notice of the police as I was concerned they might hold on to the memory card as evidence and I wanted to preserve it for my insurance company.

The driver of the car had no defence as her had driven past a stop sign and a stop line with the word stop on the road.

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Ah! Now even that could be discussed, lots of the Brits ( perhaps not all) came to Spain and bought a property WITHOUT doing basic checks, for instance just one of the people that I know (and can introduce you to, so not really hear say) came to Spain, was shown several house that he could buy with the proper checks, then decided to buy a house "Privately" this means that the seller said "I have a house for sale...wanna buy it" yes says your man, and buys it, a year later finds out that the property is "illegal" and (as in the UK) could be knocked down (it hasn't yet) another one : man and wife come to Spain, cannot afford to buy house, so takes out a mortgage, nothing wrong with that, I hear you say, now the crunch bit, he was 70 years of age, she was 66 and they only had UK state pensions...soooooooo when the crunch came in 2007 the Spanish mortgage rates went up and they had to give the property back to the bank, go back to the UK and be rehoused, telling all that would listen, that it wasn't there fault!

Over here we say, just bring a TV crew with a camera and within 5 minutes you will find more hardship stories that you can swing a cat at!. And MOST of the time, it was people trying to live the dream and didn't have the funds to do it.

Once again folks, don't believe all the poor hardship stories that you hear after all, just how many time do you hear somebody say, I made a mistake and it was my fault? Nah! that's what I thought, not many times!

But hang on its Spain....Sooooo it must be true. If you want to know about Spain, may I respectfully suggest that you try asking the members on this forum that LIVE here.(y)

Bill, You are a man that speaks 100% truth and sense. We have a house on the Costa Blanca and love it there. I too have seen firsthand many brits trying to live the dream ( champaigne life on cider money! ) When the crash came they were left stranded because they simply didnt think it through enough, and yes, they blame good ol Espana for their ills!!! On a sidenote, I do detect an anti Romanian sentiment here on various threads every now and then, my wife is from Transylvannia region of Romania and I have to say what a beautiful country it is. The people are very mannerly and well educated ( contrary to what people in britain perceive it to be ) Most Romanians are hard working just like the rest of us, the Romanians begging on the streets of UK and Ireland are a very small minority of Roma Gypsys, We have Irish travellers and the brits have their own indigeonous gypsy people also, its not indicative of the entire nation!! Anyway, rant over.....

I love this site!!!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Locals in their early twenties :rolleyes:
The driver seemed to wait for the car coming from his right and then forgot to check to his left before pulling out, the fact that he was cutting the corner would make it look like he was intending to drive down the wrong side if the road.
BTW, I did not bring the camera to the notice of the police as I was concerned they might hold on to the memory card as evidence and I wanted to preserve it for my insurance company.

The driver of the car had no defence as her had driven past a stop sign and a stop line with the word stop on the road.
Ah, so a pretty standard lapse of concentration incident then. Car drivers do seem to be under the impression that we can stop on a sixpence, when in fact 4 tonnes takes an awful lot of stopping from any speed!

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...

Now I really must get going to the beach:D

I Live in Spain as well and totally agree with you .

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
W
Oh Dear! Mention Spain and off they go, CROSS SPAIN OFF THE LIST!!!!! Oh my goodness, I have asked this on many threads you say I am not going to Spain EVER again, pray tell how many people are writing on threads that they HAVE been stopped, charged, fined, paid and how much????? Yes I have seen threads that tell of a mate/ cousin, wife's lover, and a friend twice removed, even reported in some magazine......But who are they? its a bit like the Gassing stories, its always a mate of a mate.

Well I live in Spain, I don't stick to the speed limit, I don't have Policemen stopping me every day, I do have a big sat nav in the window of my car (right in the middle, you couldn't miss it) In 12 years I have been stopped twice, once they checked my papers and the other time they smiled and waved me on. The police are as polite here as they are in the UK and any other country. Yes sometimes you will get nicked by the police, of course that wouldn't happen in any other country....would it??(y)

Mention France, not a problem, mention any other European country....not a problem, Spain....OMG here we go, out they come.

Now I am sorry but I must get ready as I am going down to the beach and have a BBQ.

I would say that I am smiling as I type this, and I wish all of you that will come to Spain in the next year or 2, have a great trip and if you pass my house (A49) drop in for a beer, but not today of course....the beach is calling:D
Where on theA49 ?

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Been busy looking into Spanish Legislation regarding Dashcams and have found the necessary information but will translate and post tomorrow.

Basically it's a problem with "protection of images" but if you are using one in your motorhome, car, van etc. it is considered " for "Domestic Use" and is legal. The Guardia Civil or Police would never stop you from using one and, infact, if you are involved in an accident and you say you have Dashcam evidence of what happened they would be only too pleased to receive a copy of the information.

More tomorrow. (y)

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Isn't the issue, in any country, that obstructions should not be placed in the windscreen's swept area?

Grounded flier

Free Member
Oct 1, 2015
SW England
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2012
Billy 23 I lived in the Canaries for several years and eventually returned to the UK. However I still have relatives in Spain and we go to visit them doing the rounds so we spend Christmas, New Year I can still eat the grapes before the clock strikes the 12 chime! Tres Reyes and then some time later we might think about returning to the UK. The biggest problem with Spain is not the Spanish, it isn't the Policia, Trafico, Guardia its the bloody British who seem to think that they can do what the heck they want and not have to be responsible. Like you I know of people who bought a house aka a flat for cash and then found out that there was no building permit and then saw it demolished, or drove a car at 10 am chased by trafico who when they stopped itthe driver literally fell out of the car shouting every obscenity he could think of and he ended up in cuffs the female who was with him then started telling the officer "We can do what the **** want so why do you **** off you stupid ******* barstool!" She ended up in cuffs too. The police are tolerant but they have a point at which it is tough you now ride in my car to the lock up. Then there are the British who despite living in Spain for many years refuse to speak the "******* dagoes language" and will openly say "Why can't they learn ******* English" But of course its always the Spanish's fault. What the British need to do is stop listening to rumours, stop making up their minds before they go and panic because I have driven in Spain and the Canaries with a Satnav and Dash Cam visible. The only time I was stopped by Trafico was to check my documents and once they were satisfied that the vehicle was taxed, insured, and had a current ITV I was on my way in minutes. BTW the only reason I still live in the UK is the boss as she has health problems which need sorting out. Hasta luego amigo.

Grounded flier

Free Member
Oct 1, 2015
SW England
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2012
Ah, so a pretty standard lapse of concentration incident then. Car drivers do seem to be under the impression that we can stop on a sixpence, when in fact 4 tonnes takes an awful lot of stopping from any speed!

4 tonnes why that is light! The same idiots think that you can drive a bus through a gap they would not go through on a skate board and that a 44 tonne lorry doesn't need much space as it manoeuvres around a corner. BTW a bus weighs about 10 tonnes and you hit one in your tin can your tin can will most likely end up being scrapped as for hitting a HGV well I just hope the life insurance covers the idiot for committing suicide. Something else the average car driver looks about 6 feet beyond the end of their bonnet - and that is if they are not playing with their iphone etc. and over 95% of accidents involving any large vehicle and a car are due to the car driver.

Grounded flier

Free Member
Oct 1, 2015
SW England
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2012
This in Spain November 2013. Luckily damage was confined to ABS sections and my beloved remained drivable. temporary repairs sufficed until we got home.
My insurance recovered 100% from other driver and I even got the excess I had to pay the repairer refunded to my account.

What was the camera as teh image looks crystal clear. Thanks.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have not read all the thread ( busy decorating and on a tea break !)#

BUT here,.... Says yes.. legal.
Broken Link Removed

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Billy 23 I lived in the Canaries for several years and eventually returned to the UK. However I still have relatives in Spain and we go to visit them doing the rounds so we spend Christmas, New Year I can still eat the grapes before the clock strikes the 12 chime! Tres Reyes and then some time later we might think about returning to the UK. The biggest problem with Spain is not the Spanish, it isn't the Policia, Trafico, Guardia its the bloody British who seem to think that they can do what the heck they want and not have to be responsible. Like you I know of people who bought a house aka a flat for cash and then found out that there was no building permit and then saw it demolished, or drove a car at 10 am chased by trafico who when they stopped it the driver literally fell out of the car shouting every obscenity he could think of and he ended up in cuffs the female who was with him then started telling the officer "We can do what the **** want so why do you **** off you stupid ******* barstool!" She ended up in cuffs too. The police are tolerant but they have a point at which it is tough you now ride in my car to the lock up. Then there are the British who despite living in Spain for many years refuse to speak the "******* dagoes language" and will openly say "Why can't they learn ******* English" But of course its always the Spanish's fault. What the British need to do is stop listening to rumours, stop making up their minds before they go and panic because I have driven in Spain and the Canaries with a Satnav and Dash Cam visible. The only time I was stopped by Trafico was to check my documents and once they were satisfied that the vehicle was taxed, insured, and had a current ITV I was on my way in minutes. BTW the only reason I still live in the UK is the boss as she has health problems which need sorting out. Hasta luego amigo.

We spend a couple of months every winter in Spain in the MoHo (complete with sat nav & rear view camera) and love it - however the one thing that does occasionally annoy me is the behaviour of some of the Brits living there! -

While staying at Camping El Cantal De Mojacar I went into one of the seafront bars one evening, it was fairly empty except for a few Brits playing darts. I asked for a cana (canya) of beer (one of the dozen or so words of Spanish I know) and the Landlady/barmaid snapped at me in a loud voice "we don't serve cana's here - pints or half pints only" so I turned and left to the hostile stares of the dart playing Brits!

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
We spend a couple of months every winter in Spain in the MoHo (complete with sat nav & rear view camera) and love it - however the one thing that does occasionally annoy me is the behaviour of some of the Brits living there! -

While staying at Camping El Cantal De Mojacar I went into one of the seafront bars one evening, it was fairly empty except for a few Brits playing darts. I asked for a cana (canya) of beer (one of the dozen or so words of Spanish I know) and the Landlady/barmaid snapped at me in a loud voice "we don't serve cana's here - pints or half pints only" so I turned and left to the hostile stares of the dart playing Brits!

Me thinks that you were in the UK part of Spain, that is NOT Spain. How do I know.......Barmaids don't Speak English in proper Spain.:D (Edit) and they don't play darts either....

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Me thinks that you were in the UK part of Spain, that is NOT Spain. How do I know.......Barmaids don't Speak English in proper Spain.:D (Edit) and they don't play darts either....

Hi Billy

This Barmaid was the Brit landlady - there wasn't a Spaniard to be seen - not the kind of bar for me when abroad! :(

There were quite a few but not a not a wild amount of Brits about the town to be fair - anyway I just went to the next bar and enjoyed a cana or six in the company of locals plus Brit, French & German Tuggers & Motorhomers :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Having a GPS where it could be operated/seen by the rider........MONEY MAKING EXCERSIZE
Having intercoms between bikes and or other audio devices fitted in helmets.......MONEY MAKING EXCERSIZE
Having 'loose loads' as many had kit bungy'd to fitted luggage......MONEY MAKING EXCERSIZE

Come on, you all know Spain is skint and any way to boost the coffers will be used.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
All dash cams are a VERY useful bit of kit. I had a very near accident with a 9 year old boy when he rode his bicycle down a pathway straight out in front of me fell off and rolled across the road leaving his bike in front of me. I stopped just before running over it and him. Had I hit him I would be hanging out on a cross somewhere for killing an innocent child, the camera would have saved me the arrest and charge for causing death by dangerous driving etc. I wonder if the two men arrested following a 2 am crash with a quad bike on a main road with 4 drunken kids on it, wished they had had one going at the time. Mine is on a rolling reload so it always has the latest bit on it.
If I can edit the boring bit out I will try and post my filmed incident.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I wonder if the two men arrested following a 2 am crash with a quad bike on a main road with 4 drunken kids on it, wished they had had one going at the time.
From the news reports those lads were guilty before they chucked them in the van, all gone quiet now but I wonder what did happen?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back